shim out steering gear box fj 40?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a 1976 fj 40 I need just a little more clearance for the exhaust manifold. v8 conversion. Is it possible to shim out steering gear box? does The shaft have enough free play to put a 1/4 inch plate or more??? between the steering gear box and the frame?

You planning on moving the steering column at the same time? Moving just the box would mess up the alignment with the column. Angle the column to met the steering box will create abnormal wear on the rag joint. I would be concerned about heat from the exhaust if it will be that close to the steering box. While not a fan of switching the type of steering I would probably go that route before I start messing with the location of the stock steering box.

Im lookin at it and it looks like i can only shim it out a small amount which i dot need much? otherwise the linkage will be to close to the shock 1/4 in shouldnt mess the linkkage much??

Which exhaust manifolds are you running? There are some manifolds that are not recommended because of interference issues.

UPDATE: From Downey Conversion Manual

image_2023-05-01_210538148.png

Last edited:
Passenger side a block hugger from summit like figure a drivers side from speedway motors like figure c I think it’s going to fit I loosened up tge motor mounts and scooted tge motor as far as it would go to Tge psssenger side and I’m going to tilt it a bit higher drivers side lower passenger side and it should fit it’s close now and tgst will give me more clearance away from tge steering gear box and tge front drive shaft which looks kinda close to I don’t think I have ti shin out the steering gear box but still might put a 1/4 plate behind it trying not to now

Working this now on my FJ40 w/ 400 SBC. I could not access a spark plug w/out pulling the steering box. Since my center arm needed rebuilding, I went ahead and got parts to rebuild it, the drag link, new seals for the box and new rag joint.
I suspected the steering box being close to the manifold (1/2" space) the inside would be baked. This was not the case. The inside was in perfect shape. I had a bad seal on the pittman arm shaft where lube poured from and made a huge mess over time. As others suggest, look at a power steering conversion to delete the box. I will go that route eventually but have too many other things I am doing on my FJ for a major project like that. I'll post some photos this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom