Scout Box--A Tight Fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cutting this shock tower made me cringe, but no other way to get Scout gear box to fit. These towers are stout and other than looking like crap I think it would still be strong enough. I had to cut out large area on upper end and smaller area for the right lower mounting tab hole. I can't get box any farther up due to radiator mount/design I ended up with when I installed the 26" rad. The horn is up against the back of the rad mount. This position of the shock keeps the shock straight up and down, just like the original, and I will have to trim 1/2 inch off the front fender were it mounts to frame, leaving just enough to mount.

I will tube frame rail with DOM instead of the 3/4" plate, as the shock tower would not clear box, if the box were off set that much off frame.

Is this too much to hack off shock tower??? or any other suggestions. Really don't want to go with sag install on front bumper.

Thanks....
P1010049.jpg

He did have to cut the oem shock tower if you look at the lower pics. One rivet at the front and some of the side and rear of the tower. Not too much though.

The way I ended up mounting my radiator prohibits me from moving the box farther up the frame rail. It would have to be mounted 2" off the frame instead of the traditional 3/4 ". Just noway for the gear box to clear the 26" aluminum rad with just a 3/4" off set.

I had a fellow mudder measure a fj60 box and I think it would give me approximately an additional 1inch of clearance because of the distance between the front mounting holes and the front end of the gear box.

I would trade a scout box for a 60 box if anyone has one to trade...

Scout boxes are for Pigs...and you gotta move that shock tower.
scoutbox2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom