Scissor lift safety question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I was working on my old Jeep, the Bendpak would raise it enough to work under, and I could still use conventional jack stands as a safety back up (the lift has a mechanical lock). I find that for good clearance on this truck, I have to raise it higher than the jacks will reach. Bendpak sells a larger model, but at $1200 each, uh...no thanks.

Any suggestions?

Dig a grease pit?

IDK, I bought a lift to avoid needing to deal with that.

Set dunnage on the bendpack, lift in stages?

Do that enough & you'll be happy to sell yours & upgrade?

I am a jack stand man. I know you aren't supposed to put all four corners on them, but I always leave the jack under there as a back up if I am working underneath and be sure to shove my ample weight into the truck in a few places to be sure it's not going anywhere. I do this on my poured concrete garage floor, not my asphalt driveway. I feel safe.

I am a jack stand man. I know you aren't supposed to put all four corners on them, but I always leave the jack under there as a back up if I am working underneath and be sure to shove my ample weight into the truck in a few places to be sure it's not going anywhere. I do this on my poured concrete garage floor, not my asphalt driveway. I feel safe.
OK, I'll bite, why are you not supposed to support the truck on four jack stands?

OK, I'll bite, why are you not supposed to support the truck on four jack stands?
I think the theory is that if you have all four wheels off and something happens, you will end up like a squashed bug on a windshield. That's why I make sure things are sturdy before I get under there and leave the jack in place if I can. I have had asphalt start to sink on a hot day and that made me pause and think about what might happen if it sunk so much that it became tipped and slid off the stands. It's probably overkill, but I come from a long line of worriers.

I agree with not point-loading hot asphalt, that's a bad idea on a good day.

Oddly enough, the FSM says to do exactly that; support the truck off the ground on all four frame points for maintenance. It does not state that is only for a lift though. Given the base design of all the jack stands I've ever seen, I'm not uncomfortable with the idea.

I agree with your safety check too; I liberally shake anything I've propped up off the ground, before I get anywhere near where it can fall on me.

I should have specified- I bought a vehicle hoist. A twin tower electric (Launch Tech) over oil.

I have a few cars, weld off the lift arms, etc.

I think the theory is that if you have all four wheels off and something happens, you will end up like a squashed bug on a windshield. That's why I make sure things are sturdy before I get under there and leave the jack in place if I can. I have had asphalt start to sink on a hot day and that made me pause and think about what might happen if it sunk so much that it became tipped and slid off the stands. It's probably overkill, but I come from a long line of worriers.

I'd say the fact that the line is 'long'....is proof that extra caution has served your family well. They have avoided those 'self correcting' problems in numbers great enough to ensure the family tree continues to grow. ;)

Good on Ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom