Semi float rear Lock-right install FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...I think that if lockrite is going to make a product that requires shimming, they should include the shims....

Interesting apporach, and some merit I suppose... but in the automotive world there are hundreds of applications where "outside" parts are needed. Its not feasable for LockRight to try and guess which shims you will need, if any at all. Ring and Pinions for example don't come with shims... its the insaller/salesmans job to know they are needed.

Where did you buy the LockRight? Did you ask about shims?

Seems like if the teeth are fine--or even a little rounded off--and the pinion shaft is fine, the thing should lock under torque. Are you sure the little pins and springs are OK and there's nothing jammed up in there?
I'm assuming the Lockright is effectively identical to the Aussie. In my eye the things are just too simple to have mysterious malfunctions.

How's your new Lockright doing, Brian?

So far so good, But I havent put any more miles on it, Been driving the wifes car, I will giverago again tonight to see it anything has changed.
Thanks for asking :D

How does the lock-right compare to the aussie locker?

Kurt, you don't carry the aussie locker? I don't see it on your site.

Do a google on Aussie vs Lockrite. You will find plenty to read on. I did before I bought my aussie for the rear.

It's been 2.5 years on mine and every time it delivers flawless performance. :cheers:

...Kurt, you don't carry the aussie locker? I don't see it on your site.

Nope, I don't... they don't offer wholesale pricing, so I stock the Lockright...

After selling and fitting many Aussie Lock Rights the only failures i have had, is the hemisphere cracks and opens under load , therefore the splined member can cock and slip ,or they cause excessive wind up of the axle which can break but thats mostly a bitumen cornering problem. Out side of that Lock Rights are a good valve for money up grade for a vehicle mostly driven offroad.:cheers:

I have had a lock-right in the rear (and front) of my suzuki samurai for nearly 10 years now. It has seen some serious abuse, but always maintained. On inspection, I've noticed the lockright teeth are all a little chipped or rounded off... But guess what , it still works great. So, it just sounds like something else was wrong with the Cruiser. We all still want to see pics of the parts...
BTW, I plan to put an Aussie in my 80 sometime this year...

With the rear end on jackstands, I was able to spin 1 tire and it would just keep spinning.

That is the way they normally operate. You are supposed to check this after installation. You have a helper hold the wheel clockwise on one side and the wheel on the other side should spin (ratchet) counter clockwise, but it will lock in the clockwise direction. Then the helper holds the wheel counter clockwise and the wheel on the other side will spin clockwise, but lock counter clockwise. Then you repeat the tests on the other side for a total of 4 tests (2 sides, two directions each).

The clicking and klunking sounds are common too and don't necessarily indicate improper operation or installation. Based on what you have said so far, I am not convinced anything is fundamentally wrong.

It is important to understand how they work so that you can adjust your driving style to minimize the ckunking and popping noises. Here is a detailed description of how they work:

http://members.cox.net/golddebra/Photos/LockerOperation.pdf

ive had lock rights in my sas tacoma (front and rear) for five years and have never had a problem with them. for three of those years, the taco served as my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom