She's Cummin' along nicely (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are in the DFW area, you and pop need to come to Papa's BBQ this thurs nite and meet the guys in Lone Star Land Cruisers, this is the type project we love and have lots of members that could help ya' out in many ways.
Butch

It's always the small guys that feel the need to actually measure out to the HUNDRETHS...

I guess it makes them feel bigger...

Alright, Thinking of going with 35's. So How wide do I go?? 11, 12, 15? :)

I don't want this thing to be to annoying and it has not fender flares on it so I don't want to go much beyond the fenders.

Oh what size of wheel? 15, 16?

Thanks

12.5 wide tire is the usual. Rim size is entirely up to you. If you want to stay cheaper look at 15's. Since you can find the rims and tires cheaper. But agin this is totally up to you. Backspacing is an issue with the 15's only I think. Needs to be 3.5 or less. Search a little on here for some pics and see what you like. I think 17's look awesome, but I am not willing to pay for them!

(I paid $75 for my set of 33" BFG MT 15" rim size. But still looking at rims. You can find 15" rims for as cheap as $100 or even $150 new. But can spend as much as $500 or more on beadlocks or nice fancy rims.

I am a cheap person, so I get the most for the least I can. I have turned down several sets for $200. Also, stick with 8" wide if you go 15's and 12.5 wide tires.

Here is the promised pic of the tail housing on the NV4500
nv4500tailplate9di.jpg

you can see the slotted bolt holes on the Lower Left side

Nice project... I wanted to do this but unfortunately time & $$$ does not permit & I cannot justify pulling a perfectly good TBI350 & 700r4 :crybaby:

I think the front axle will not be a problem. If you have a 2f, 10k winch
& ARB you are right about where a cummins would be. I would take the stock springs & add a bunch of leaves to it or get a set of heavy OME's & ahve them de arched.

33's SOA look ridiculous. 35's with stock gearing is ok but you will not use the 5th gear that much. I would throw some 1ton axles in there if you plan on wheeling much

Someday i'd like a 24 valve Cummins in my 60!

I can't believe that you got the engine and tranny for so cheap!! I'm truly impressed.

I was thinking that it would just be easier to get a wrecked dodge with the desired running gear. Then you could use the engine mounts, brake booster and radiator if it fits.

BTW, did you make engine mounts or did you buy them?

I believe that the stock brake booster was vacuum actuated. What are you going to use now?

:beer:

Do you guys know if the NV4500 2wd tranny is the same as the 4wd drive version with a different output housing? Trying to find a place to but that dosen't require a core (or make me bend over if I don't have one!)

Nice!! Bump this thread up cos i want to keep reading on it. I am trying to find out about this swap too, maybe going to do it this summer. There's a 6BT+Trans&Transfer selling for $1500 near me, but i have some questions (for anyone who knows more than me)

What do you need to get with the motor? Motor, pump, anything else essential?

Did you fab mounts, or have you found some pre-made?

Which accessories are you using, 6BT or 2F? Brake vacum?

Using the NV transfer, could you just have a double CV driveshaft made and/or is that better/cheaper than getting the Adapter for the Toy transfer? ($650)

Keep up the inspiring work!!

I worked with company that put 2 cummins in six wheel drive army trucks to plow the ice ice road into a gold mine in northern Saskatchewan. One of them went through the ice and sat at the bottom of the lake for 6 days. They brought it up, drained the fluids and had it running within 24 hours. The truck finished working the season with the only problem being the guages (spelling?) were partially full of water.

I was hauling propane into the mine and was glad it was him and not me (the driver of the plow was ok).

Last edited:
Great project. I see your not wasting any time.
Looks like the 55 Chevy in the background is taking a back seat for this project.
Can't wait to see more pics of the progress!!
Lots of people will be watching this thread.

For the time being we are going to leave the stock springs as they seem to be holding the weight just fine. in the even that they start to go, we will figure out a solution when that occurs.

The motor mounts are the Dodge mounts that my dad is building new plates on the Yota frame to attach them too. I will get pics.

One of the 2 vacuum pumps on the 6B is not able to be put on but the other one is going to be just fine. I think that one will be enough to drive the Brake booster. AFIK there isn't much else that is vacuum powered on the FJ. correct me if I am wrong.

My dad got a set of 15x8 aluminum wheels for cheap ($125 iirc) and we have the local tire shop looking for tires. My dad is wanting to go with 33's as he thinks the 35's are going to be too big. since he is paying for it he kinda gets to decide.
Yetiman's FJ60 has 33's and a 4" lift and it looks pretty good, hopefully the extra 2" from the SOA won't make it look too funny.

I really don't know of the 2wd version of the NV4500 has the same tail housing, I would think so, but don't know.

Actually the 55 in the background is my Uncles, hes working on that while we are working on the FJ.

FWIW we picked up the 60 Oct 27 and hope to have it road worthy by Nov 23 :eek:

I will put more pics up as they come.

DAD,
VOICE OF REASON SPEAKING: 35s. I have 33s on an ome 3inch lift and they fill it out in front. 33s look TOO SMALL on SOA. do some searches on here and you will see. I think. 35x12.5 bfg at will look great. I don't think they are actually 35 but maybe more like 34.5 they will also be a great ride.

more pics. :bounce: keep up the inspiring work.

as stated b/f 33's are going to be tiny. and i wouldnt feel comfortable running them on a SOA for stability reasons. But thats just me. Show your dad pics of them on here with 33's and 35's. If you go SOA you could have room for 37's so think it over. I know you dont want to have that much tire. But if 37's will fit think howe sorry 33's will look!

I agree, with you guys. I would love to see 35's under it.

Are there any pics of a SOA's 60 with 33's vs 35's around?
(before you hound me I am going to search in just a sec)

I cannot think of any other things in the FJ chassis that are vacuum driven, so I would think that you are going to be fine.

I definately second the suggestion to go with 35's instead of 33's. The 33's will look tiny and besides, if you are going to get new tires anyways, then 35's aren't that much more. Just a thought, but then again, your father is paying the bills.

Gotta love this swap. Keep up the info and pics!

Talk about a tight deadline!!!!!!!

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom