Seized Engine, 97 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum, just browsed over the years...never had a serious problem until now. My 97 LC blew the HG (225K miles) and now engine is seized. About ready to pull the engine, but not sure how to separate the tranny. The manual says turn the engine to remove the flex plate bolts...but that's not happening. Does anyone have a suggestion?

It's not much harder to pull the entire engine/trans/transfer case as 1 than to pull just the engine. Pull the whole chunk, repair/refresh off the truck, and then replace as 1 piece.

Thanks for the reply. I plan to pull all at the same time as you suggest. My question is, when I get the thing lying on the shop floor, how do I separate the tranny from the engine without removing the flywheel bolts like the manual says? I can't turn the engine to access these bolts. Maybe it's obvious once I get it out and I'm worried about nothing.

Once you get the whole engine/tranny out you should be able to un-bolt the tranny and pull it away from the engine while leaving the torque converter still bolted to the fly wheel. Remove the converter after you pull the crank out of the block.

Once you get the whole engine/tranny out you should be able to un-bolt the tranny and pull it away from the engine while leaving the torque converter still bolted to the fly wheel. Remove the converter after you pull the crank out of the block.

If he plans on re-using the tranny, I wouldn't want to risk damaging the pump by doing that :eek:

I'd much rather pull the oil pan, unbolt the rods and try to move the pistons up far enough to rotate the crank :meh:

I just hope it's not seized to the point where nothing will move :doh:

Just pull the oil pan and take a plasma cutter to the end of the crank. If it won't move cut it off.

You wont damage the pump if you use reasonable care-done many,many this way. May damage the pump seal but you should replace that anyway.

I did pull the plugs and tried to turn it over with the breaker bar...it's seized up tight. I definitely want to reuse the tranny. New engine is expensive enough!!

I got the engine to turn over, just got a much bigger breaker bar. More leverage and more grunting broke it loose. Engine and tranny are now sitting on the shop floor. Phase 1 complete. Thanks for all advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom