Second Row Seat Disassembly - Bracket Corrosion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While deep cleaning the recent acquisition I noticed some corrosion on what looks like a bracket which holds the upper and lower seat pieces of the second row together (see images). This is located behind the velcro LATCH covers. Obviously this isnt acceptable given the otherwise great condition of the vehicle and from a safety standpoint (kids in the second row). I assume some of the community's vehicles may also have this issue but is unknown to the owners.

Has anyone disassembled the rear seat? Any guides or tips?

If I can gain access it should be easy enough to sand, prime, and paint.

20210908_200849.jpg

20210908_200845.jpg

While deep cleaning the recent acquisition I noticed some corrosion on what looks like a bracket which holds the upper and lower seat pieces of the second row together (see images). This is located behind the velcro LATCH covers. Obviously this isnt acceptable given the otherwise great condition of the vehicle and from a safety standpoint (kids in the second row). I assume some of the community's vehicles may also have this issue but is unknown to the owners.

Has anyone disassembled the rear seat? Any guides or tips?

If I can gain access it should be easy enough to sand, prime, and paint.

View attachment 2784172

View attachment 2784173

Spill or multiple spills. Most visible metal down there is just sheet-metal. Not structural...unless that’s something it doesn’t appear to be in the photo.

Spill or multiple spills. Most visible metal down there is just sheet-metal. Not structural...unless that’s something it doesn’t appear to be in the photo.

It's internal to the seat itself not the floor. You can see it's effecting the area surrounding that stud which is why I dont like it. I plan on removing the seat and seeing if I can gain access to it in order to paint.

It's internal to the seat itself not the floor. You can see it's effecting the area surrounding that stud which is why I dont like it. I plan on removing the seat and seeing if I can gain access to it in order to paint.

Thank you. I didn't understand the context of the photo.

I wonder if that‘s one of those spots many people rarely look at, and it makes me wonder how many with kids might have similar evidence if they looked closely. ?

Last edited:
I gotta tell you, that's probably not an easy part to remove - unless you can access both of the securing nuts from the outside and remove the anchor that way. It might be worth just spraying some rust inhibitor (T9 or the like) down in there and swabbing it around with a toothbrush or cotton swab and keeping an eye on it.

Then again you are rocking PPE to do your detailing, so you are at another level of "particular" when it comes to car maintenance than I am, so that may not work for you. 😬

Thank you. I didn't understand the context of the photo.

I wonder if that‘s one of those spots many people rarely look at, and it makes me wonder how many with kids might have similar evidence if they looked closely. ?

That's what I was thinking too, which is why I wanted to share here. Coming from older Land Rover's I hate rust with a passion and once i see it cannot stand to let it be.

If you have kids (or a clumsy mother-in-law) you should have a look haha

I gotta tell you, that's probably not an easy part to remove - unless you can access both of the securing nuts from the outside and remove the anchor that way. It might be worth just spraying some rust inhibitor (T9 or the like) down in there and swabbing it around with a toothbrush or cotton swab and keeping an eye on it.

Then again you are rocking PPE to do your detailing, so you are at another level of "particular" when it comes to car maintenance than I am, so that may not work for you. 😬

I'm definitely worried about access levels, and I'll keep the community involved as I get after this. I think I can access the stud and bolt.

Honestly, I was tempted to coat and move on, but it's too early in my ownership to give up that fast!

And PPE keeps my back up career as a hand model alive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom