school me on transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a stock 2f and a sm420 transmission with a stock transfer case, Is there upgraded after market TCs that could bolt up to the sm420, and also an upgraded third? I had put in a fine spline pinion third last year hoping that would hold up, maybe got a bad one that had been previously stressed , or maybe that darn skinny pedal has everything to do with it ,,,
I have another tc I could throw in and change out the third and keep wheelin,, ? very stressed ,capt.:frown:

so what are you asking? Im lost

I have a 2F to SM420 to 2.28 Toybox to a 3 speed case down to 4.56 gears and 40" rubber the transfer case has marks case save and nose cone saver and no problems yet.

And I twisted the splines off of a Longfield axle, Broke my front detroit locker, snapped a rear poly performance axle like it was nothing and twisted the splines over a full spline on the other side at the same time.

Orion would do whast you wish.

And,
Do you have a traction bar?

Orion would do whast you wish.

And,
Do you have a traction bar?
Yes,I have a traction bar. And what I was asking is , is the toyota oem TC behind the 420 a good choice, and being that it is ripped down, is time to upgrade? and what do i upgrade to? sorry to seem naive but im trying to educate myself. and thanks for the input

Yes,I have a traction bar. And what I was asking is , is the toyota oem TC behind the 420 a good choice, and being that it is ripped down, is time to upgrade? and what do i upgrade to? sorry to seem naive but im trying to educate myself. and thanks for the input

Like mace suggested...the Orion is an HD case for the 40's.
Advance Adapters makes em. Might wanna check out their site on this. Its a direct replacement. Sounds like the deeper gears might ease the lead foot and help prevent breakage.;)

There are a lot of guys running the stock case behind an SM420. An replacement case with a t-case saver might solve your problems.

That said the Orion case is very very beefy. When you see one next to the OEM case it is bigger. The casting is probably 30% thicker and steel instead of aluminum. I've dropped off a boulder and landed my whole rig on the Orion t-case with no damage. You also have the option of 4:1 gears which gives you a lot more control on obstacles and less need for the skinny pedal.

While your at it get some lockers, they also reduce the need for the right pedal.

Oh and forget about your kids going to college.:flipoff2:

I love the OEM T-case. Gearing is pretty high by modern expectations, but Toyota had some of the lowest stock gears out of any tcase of its day.
That said, if you have the cash to spend, spend it on an Orion. The stocker case will last as long as you don't abuse it, but the Orion's just tougher, deeper, and with a pretty widespread support base.

Take a peek at the Orion sricky on the 40 board.

if your looking for something tougher for cheap then you could put a chevy t-case back there. i'm not sure what that would do to your d-shaft situation though?

what exactly did you break in or on your t-case?

if your looking for something tougher for cheap then you could put a chevy t-case back there. i'm not sure what that would do to your d-shaft situation though?

didnt open it up but what I believe happend is something in the detroit locker bound up and the transfer of the torqe split the case. limped back home and when I put it in reverse thats when the pinion snapped completly off and dropped out on the ground, heres a pict of TC
8cb8d874.jpg

Is there a Chev T-case that's offset?

I don't recall, but I'm inclined to think not.
If you go this route, you'll be looking at axle swaps, break line mods, more headache than it's worth, and the first thing the Blazer owners I've talked to have done is replace their transfer case's geartrain.

Dana 18 is a dual offset tcase.

However, it is not really any stronger than the stock tcase. You can stuff the guts from a Dana 18 into a Dana 20 case for the added strength but that gets complicated and expensive rapidly..

Dual offset tcases put a huge level load on the middle of the tcase. A center output takes a big strain off of the case itself..
You have to beef up a dual offset tcase to make it live with hardcore wheeling.

If you busted your front pinion while backing up you probably are experiencing axle wrap. Any Yoke contact at all?

didnt open it up but what I believe happend is something in the detroit locker bound up and the transfer of the torqe split the case. limped back home and when I put it in reverse thats when the pinion snapped completly off and dropped out on the ground, heres a pict of TC
8cb8d874.jpg

Doesn't sound like a tcase problem, sounds like a detroit problem.

Dana 18 is a dual offset tcase.

However, it is not really any stronger than the stock tcase. You can stuff the guts from a Dana 18 into a Dana 20 case for the added strength but that gets complicated and expensive rapidly..

Dual offset tcases put a huge level load on the middle of the tcase. A center output takes a big strain off of the case itself..
You have to beef up a dual offset tcase to make it live with hardcore wheeling.

If you busted your front pinion while backing up you probably are experiencing axle wrap. Any Yoke contact at all?

Cool info, and it seems to back up what I'd intended to say: swapping to a chevy t-case isn't all that cheap. A stock LC case with a T-case saver will be fairly stout, an Orion would be the beefiest option without buying into Dana axles and an NP205.

Doesn't sound like a tcase problem, sounds like a detroit problem.

X2. Why is it binding?

it's also worth mentioning that by going the 205 route, you'd be going from 2.3:1 low ratio to a 1.96:1...

If the t/case and rear axle are toast it sounds like a perfect time to go with a centered rear axle and the t/case of your choice.If you wheel hard you will end up there any way.Orions are cool but thats alot of money,I have about $1200 in my dana 300 with 4:1 and 32 spline outputs.

Cool info, and it seems to back up what I'd intended to say: swapping to a chevy t-case isn't all that cheap.

What Chevy had a Dana 18 or 20?

I am happy with my 420/Atlas/Hi9 centered rear axle..

:meh:

What Chevy had a Dana 18 or 20?

I am happy with my 420/Atlas/Hi9 centered rear axle..

:meh:

I don't think I said that they did. I've never seen a Chebby with an offset axle, and those things were in my uncle's shop all the time.

Oddly enough, despite the "Fix Or Repair Daily" nickname, I only recall there being a couple Ford trucks in there, mostly Chevies, two Toyotas out of being a regular presence in that shop since he opened it until he closed it for chemo. Most likely a sample of the local preferences, but it's interesting. Total digression however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom