Shimmy / vibration in steering / brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Hi yall:

Well, had a test drive that was hardly conclusive… For crying out loud…

When I got there, it was apparent that they must have had a flat cuz the like new spare was up front on the PS. The other side had the original worn tire (all Michelin OEM, truck is a ’99 with 36K, worn tires have about 10K left I’m guessing). So the 2 front tires were different! Great…! They could not readily put the old one back on. So off we went.

When I took the truck to 65 and then braked seriously, there was a slight but clear shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel, and maybe a light pulsation in the brake but the latter not much. Other times there was also a light shimmy in the steering wheel without braking. Not too much though, and only at some intermediate speed (50 or so?).

So what can I learn from this? I guess the shimmy could have been caused by the difference in size and weight of the 2 front tires, or by the spare being unbalanced, or by the rotors being warped? Or…?

I can possibly have them put the ole tire back on, and drive it again, or have an inspection done, but all that not so easily done because of distance and time. So in the mean time, waddayathink?

Anything else major potentially that could not be solved by new tires, an alignment, or new rotors? Checked the sheet metal, it’s all original VIN, and I did not see any indication of bent frame or such thing.

Ideas?

Other than that the truck looks good. Peppier than others I’ve seen.

Thanks
Eric

If that tire was up under the truck for an extended time and just put on you can epect some vibration until it trues out. You might even be able to see marks on the side wall from being held against the frame. Every winter when I put on my wife AT/KOs see has vibrations for about a week and a half till the round out and they are only stacked on the floor nopt clamped in place.

Eric,

>> truck is a '99 with 36K <<

The darn thing is virtually new.... PULL THE TRIGGER AND BUY IT. You're obsessing over this purchase. It's probably just a tyre balance issue but at 36k it may be ready for pads all the way around.

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=7430;start=msg62058#msg62058 date=1068617283]
Eric,

>> truck is a '99 with 36K <<

The darn thing is virtually new.... PULL THE TRIGGER AND BUY IT. You're obsessing over this purchase. It's probably just a tyre balance issue but at 36k it may be ready for pads all the way around.

-B-
[/quote]

I second this.

obsessing is the right word all right.
Well, it does not help that I have to sell my youngest daughter to buy this truck... so geez a bit of consideration for my torments please... <G>
and dang, it's gonna be the wife's truck too... sheesh!
Eric

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=7430;start=msg62061#msg62061 date=1068617639]
Well, it does not help that I have to sell my youngest daughter to buy this truck...
[/quote]

HOW MUCH FOR THE LITTLE GIRL!!!

Nick,

when you continue to be like this then I will remove my avator :flipoff2:

Mike :D

I think someone likes shopping more than buying ;)

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=7430;start=msg62061#msg62061 date=1068617639]
it does not help that I have to sell my youngest daughter to buy this truck
[/quote]

It might help if you wait until she is 15 years old. Then again by then you'll be ready to give her away :D

:cheers:

[quote author=Asiarider link=board=2;threadid=7430;start=msg62120#msg62120 date=1068641338]
Nick,

when you continue to be like this then I will remove my avator :flipoff2:

Mike :D
[/quote]

Sorry Mike it's prolly something that got lost in translation.
Nakman cought it though. It's from the Blues Brothers.

Nick.

for the Blues Brothers I am too far EAST !!!

Sorry :D

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom