Builds Scott’s GX 460 build GreenvilleOverland (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crap on the rotors/pads is a much more likely culprit than an actual warped brake disc. The GX discs are huge so unless you have giant race car calipers, fluid, and lines you'll cook your fluid long before you can actually warp the disc.

You can usually clean off/smooth out those deposits by doing a bed-in procedure. You could also just have a bunch of mud stuck inside the wheel that causes shaking/shuddering like an unbalanced rim or brakes.
Right I’m saying the pad leaving a heavy/imbalanced deposit on the rotor during an emergency braking event seems like a plausible culprit. I had such an event and then the shaking started. I’m not thinking the rotors are physically warped.
Yes it could be just an imbalance in the wheel, I’m taking to Discount tire for a balance to try and eliminate that variable too.
I plan to get the oem rotors resurfaced and reuse them again when the time comes to renew them again in another 80000 miles or however long it takes.
I’ll try the bed in procedure too, and see if that works.

On another note the longer I have this vehicle it’s robustness and quality really shine through. My lady has a new CRV hybrid and while it’s nice for her and kind of a fun novelty to drive. I pick the Lexus everytime we go somewhere as a family. I just trust it more. I don’t even think about the mpg difference.

My rotors were warped and had to have them trued. With the shutter when breaking, the anti-lock system was all messed up and would activate if I did even a light quick stop, without even getting close to lockup. It'd freak the people around me wondering why I was locking up my brakes, when it was the anti-lock kicking in. It was kind of stressful till I got them trued.

Got a nice grease gun and some “red n tacky” and lubricated the slip yoke and u joints. Interested to see if it improves my clunk when starting certain ways. Will update. I doubt it has ever been done at 80k. Plan for trans drain and fill Tuesday. Looks like good weather ☀️

It was a little cold today hovering above freezing but crawling around under the truck with layers on definitely kept my body heat up. Hardest part of the job was getting the zerks lined up inside the u joints to get the tip on them. Otherwise the lock n lube pistol style grease gun I bought with the fancy connector really made it easy. Lady said it better have for how much it cost 😅

I used moly when I did mine, at 62k. I think they got done at least a few times during Lexus services. It did not have much effect that I could tell, maybe a little smoother. I still feel a bit of vibration in the steering wheel at certain throttle settings.

The LockNLubes are great. I got them for the tractor and equipment but use those grease guns on everything now. The old style push on connectors always seem to need to be unscrewed to get them back off.

I used moly when I did mine, at 62k. I think they got done at least a few times during Lexus services. It did not have much effect that I could tell, maybe a little smoother. I still feel a bit of vibration in the steering wheel at certain throttle settings.

The LockNLubes are great. I got them for the tractor and equipment but use those grease guns on everything now. The old style push on connectors always seem to need to be unscrewed to get them back off.
Second the lock n lube. Turned a 30 min finagling with that crap under the vehicle in unergonomic positions into a 5 minute procedure.

IMG_5605.jpeg
Drain and fill done. A bit of an adventure but should go smooth next time. I feel like it made a positive difference doing this. Over fill fluid still dark but less turbid and not as dark. This was approximately 25% fluid change. I’m thinking I’ll do it once again soon, but then skip to every 30k.
IMG_5619.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_5677.jpeg

Did a radiator drain and fill to check the fluid condition. Any tips on best tool to drain the engine block of coolant, I’m open? I found the drain, just had a hard time getting a tool in to the spot. Was thinking maybe either a long handled ratchet or long box wrench it’s only a 10mm? Maybe my hands are too fat or I just don’t know the angle to get to it.

All seems well with my coolant, clear and pink. Plan to follow up between 100-120k with a more complete change.

She’s naked! Girl definitely needs new underwear, I mean skids. Thinking about a really lightweight/budget skid set like the arb as a replacement. Not planning on any extreme rock crawling. Factory skids probably remain proficient for my use. They’re just ugly and beat up, doing their job well.

Last edited:
View attachment 3570084
Did a radiator drain and fill to check the fluid condition. Any tips on best tool to drain the engine block of coolant, I’m open? I found the drain, just had a hard time getting a tool in to the spot. Was thinking maybe either a long handled ratchet or long box wrench it’s only a 10mm? Maybe my hands are too fat or I just don’t know the angle to get to it.

All seems well with my coolant, clear and pink. Plan to follow up between 100-120k with a more complete change.

She’s naked! Girl definitely needs new underwear, I mean skids. Thinking about a really lightweight/budget skid set like the arb as a replacement. Not planning on any extreme rock crawling. Factory skids probably remain proficient for my use. They’re just ugly and beat up, doing their job well.
Would an air ratchet work? I had on old Toyota Previa mini van I had to replace the starter on and the ONLY way to get to one bolt was with a 12" extension and an air ratchet. There wasn't any room to swing a ratchet.

Regarding armor, if you're only planning on light trails, aluminum skids are great. Don't add the extra weight of steel if you don't need to.
I have aluminum on my rig and even banging over some rock gardens they can take a hit. Albeit, I wouldn't want to beat on them all the time, but for what I do, they fit the bill.

Would an air ratchet work? I had on old Toyota Previa mini van I had to replace the starter on and the ONLY way to get to one bolt was with a 12" extension and an air ratchet. There wasn't any room to swing a ratchet.

Regarding armor, if you're only planning on light trails, aluminum skids are great. Don't add the extra weight of steel if you don't need to.
I have aluminum on my rig and even banging over some rock gardens they can take a hit. Albeit, I wouldn't want to beat on them all the time, but for what I do, they fit the bill.
I’m not that familiar with the use of an air ratchet but I’m guessing this bolt is low torque. It only needs one full turn to release the fluid. I got a nut driver onto it through the wheel well. I’m guessing taking the wheel off will help. I may be able to turn it with minimal force from a nut driver as it should not be very tight. The pidcock valve was very easy to open so maybe this would be similar and be turnable by a nut driver. I didn’t even try to turn the nut driver as I was calling the flush short due to nap time ending either way.

Reactions: r2m
Been a while since I posted. Unfortunately my 05 470 in my profile pic was totaled on Thanksgiving. Just bought a white 15 460 off a individual in Charlotte. Higher miles (I don't mind miles as long as records come with). No to start tinkering with it. Already installed beat sonic 2 weeks ago.

Unrelated but upgraded my wife to a 23 4runner TRD in lunar rock. Pretty sweet ride

Been a while since I posted. Unfortunately my 05 470 in my profile pic was totaled on Thanksgiving. Just bought a white 15 460 off a individual in Charlotte. Higher miles (I don't mind miles as long as records come with). No to start tinkering with it. Already installed beat sonic 2 weeks ago.

Unrelated but upgraded my wife to a 23 4runner TRD in lunar rock. Pretty sweet ride
Sorry to hear about your 05, hopefully you’re loving the new to you 460 though!
Love the T4r, especially in LR 🤩
I cross reference the T4R forums frequently for suspension information as there are a lot more of them out there than GXs.

IMG_5784.jpeg

Trailer is sold and gone! First time I’ve had the GX in the garage since I installed the suspension lift in the garage. It seems so big in there. Looking to continue to declutter and purge. I’ve actually already gotten rid of a few things and reorganized again since this pic. Felt so luxurious leaving this morning with a relatively warm car, amazed the difference the garage makes for temperature even though you can tell I do need a new garage door. It’s drafty and letting vermin in. Add that to the list of home repairs I need to complete, it’s definitely not first priority right now due to bigger issues I need to address with my home. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: r2m
ugh, if their front bumper goes on sale I may have to make a compulsive purchase!

IMG_5911.png
Well I did a thing.

On another life note trip is getting delayed until tomorrow. My sweet girl Lucy, 15 yo staffy bull terrier is going to cross the rainbow bridge tomorrow. Her health has been in decline for the last year or so and progressively this week she’s having issues. Seizures, falling, getting confused and wandering, stuck in weird places like corners of rooms and under shed in back yard… I had a plan and knew this was coming soon, but it’s always hard to let a beloved pet go. I scheduled a euthanasia appointment for tomorrow morning to end the suffering 😢. Will miss my sweet girl, but it’s definitely time.
IMG_2270.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom