Sensor Removal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this cool picture on here and wanted to know how these sensors/switches are removed? It looks like a ratchet or socket will turn them out, but wanted to make sure I don't damage anything in case I need to pull one out.

Thanks..
LX450 Block Sensors.jpg

Deep well socket works well for the temp sensors.

I always used an open end wrench...

The ECT cut (A/C cutooff switch) has an O-ring; OEM comes with that installed. The washers are separate items.

The ECT cut (A/C cutooff switch) has an O-ring; OEM comes with that installed. The washers are separate items.
Okay, thanks....so other than the ECT Sensor that needs a washer, the others come with appropriate gaskets?

Front the front to the back, top to bottom:

1697041591321.png
1697041528801.png

1697041835806.png
needs washer
1697041860305.png

1697041995621.png

1697042055109.png

1697042074818.png
needs washer
1697042107937.png

those are all the driver's side. From the passenger side:
1697042154065.png

...and that's assuming you buy them all from Toyota. Aftermarket, you get what you get.

Based on a small sampling of aftermarket options, I would spend the extra and buy factory parts.

Be gentle when removing any of the original sensors, the plastic connectors will be brittle. The knock sensor connector is known for snapping off ie: just from trying to disconnect the harness or a light bump, any off axis pressure (like when pressing the lock tab with your finger) may cause it to snap.

About aftermarket sensors; something like 10 years ago I found a Made in Japan knock sensor at the US based O-Reilly's Auto Parts (Import Direct line of parts) for a very good price.

Wish I had bought a few extras back then as it was the exact same part as OEM only not in a Toyota box. That sensor is still working fine. Since then that part from O-Reillys Auto parts tripled in price and changed manufacturers.

Point is, if money is tight it may be worthwhile to check out some aftermarket sensors if the prices are signficantly less than OEM. You can always decide at the counter to send it back if it doesn't look right (or says ??made in Chynna).

IME if it says Made in Japan or is made by NTK it's likely a good part.

NTK $95 at Rockauto:

Good price ($125) for OEM from Partsouq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom