Self start 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum thing but would just like to say a big thank you to all you people who take the trouble to post info on the technical issues with these fantastic vehicles. It has been a great source of info and advice for me when doing timing belt and now starter motor. I have a 98 uzj100 with 200k miles and lpg conversion. Recently my 100 started to try and self start with no keys in the ignition. It just spontaneously started cranking the engine having been parked with the keys in the door pocket! The engine didn't fire just cranked over. I lifted the lead of the battery and reconnected it and all seemed well until heading home. Then it started up fine but continued to operate the starter motor which eventually I think dropped the voltage to all the other systems and left me stranded at the roadside with the vehicle refusing to turn over. Having researched the topic on this forum and asked the local auto spark I decided too change the starter motor. Thanks again for all your advice on how to access the starter etc.it was a big help. Sure enough the starter was burnt out. New starter installed and then discovered the 30 amp pal fuse had blown as well. I'm now back on the road and enjoying this big cruiser again. I didn't encounter any real issues in the strip down as this forum had covered it pretty well and at 6ft 2 in I even managed to climb into the engine bay!! Take care and thanks again.

I had similar symptoms at one point. For me, the starter would engage while driving and end up stalling the engine. With the key in the ON position, it would actually start itself up again. I ended up replacing the starter relay, no issues since then.

I would be surprised if a worn out starter would be the cause of random engagement, but I suppose it's possible. But if it happens again, I suggest replacing the starter relay.

I had similar symptoms at one point. For me, the starter would engage while driving and end up stalling the engine. With the key in the ON position, it would actually start itself up again. I ended up replacing the starter relay, no issues since then.

I would be surprised if a worn out starter would be the cause of random engagement, but I suppose it's possible. But if it happens again, I suggest replacing the starter relay.
Yes it had us puzzled as it was hard to distinguish between the original source of the problem and the damaged done by trying to drive with the starter also trying to operate. The relay seemed to be working ok when tested but will be the first thing to replace should the symptoms start again. It was a confusing situation especially when the engine started cutting out whist driving gut I'm guessing this was due to voltage drop as the starter was robbing all the current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom