Builds Shipwreck (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're one of those glass-half-full kind of guys, aren't you? I am too - it's funny, we had one of the best summers here ever - more sun by a substantial margin - by mid-September, I was wishing for the rain as the excuse to get back into the shop... of course, it does bear to mention that my other hobby is Search and Rescue - so the praying-for-rain was also a prayer to get the stupid out of the mountains....

though, with that said, I'm not sure getting him off the mountain was such a good idea....

and I learned something new. 1986-1996 350 Chevy motors use a shallow oil ring. I got the new compressor yesterday, tried it last night and the pistons still wouldn't go in right. I had measured everything and the gaps were fine. I'll have the new rings on Tuesday.... for those who care, the narrow ring set is a Hastings 5615... they are cast iron rings, but I plan on comparing them to the compression rings (I put the pistons in without the oil ring and they went in correctly).... if they are the same, and it's just the oil ring that's the issue, I'll use the molly rings.

So I was curious.... the issue with the rings that came in the kit was it was too narrow (metric rings vs. 5/64 and 4mm oil rings)... which got me thinking, how much different is the old 3/16 oil ring than the 4mm ring? the answer, for those who want the answer now, is "just right".... there were 2 problems with the oil ring the oil rings were just a touch too thick (it's a measurement, I swear) and they were too wide... so, in my thinking, I thought "why not try just the oil ring (not the spacer) from the Vortec in these pistons?" it was a good guess, it worked.

I can't say I got a lot done today... I did get the pistons in, and they went in correctly with the right oil rings... I also went by a wrecking yard and got the power steering/ac bracket and a power steering pump (which is junk except for the pulley). I'm going to have to compare a few pumps - I'd like to use all SAE connections (since the steering box is SAE), and I may even use hydraulic rather than vacuum for the brakes (mostly because I have a booster) and possibly because I might put a motor in it with no vacuum...

Today was a Heep day, so no fun stuff.... but I did find out something, the AX 15 spline is the same as a Super T-10. I may totally cheap out and hit the disk and the pressure plate with an abrasive disk (very lightly) and use this... it came off my Corvette... couldn't hold the power.... worst case is I have to swap it later, but best case is no $$ out today.

and knocked some brackets apart so a friend can sand blast them for me :)

Shiney new parts (woohoo)

There are at least 2 companies that make adapters - Advanced Adapters and Novak. The AA adapter is actually an entire, new bellhousing and costs about $150 more - but it's a new bellhousing.. or the Novak. I went with the Novak for a few reasons... cost, I already had a bellhousing, and interchangeability.... with the Novak system, I can put any bellhousing in front that bolts to the GM 4 bolt set up... heck, I can even do a Ford and just be missing one bolt (yeah, no Fords happening here, but it's an option). Some irreversible modifications have to happen to the transmission though (pictures of that later today)

best of all about my bellhousing, it already has provision for a hydraulic clutch... now, if I only knew what it came from (guess is Chevy truck) as it doesn't appear to be offset like the Camaro

mods needed

onto tonight
where I started tonight

but first, I'm looking for the ring for the bellhousing

this ring

search the shop, the yard, the house (because Bloodhound).. nothing, dammit
oh wait... it's attached to the bearing support... d'oh

to put the adapter on, it requires cutting off the hydraulic throwout support

and cutting down the collar... on a Jeep, this is also part of the bearing support

only requires maybe 1/4" cut off
then I ran into a problem.... the AX15 for a Colorado is different than the one for a Jeep.... it appears it's simply GM cast the housing to mimic the 4L60e 6 bolt design

so I have to either make or find another adapter... not really a big deal, actually.. just annoying it's not easy

so this is it mostly together

One real benefit to using the GM Colorado transmission is warner (as in borg-warner) was involved with Aisin, so the input is 26 spline and the bearing is stock GM ST-10... otherwise, I'd have to buy a custom bearing from Novak.

the bellhousing is 90s Chevy truck... should be easy enough to find a clutch arm for it... I'll go with a hydraulic slave cylinder like is on my Corvette, or get a Jeep hydraulic cylinder (the chevy truck one is that cute all-in-one master cylinder/slave cylinder design)

put that didn't prevent putting the flywheel on

and putting the power steering pump together

so the intake is painted, and put on.... along with a test-fit Qjet

I also cured the EGR vacuum leaks

ah yes, thank for reminding me to ignore you here too... of course, there would have had to be advice that was ignored... too long, or not long enough isn't advice. Perhaps, though, I should pop onto Pirate to post your comment to the moderator who took time out of his busy schedule to tell me that my build was boring... naw, that would make me like you.

Last edited:
Are you adding a face plate?

PB080002_zps97b246dc.jpg

You do nice illustrations....

what do you think about boring a 1" hole from the top to the bottom and putting a pipe between the upper and lower?

time to get to the nuts n bolts... the motor should be completely assembled tomorrow, I should have the transfer case, and I can get started on the adapter... then the suspension... to do that, I need a hole.... a big hole

and the brackets for the endeavor

in looking at it tonight, there's a lot of stuff to go in the itty-bitty hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom