Seats and steering column in a 45... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used a set of 1988 Honda CRXsi seats in my 45. They are the smallest in profile (recaro) designed seats I could find when I built it. Pretty comfortable, The truck has a full interior cage as well. I'm 6'1" and weigh 230.
View attachment 2224339
View attachment 2224341
Cab is a 1966
What steering Column & steering wheel are you using for this setup?

The steering column is stock but mounted with the bracket on the bottom of the dash upside down to lower it a bit. The steering wheel is smaller than stock for leg clearance.

The steering column is stock but mounted with the bracket on the bottom of the dash upside down to lower it a bit. The steering wheel is smaller than stock for leg clearance.
Great, thx. Was looking at cutting down the stock column to give me more room, but this might do the same. What steering wheel do you have and did you need an adaptor to install? Thx for any help here.

What was the exact flaming river steering column model did you use for your FJ45? Trying to do your setup to get the most cab room in a 66 FJ45 that I can for my big boy body 6"3" 240 lbs....
Looks like it was P/N FR2519DD. Description says 13/16-36 X 3/4 DD SS UJ.

I ended up fabricating my own firewall mount out of some plate and a tubing clamp.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. That particular receipt was the only one I could find in my records, so I assumed it was for the column. I have the 32" floor shift tilt column with 2" OD paintable mill finish (FR20006).
Thanks for those details. Did you then use a steering wheel adaptor or just a direct fit for the new steering wheel? Trying to see what my steering wheel options could be here.

Momo Adapter and wheel if I remember correctly. I did a bunch of searching to find a wheel that I felt was the right size for my application.

I think the adapter was for a standard GM column which fit the Flaming River column.

Momo Adapter and wheel if I remember correctly. I did a bunch of searching to find a wheel that I felt was the right size for my application.

I think the adapter was for a standard GM column which fit the Flaming River column.
14" Momo wheel? 5 or 6 bolt?

Diving back into the thick file of build receipts, I found the following:

Momo Retro steering wheel leather 360mm/14" Part# RET36BK2S

The adapter shows as PN# 2401 and has 6 bolts.

Diving back into the thick file of build receipts, I found the following:

Momo Retro steering wheel leather 360mm/14" Part# RET36BK2S

The adapter shows as PN# 2401 and has 6 bolts.
You are a true pro sir! Thank you for all your help here.

Casey, just a thought….if you shorten the the column it becomes in the way of your knees. I don’t have my Red 45 back yet but went with 1987 FJ60 seats and made custom frame. That way you can lower the seats or do what you need to. I’ve sat in them and they are way better and more room than my stock seats. Also went with a 1981 FJ40 steering wheel that’s about an inch smaller in diameter from my stock 66. I have no real seat time yet but getting close and I’ll share as soon as I do.

Mark

Last edited:
Casey, just a thought….if you shorten the the column it becomes in the way of your knees. I don’t have my Red 45 back yet but went with 1987 FJ60 seats and made custom frame. That way you can lower the seats or do what you need to. I’ve sat in them and they are way better and more room than my stock seats. Also went with a 1981 FJ40 steering wheel that’s about an inch smaller in diameter from my stock 66. I have no real seat time yet but getting close and I’ll share as soon as I do.

Mark
This was my thinking when I was looking at that already moded red FJ45 in Tampa. I am keeping Lily nice and stock in the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom