Sedona/softroading...changed to offroading...100 back in the lineup! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI Gang,

Usually roll w. Toyota Landcruiser (60 and 100).

however, my wife and I are playing "overists/overistas" (I made that up = overland tourists/touristas). Taking her '19 sub forrester & staying in fancy hotels.....yikes.

That being said, looking for info/contacts w/r to soft-roading recommendations that are sub friendly and 1 hour radius from sedona for 1/2 day runs etc. timing is late june (did I say the sub has AC❄).

as an aside, will also be doing the mountain bike/kayak rental thingy.

That's all the news that is fit to print🍷

Schnebly Hill Road from Sedona to Flag, Hwy 89A South along Oak Creek Canyon for the way back:

I do not recommend Schnebly Hill Rd in a Subie right now, or for the last 4 yrs or so. It is waaaay too rough to be enjoyable in a Subie.

Get reservations to tour the Honaki and Palatki ruin sites. It's a few miles back on dirt roads to get there, all signed, but scenic and enjoyable. Also consider finding Robber's roost while you are out there.

Last edited:
^^^ it's too rough to be enjoyable in a buggy designed for that stuff. The top half to the look out, if you go in...well from the top, would most likely be alright with some nice views and somewhat cooler temps.

Agree, the ruins are neat history.

Agree, would not do Schnebly Hill and would recommend Honaki, Palatki, and most of the FR roads west of Sedona. Robber's roost is great, but you may need to park at the bottom of the last cutoff road and hike about a mile instead of driving all the way in.

I would agree with all of the above, that road has gotten progressively rougher in past few years.

A great half-day trip from Sedona is the Honanki Heritage Site (cliff paintings/ruins). I stayed on FS 525 on the way in but got a wild hair and drove Outlaw 4x4 trail back (see map on link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd575891.pdf). I think your Forrester could probably handle it no problema.

If you want to venture a bit further (time-wise, not really distance) ::EDIT:: shoot me a message for a great spot with views.

Last edited:
If you want to venture a bit further (time-wise, not really distance) Take 89A to FR535 to FR231 back towards Sedona. You will end up at the Edge of the World (also called East Pocket) area with views from the rim overlooking Sedona.

Which has been all but trashed lately. Secret got out, trash got bad. Very sad.

Which has been all but trashed lately. Secret got out, trash got bad. Very sad.

This is the first time I have publicly revealed its location. I had been under the impression that it was a secret, but my last couple trips up there demonstrated that I was the only one keeping it. I haven't seen any trash up there, and my group ALWAYS does a campsite walk-down before we leave. That said I haven't got a camp site with a view yet this year because all the spots were taken by Thursday night. I drive up on Friday morning and its been busy every time.

If the trash is getting bad then I would be happy to organize a clean-up event, but as far as the secret goes, at this point I just wanted to help out and decided not to bother with private messages and whatnot. I can delete the post and send it privately if we want to keep it off the forum.

This is the first time I have publicly revealed its location. I had been under the impression that it was a secret, but my last couple trips up there demonstrated that I was the only one keeping it. I haven't seen any trash up there, and my group ALWAYS does a campsite walk-down before we leave. That said I haven't got a camp site with a view yet this year because all the spots were taken by Thursday night. I drive up on Friday morning and its been busy every time.

If the trash is getting bad then I would be happy to organize a clean-up event, but as far as the secret goes, at this point I just wanted to help out and decided not to bother with private messages and whatnot. I can delete the post and send it privately if we want to keep it off the forum.

oh, I wasn’t calling you out. Cat’s out of the bag on that one and has been for a few years. I‘ll only share my few remaining good spots via pm with self destructing messages.

not only is the trash bad, last time I was there it was party central :(

Trash: good excuse for me to take garbage bags to collect.

Btw: rig switch to the 100 series as have clean Bill of health from mechanic.

You are the only welcome Californian in my book :grinpimp: just don't camp in the left lane like everyone else with CA plates in AZ :steer:

Actually, I'm a slow lane kinda driver....in my 60 that is. The 100 adds a whole nuther dimension to "cruising". :beer:

there was a girl I was seeing a few years back, while I did my time living in Seal Beach, who met me in flagstaff one weekend... "Why was everyone on i17 flashing their brights at me?".... "were you sitting in the left lane the whole time!?"....

That's what happens when u have more than 2 highway lanes...can u say i95 Connecticut to mass....believe me, she would have learned quickly in new England.

Quickie road trip report:

First, thanks to all who made the cool suggestions.

Hit the offroad extension of dry creak. As pointed out, a mellow road w. tons of embedded rocks. Makes for slow going which is ok by me. nice views, heavy foot traffic in the beginning, parking is tight due to mid-day temps.

Then hit Honanki Heritage Site. Lucked out in that the Forrest Service listed as closed, decided to cruise by in case we could spot stuff from road (can't), upon arrival, site was open. Awesome.

Stayed 5 nights at Sunset Chateau (west sedona, the underbelly of the tourist beast), very enjoyable. Make sure you talk to the owner, just don't mention religion unless you want exposure to interesting road she took to buy the place (not overbearing, but interesting).

Final night @ Enchantment Resort. Big $ (did I say the entire trip was on airline points), but worth every penny. enough so this tightwad will return!

Only issue was expected heat. upper 90's/low 100's. Make sure your ac is in top shape (hit 111 on I-10). Though it is dry heat which is bearable in my world.

All and all, awesome trip, can't wait for winter!

PS: Bring your mountain bike!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom