Shifted to 4Low in drive. Did i break it ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My fzj has a little trouble getting into gear. My drive and neutral gears like to fight Over my attention. I was putting her into 4low when it slipped into drive. Heard a nice healthy grinding noise (sarcasm) and now im leaking a bit of fluid from what i believe is my center dif. Not sure though. Fluid has little smell and im pretty sure its gear fluid. Did i break my new toy ? Still runs and drives but im scared to put it back into 4low. Dif lockers still working perfect.

Highly unlikely you did any real damage other than to your ears. The noise would just be gears not meshing and instead grinding off each other. There's probably a tiny bit more metal sawdust floating in your transfer box gear oil now :)

If you have trouble getting to neutral to engage/disengage 4L, then just put it into Park instead. Of course the correct solution is to find out if you need to tweak some adjustment in the auto selector lever.

cheers,
george.

Highly unlikely you did any real damage other than to your ears. The noise would just be gears not meshing and instead grinding off each other. There's probably a tiny bit more metal sawdust floating in your transfer box gear oil now :)

If you have trouble getting to neutral to engage/disengage 4L, then just put it into Park instead. Of course the correct solution is to find out if you need to tweak some adjustment in the auto selector lever.

cheers,
george.

Thanks for the reply george. When this happened it went completely into gear. 4 low engaged. So are you sure no real damage was done ? Also i am leaking what i believe to be gear fluid. Are you confident no substantial damage was done ? Ill definitly listen to your advice though haha doing it in park is whats happening from now on.

If you haven’t already, recommend installing magnetic drain plugs to help you see if there is an increase in metal in your fluids. Cruiser Outfitters has them.

I could swear the transmission has to be in neutral, not park, if the engine is running to shift the transfer case.

Shutting off the engine is one way to ensure a smooth shift. Adjusting the transmission shift linkage is another, and preferred imo.

I could swear the transmission has to be in neutral, not park, if the engine is running to shift the transfer case.

Shutting off the engine is one way to ensure a smooth shift. Adjusting the transmission shift linkage is another, and preferred imo.

Its either or. Park or neutral works. But my main concern is the leak and any potential damage i may have done.

It'll be fine - the gears aren't made of butter :) And you won't have been the first or last to do what you did...

And to confirm, the key to no crunch is to not have the output shaft of the transmission rotating, so neutral or park will achieve that.

cheers,
george.

It'll be fine - the gears aren't made of butter :) And you won't have been the first or last to do what you did...

And to confirm, the key to no crunch is to not have the output shaft of the transmission rotating, so neutral or park will achieve that.

cheers,
george.

Thanks alot george ! Im a bit new to the game as you might tell haha. Got a 93 fzj80 about 3 weeks ago and im loving it. Be safe out there.

Cheers !
-Garret

I’d guess that the leak was already there and maybe you didn’t notice until something else brought your attention to that area. I can think of anyway that grinding the t case gears would cause a leak to develop.

I’d guess that the leak was already there and maybe you didn’t notice until something else brought your attention to that area. I can think of anyway that grinding the t case gears would cause a leak to develop.

I doubt thats the case. Its been sitting in my driveway since i got it 3 weeks ago and hasnt moved since other than around the neighborhood as i dont have plates yet haha. I only noticed the leak after i accidently shifted into 4low while in drive. The very next day there was a nice size puddle. Im having it worked on as soon as my mechanic can make room for it but til then im lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom