Security System Lock out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.marklowimagery.com
I am not sure whether the security system was installed at the factory/assembly plant, or if the dealership installed it, but ever since the OEM key with the alarm/lock controls broke, I have not used the system. I haven't used it probably over 4 years, so am not really faliliar with how it operates anymore. There is a button inside left of the steering wheel in the dash which is a red LED momentary closed/open type switch. It still works and I guess I either pushed it in, or it was out, but today when I disconnected the battery to do some rewiring, as soon as I connected the battery, the alarm came on for about 2 minutes, flashing the lights and sounding the horn. Now I can't get my truck to start. Every time I turn the key to statr position, the alarm blinks on and off and falshes the lights or something but not the horn, for about 4-5 seconds, then it stops. I do not have the remote anymore to reset the alarm, so what do I need to do in order to get this problem solved???

Please help...... :-[

sounds like aftermarket(mine originally had a led to the left of the steering wheel)and only one controller from the selling dealer.

i replaced mine with a factory kit i found on e-bay(hard to find now,i have read)

on the factory alarm,installation testing included testing the ignition cutoff relay,which was bypassed by a second attempt at starting the vehicle with the key.ie:window down,arm alarm,then reach in and unlock and open door,alarm goes off and when starting is attempted,--no start--BUT turn key off,turn on again and --START--normal operation,accoding to the install manual.

now i "think" yours is aftermarket,but it might operate the same way.if not,then an afternoon under the drivers dash should net you with a DEINSTALLED alarm(get some heat shrink tubing and solder for correct repair of the wiring back to stock)then you wont have an alarm,but your 80 will start,and then you can get a new one from your favorite shop.

i removed the lower drivers side dash panels,and located the "brain" or black box of the offending alarm and simply traced the wiring from it to the truck wiring and undid the damage that the "gorillas" at the installers shop did...

they all should be "generally" the same,with a black box and harness with ignition cutoff relay,and wiring to the door lock switches,horn or siren,lights and ignition switch for power etc.....some more complex will have xtra relays to disable other components but still similar enough to remove.....

after reading the above statement,i realized that a factory install CAN have the "brain" under the drivers seat(mine is)BUT the aftermarket that i removed WAS under the dash area behind the steering wheel....

should be able to remove it completely if you are unable to get it back to normal

good luck

doug

This really SuC_s...It has a shock sensor on the firewall up close to the kick pannel, and every time I make a move, the hour beeps 5 quick times. I don't know but since the factory key had the electronic remote, I would tend to believe that it is factory installed. I don't think that the dealer did the install since he know we were trading the '93, but he did obtain the vehicle from another dealer in Houston. Perhaps they installed the system but I really feel that it came to them that way.. I am going to have to go up in the atic and look tr=hrough my junk boxes to find the better half of what is left of the remote. I really don't have time or the desire to take the dash down to try and figure out how to uninstall the thing. I would think that if it were easy enough for me to do, then a professional car theif would have no trouble disarming the system. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for your help. I may have to take it to someone and just have them uninstall the old system and perhaps reinstall a new system.

Since I don't know exactly what system you have, consider this a helpful guess...Try inserting the key, turn ignition on (do not try to start), quickly push the alarm button on the dash once, and then turn ignition key off. Then try starting.

Is the alarm button on the dash removable, I.E. is it intended to be pulled and removed out without undoing any wires? If so, it is a valet switch, which is intended to allow you to disable the alarm so a valet can park you car without requiring you to give the valet the remote.

Disconnecting you car battery reset the alarm, which is why it is now active.

Worst case is you need to find the black box and find some identifying info that will allow you to determine the manufacturer & model so that you can get the info you need from the vendor.

Rich

If the key head had a button or buttons, the alarm IS NOT a factory alarm. In addition, the factory alarms DID NOT have motion sensors.
It soulds like you have one of the private distributor supplied systems out of either Gulf States or Southeast Toyota. You may have to strip it out.

I think C Dan is right. It probably was installed by Gulf States or Southeast Toyota. I guess now I have no other option but to call either the toyota service dept in the morning or find a stereo/alarm shop who can strip and reinstall new system. Depending on the cost, I may decide not to go with a new system since I have gotten by just fine for the last 4 years or so. without incedent.

If I call Toyota service, I guess they would have to come out with a flat bed and pick up my cruiser to take back to the shop. And if I find another shop, they too will want the vehicle in their shop so either way, I am going to have to call a wrecker service in the morning.

Is it possible to unscrew one of the light assemblies that blinks when the alarm is indicating it's previous level of violation , such as a brake light . Once unscrewed try shorting the wires , replace key wait for the blink , blink and perhaps the short will track back to the alarm brain and kill it ...

I heard on the street guys were using some similar methodology on sunfires a while back .

Tyler

*WARNING* -- Do not rely on any of the above info ! I am providing it as a muse only . IOW's an alternative solution is to aquire the input of a thief ...

Mine has a kill switch for the alarm on the kick panel near the driver's door...

I reset my alarm and hit that and I am good to go.

my key fob (hehe) still works though.

Well after calling my Toyota service manager, he told me what to do and it worked the very first time. He told me to get in, turn the key all the way on but don't try to start yet, push the red alarm LED button in, turn the key back off, and then go ahead and start the engine. I did it with some doubt but it did work the first attempt. How simple is that???

Just gotta mention this .. because the timing is uncanny ...

I get home from work this AM , start catching up on the posts here , and NO more than 15 mins after reading this one , my ex-wife phones me from her workplace (she worked nites at the hospital) . She says "I've got a problem" . I bit my lip , and proceeded to let her describe what happened . She states that she went out to the 4Runner , fired it up , and 20 secs later the alarm went off . Simple I figure someone must have accidentily hit the secret panic switch ( you anticipate a carjacking , hit the switch .. it waits for the car door to open and then sets off the alarm 20 secs later ) . Problem is she doesn't carry the remote anymore .. and never uses the alarm . Soooo

I phone my son and instruct him to dig out moms old remote and leave it in the mailbox before heading to university ... then I stopped by , picked it up and headed to the hospital . Roughly 30 mins later and every know permutation and combination of door open/closed , key in/out , secret button pressed/unpressed , etc etc .. and it finally ceased for good . Thankfully my wife had popped the hood and cut the wire to the alarm horn before I got there :D

Thank god there was still juice in the remote ... and I left it with her in the truck . Thing is , what set it off ?? Knocking the secret button ? Lightening ? Stray radio waves ? W i e r d ....

Good luck with yours ,

Tyler

Here's another variation on the gremlins in the factory alarm theme:
Driving home for lunch yesterday..23 miles an hour...alarm goes off for no reason...
horn honking, lights flashing, DASH lights flashing..finallly quit after 3 minutes.

I haven't a clue.....

that was me...I used my mind....

*rubs his temples and sets off cruiser alarms across the US*

;)

Ok I have a theory .... I needed to be sure :p

We ARE being invaded by aliens ... but we three are mans last hope ... you see we have been selected by the concurrent activation of our alarms to be able to triangulate the aliens hideout ! All we need is a map , and a ruler , and ... "Oh God .. NO .. NOOOO , hel , hell , H E L PPPPPP !!" -- transmission abrutly ends .... David Bowie plays softly in the room ...

Back to your regularly scheduled programming ; LC content and such :-X

T

Or , to quote Dan K.........

"we are Atlanta-ins........resistance is futile...we will assimilate you......"

I'll bet you're the casuse of the burned out D lite, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom