Second guessing lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Uncle Grumpy

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought a Slee 4" lift for my 80 but I'm having second thoughts. I'll be armored, winch, RTT, drawers, extra fuel, water, etc... and 35's.

Would 2.5" be sufficient for that weight and 35's? I'm a poser but I don't want to look like one. :grinpimp:

Personally, I think the 2.5" will be suffecient. I would just make sure which ever lift you go with, that the spings are rated for the excess load you will be carrying in you rig as you mentioned.

If you do not plan on playing in the rocks too hard then yes second guess it. I am more than happy with my 2" Iron Man lift. It took a trip to Baja to finally decide between the 2" & 4" but I made the right choice and it's not too late for you to switch up. My 2" lift actually gave me 2.5" Frt & 3" Rear but I still don't have a front bumper or sliders.

yes, the x" lift rating is only meaningful if it specifies at what weight. You could have a 2" with a higher spring rate and a 2" with a lower one. Depends on spring length, obviously. Check out the full specs for the spring or ask the manufacturer what lift (with definition) you would be getting for such and such a truck weight. Sounds like you will be very heavy. FWIW, OME has some numbers out there for reference, including some for heavy Oz trucks. Remember that if you put on some heavy springs that will give the right lift for a heavy truck, it will probably feel like they are way too stiff when unloaded.

Ok it looks like you have mixed reviews... I spent the better part of a year doing research between 3 lifts:
1. Slee 4 Inch KIT
2. Frankies Off Road 3 Inch Kit
3. OME Heavy Lift with Rear Adjustable Panhard

Let me say first that all information you gather from "us" is arbitrary since every man has his own taste.

Having said that I believe I listed the 3 above lifts in terms of most expensive to least expensive. Slee's kit as you know is not cheap, but comes with the most hardware if you go for the entire kit. Frankies isn't much cheaper, but you get as much IIRC. OME comes in on the "cheap side" of that with their kit. The only reason I mention all this is because, IMO, you get what you pay for with these lifts.

Slee's lift IIRC uses progressive springs now in the front, which makes for a smoother ride. THIS HELPS. Although I don't MIND the ride of the OME, sometimes it's "bounciness" gets on my nerves. It does it's job very well, i.e. bearing great loads and lasting to tell the story, but it's a bit brutish. Slee's lift rides much better, I know because I've ridden in one of his trucks. Frankies also uses the progressives and I have heard great things about his lift.

Also, with the "cheaper" lifts like Ironman and OME, they don't come with a full compliment of accessory parts, like drop brackets, DC Driveshaft, etc. that make the truck ride as well as it can. Some people don't end up needing the DC driveshaft. Lucky them. I would say most people after 3 inches of lift do need one to get rid of the horrendous drive-line vibrations from the front driveshaft. Some people don't need the drop brackets, but my suspension creaks now like an old ship rocking in the sea. Some people don't see the need to get adjustable panhard rods because they don't care that their but kicks out while driving.

SORRY for being so long-winded, but here's my point. You may not "need" everything in the kit that Slee offers, but he offers it as KIT for a reason for all of it. If I could do it over again, I might has well have gotten the Slee lift, since I have since bought drop brackets and am considering a DC driveshaft.

PS- The OME Heavies are plenty to carry the load you speak of if you change your mind.

I take it you havent install this kit yet ? Or am I wrong?

I got a project where I used the OME heavies ( J springs ) and my rear is sagging.
I got two 35's spares on the 4+ bumper and a 45 gal tank also on the rear (remember this is a project).
As it sits right now my rear is sagging about half inc lower than the front...
I still gotta install the drawers and all the rest of the gear inside the truck along with a 4 bike rack.....

I think I'll put the 4" slee rear springs but im undecided if I should go with the med or heavy.
I too think that you should really get the right spring load coil depending on how much weight and what the rig main use is going to be......

in an ideal world you will get your clearance via tires/ vs lift.- keeping COG low---clearancing fenders to fit the large 35s. This can be done via OME low lift and 1" body lift with very little clearancing of fenders.

If you want a more plug n play way vs. flare elimination and slight fender clearancing---the next best would be 2.5" lift which will easily fit 35s......have a slightly taller COG which can be compensated for by going with a little less rim offset or wider rubber and possibly small spacers to counteract the raised COG.

personally- id start low--see the limitations (clearance over rocks/streams/etc)......vs COG benefits in off camber situations. If you are bashing your armor too much and getting stuck too often----then move it up either via tires or lift. Anyway you cut it---if you have armor--might as well stay low---see how much you can flog it- while keeping a nice stable COG which is important in both rocks and ledges/off camber hills--and then move up as needed.

Erriing on the low side simply means you bash your armor--or bend some replaceable parts. Erring on the high side of COG can result in flipping on its side--down a hill---and tossing your spare keys in the trash. If you find you are banging too much--go up a bit and attempt to offset that COG with width or adding weight lower in the cab to offset.

Thanks for all the replies. bugsnbikes really put it into perspective but I've seen his rig, he's a minimalist. Rain again this weekend so I have another week to think about.

I think with the extra weight you'll be running the slee lift will be good. I currently have the slee 4" springs and no extra weight, stock everything. It ride's better over the rough stuff and washboards than it did stock. Some of that has to do with the larger tire too though. I went back and forth for 9 or 10 months on what lift to go with. In the end I'm glad I went the way I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom