Fuseable links, backward battery charging and smoke! What did I break, blow or melt? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RE: Replaced fuses. I ADDED fuses to the inner fender wheel last night. There were none in that fuse block that were faulty. Replaced a functionging micro 7.5A fuse with appropriate physically sized 7.5. And corrected the other 7.5A to 10A as suggested. All work.

The dash fuse panel....I do not fully recall which fuses were bad. They were 15A and blue. I replaced two. Sorry for not annotating which. But all are functioning or test OK for continuity.

Ground Point. You'd have to be more specific. Never heard the term on needed one prior. A google search led me to some Ford ground points. Removing the kick panel didn't reveal anything glaringly obvious as a Ground Point. See following photo for my best guess. IF....that was correct

Key On...

Hazard/Flashers...Yes
Horn....Yes
Radio...Yes
Cigarette outlet...Yes

Battery currently 12.27

Under the hood fuse block-Fender wall
Both 15A Headlight- no reading (was not turned on)
7.5 A CHARGE...read .72
#3 15A EFI? 12.27
#9 15A Haz/Horn/Fash? 12.27
#10 10A DOME? 12.25

Front dash panel

STOP 10A.....12.27
GAUGE 10A.......point 52
IGN 7.5A......12.12

Last edited:
The ground points are a place where grounds are attached to the grounded chassis with a bolt.

IMG_3255.jpeg

Have you downloaded copies of the FSM and EWD? Most of your, "what do I do next?" questions are answered in there, including where all the ground points are. Reading those two documents is a far better use of your time than searching the internet; they are a collection of the wisdom of Toyota engineers. The internet is a collection of noise.

At this point, you need to find out why the check engine light isn't on. The troubleshooting matrix in the FSM has specific recommendations on what to do and where to look. I highly recommend looking there.

GAUGE 10A.......point 52
Houston, we have a problem. They key was turned to ON? Not off or ACC? Turn it to ON and try again.
Pull that fuse and test it again.
Then test voltage directly at both internal contacts. Put the black probe on that ground bolt you located earlier, and touch the red probe to each female contact, one at a time. One should light up at battery voltage.
Put good fuse back in and test again, between the fuse and ground bolt.

All your other fuses and checks look good. Validating that your FL's and AM1 fuse are good.

And your battery voltage is dropping. I'm still suspicious you have a parasitic draw somewhere. But that requires putting your meter inline between the Pos battery terminal and fusible link in Amps mode to see what the resting current draw is.

Cigarette outlet...Yes
GAUGE 10A.......point 52
The CIG fuse and the GAUGE fuse are fed from the same source. It makes no sense why one would have +12 and the other does not.
Please remove the GAUGE fuse and probe the female fuse terminals using the same procedure as above. One should read +12 and the other should read around 0.

Yes key was On. Will complete the above after work

It makes no sense why one would have +12 and the other does not
either the fuse is blown (why?) or something like i experienced.

I had one of my kick panel fuses making intermittent contact, like once a week or month. The ECU-B fuse IIRC. If I left the headlight switch ON, the fuse would sometimes connect in the middle of the night and turn my lights on and i'd come out to a dead battery. fun!

the fix was to squeeze the female terminals together, tightening their grip on both legs of the fuse. been good ever since.

my hunch is a prior owner had one of those fuse taps there and it opened up those contacts ever so slightly.

Am I frustrating everyone? I appologize.

Just a quick alibi: Was so excited to join and start working on a rig. Some of my first questions were going to be- How to download the FSMs. I've read the files are huge and can be frustrating? Was going to ask about hard copies. Like a Chilton or Haynes manual, there's no such thing as a hard copy for an 80 series?

Electricity: possibly one of my biggest "fears". Some are heights, clostrophobia, spiders, whatever......I am not a fan of Electricity. And it's a thing I've had a mental block with my whole life. I've run from it. I've even considered enrolling at a Tech College/Community College for Electrical. My brain simply doesnt get it. You can explain it like water flowing and circuits or whatever. It doesnt "stick" in my head. Had to replace a GFI a few months ago. Pulling the original out...had 4 wires. Mind was blown. Copper wires, green wires, black wires (which I always thought were Negative- not the case) and white wires. I am simply inept at Electrical. I can't see it or smell it. Completely different than seeing broken springs, hangars, or lack of fuel type trouble shooting. Trying to learn to "see" it with the DMM. Learning....

I am learning through this process. Thank you for some patience.

I work for the Govt. Carry a gun. Command many "people" in a handful of geographic locations. Politics, pending wars, the Market, the news....all have some level of input and bearing on my daily life and requirements. Add in 10+ hour days and commute time, incoming Winter Advisorys, short daylight hours at the 48th parallel, the Cruiser being broken down outside and working with a headlamp after dark. All factor into my "Frustation". Lastly add in that I have been prepping for a backcountry hunt in central Montana with single digit weather forecast and now frozen mountain passes to navigate (which I was supposed to be on the road today)...have been on my mind. Simply been mentally "task saturated" this week. I always have something going on. Work seldom ends even after the clock says it should.

Not complaining or being a bragart. Simply trying to say Thank You thus far and provide some backstory. Thank you.

Putting off Montana for a week or two for better weather. I should be afforded a day or two off soon. I can focus on downloading FSMs and Wiring Diagrams and putting on glasses and learning. Should be obvious I was hoping to install a Fuseable link and fire it up and have it fixed. And that failed.

my hunch is a prior owner had one of those fuse taps there and it opened up those contacts ever so slightly.
Very possible. Fuse taps are Satan spawn along with vampire taps. That's not to say that I haven't used them in a less than optimal situation...

How to download the FSMs. I've read the files are huge and can be frustrating? Was going to ask about hard copies. Like a Chilton or Haynes manual, there's no such thing as a hard copy for an 80 series?
Haynes and Chilton belong in the recycle bin. They are chock full of bad information as they cross over between years and models.
The 1994 EWD in the resources section is a whopping 2.5 MB. Should take no more than 20 seconds to download depending on what sort of speed you have at home.
It is a searchable PDF file, meaning you can type a term into the search bar in Acrobat and hit the ENTER button. Not really all that complicated. I know the knuckleheads on Facebook frequently have issues with this, but they're mostly children. It is indexed EXACTLY like the hardcopy using the BOOKMARK feature in Acrobat.
Simply click on the bookmark icon
1698343690652.png
top left and all the bookmarks open up for you.

Last edited:
Should be obvious I was hoping to install a Fuseable link and fire it up and have it fixed. And that failed.
i don't think you are too far off. once you get that GAUGE fuse working, your dash should light up. while my hunch is your truck will start as-is, lets get your gauges up and running. there are other things which rely on that fuse, such as your reverse lights.

you can buy a hardcopy, or could. i have them. but never look at them and prefer the pdfs

when you get a moment, print out the applicable pages from the pdf. this way you can spread them out in front of you and draw on them, make comments, take them out to the truck, etc.

those pages at the very end are harder to digest but do a better job showing the "big picture" than the closeups earlier on.

go back and re-read this thread and mark off what you've verified is working and what isn't yet, where you are taking measurements, etc.

Just a quick alibi: Was so excited to join and start working on a rig. Some of my first questions were going to be- How to download the FSMs. I've read the files are huge and can be frustrating? Was going to ask about hard copies. Like a Chilton or Haynes manual, there's no such thing as a hard copy for an 80 series?

Electricity: possibly one of my biggest "fears". Some are heights, clostrophobia, spiders, whatever......I am not a fan of Electricity. And it's a thing I've had a mental block with my whole life. I've run from it. I've even considered enrolling at a Tech College/Community College for Electrical. My brain simply doesnt get it. You can explain it like water flowing and circuits or whatever. It doesnt "stick" in my head. Had to replace a GFI a few months ago. Pulling the original out...had 4 wires. Mind was blown. Copper wires, green wires, black wires (which I always thought were Negative- not the case) and white wires. I am simply inept at Electrical. I can't see it or smell it. Completely different than seeing broken springs, hangars, or lack of fuel type trouble shooting. Trying to learn to "see" it with the DMM. Learning....

I work for the Govt. Carry a gun. Command many "people" in a handful of geographic locations. Politics, pending wars, the Market, the news....all have some level of input and bearing on my daily life and requirements. Add in 10+ hour days and commute time, incoming Winter Advisorys, short daylight hours at the 48th parallel, the Cruiser being broken down outside and working with a headlamp after dark. All factor into my "Frustation". Lastly add in that I have been prepping for a backcountry hunt in central Montana with single digit weather forecast and now frozen mountain passes to navigate (which I was supposed to be on the road today)...have been on my mind. Simply been mentally "task saturated" this week. I always have something going on. Work seldom ends even after the clock says it should.

Not complaining or being a bragart. Simply trying to say Thank You thus far and provide some backstory. Thank you.

Putting off Montana for a week or two for better weather. I should be afforded a day or two off soon. I can focus on downloading FSMs and Wiring Diagrams and putting on glasses and learning. Should be obvious I was hoping to install a Fuseable link and fire it up and have it fixed. And that failed.

Relax. Nothing to apologize for. The guys trying to help are really, really good. And perhaps they get a bit impatient with someone who hasn't been indoctrinated in the Toyota way . I would know, because besides an '80, I still 'wheel a Chevy... there I can tighten bolts to the torque specification 'chevy-tight', and not worry about forum ramifications :hillbilly:. For the'93 80 ,it is the Toyota FSM. Period.

Electron chasing is some special sort of fun. But with those guys having your back, you'll get the truck running.

This helps us understand how you need information.

We can state parts of it at a second grade level and others at college level.

We do all push the FSM hard because the information really is there, but it's hard to find sometimes.

We have all been there at some point and a lot of are salty old asses that like to bark or gouge on you when you screw up.

As I tell most, put on your big girl panties, don't take it personally, listen to what we're telling you, and respond accordingly.

If we ask for something specific, your answer may mean different things based on what you get.

Either way, we'll push you down and kick you a few times, then help you back up and get you straightened out.

You're doing fine. Just let us know when you don't understand. Be direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom