school me on transfer case (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am pretty stupid when it comes to cruiser stuff as I just dont see a reason to spend thousands of dollars on offset tin axles and an aluminum tcase so I never cared much to learn anything about the axles and tcases but....

.... has anyone ever fooled around with a NP200? They have offset outputs and flanges simular to a toyota diff.

I know they come in a divorced config, but has anyone adapted one to a cruiser tranny or to a 420 or 465 or 435?

What about the old rockwell Tcases that came behind 420s in old chevy trucks? they have a centered rear output but I thougfht I have heard about folks putting a flange on the offset shaft that normally has a ebrake drum or nothing at all?

first pic is a NP200

second pic is a rockwell case
np200.jpg
rockwell case.jpg

IMO, offset rear output T/C's suck. I've broken alot of L/C's & dana 18 cases thru the yrs. Orions are expensive & requires more money to get a lowerer low. I'm currently running a SM420/Dana 20 w/dana 18 gears, which gives me a 2.46:1 low & then did the hybrid mini truck/LC centered rearend. I liked the idea of centering the stk rearend, it's a strong 3rd & mine had 4.88's, & a detriot. Altering the rearend was relitively cheap & easy. I think I paid $50.00 for the mini rearend. I already had the adapter for the dana 20 because I was running a sm420/dana 18, which is the same kit. I had the rare bronco input gear to adapt the 18 gears into the 20. Dana 20's are strong, can do frt dig & cheap, but 2:1. Aftermarket upgrades are available for the 20. Dana 18's w/the 1 1/4" intermediate shaft are cheap too, but takes some searching around to find them. The rare bronco gear can be found w/some searching, or bought thru a bronco vendor for about $100(ouch). I think novak's adapter is about $500. My current low crawl ratio is 84.63:1.

My 1st choice was sm420/dana 300, but I had the adaptor for the dana 20. & it works great. The 300 is a strong case w/ 2.62:1 low & has a lot of upgrades available for it. The Atlas is great, but too much money for me.

Last edited:
I am pretty stupid when it comes to cruiser stuff as I just dont see a reason to spend thousands of dollars on offset tin axles and an aluminum tcase so I never cared much to learn anything about the axles and tcases but....

.... has anyone ever fooled around with a NP200? They have offset outputs and flanges simular to a toyota diff.

I know they come in a divorced config, but has anyone adapted one to a cruiser tranny or to a 420 or 465 or 435?

What about the old rockwell Tcases that came behind 420s in old chevy trucks? they have a centered rear output but I thougfht I have heard about folks putting a flange on the offset shaft that normally has a ebrake drum or nothing at all?

first pic is a NP200

second pic is a rockwell case

Prone to overheating when you go normal speeds. Those tcases are not as strong as a 205, rarer, you'd have to adapt the divorced part..

Really, not a great option.

Split tcase from a 60 is a very strong unit, but I am not sure anyone adapts them to the SM420.

Prone to overheating when you go normal speeds. Those tcases are not as strong as a 205, rarer, you'd have to adapt the divorced part..

Really, not a great option.

Split tcase from a 60 is a very strong unit, but I am not sure anyone adapts them to the SM420.

The rockwell case that came stock in my ol chevy regularly drove 70 mph with 40 inch TSLs for years before the truck got rockwells and a newer 465 tranny. I beat the shiit out of that truck too.
The rockwell in my truck was stock and was already married to a 420 tranny. It sounds like a cheap and easy way to go to me. They are a very short combo too.

I have seen tons of NP200s in big ol mud trucks and small fairground monster trucks with large ag tires and they seem to hold up.
Npt sure on the overheating issue on the NP200 tho as my ol M37 only goes 40mph and sometimes 50 downhill if I push the clutch in.

they have, their early shift rails were problematic, but AA, who markets them, had come up with a solution.

You would have been a great candidate for a rock box if they were still around.

Now im in the need for another fine spline third , if anyone got one they want to get rid of let me know thanks Capt.

Shipping from CA would be murderous, but I have one.
I really recommend local sourcing, though.

I really think you should look local, first. Maybe there's a 60 being parted out in a scrapyard, or a mudder closer to CT with one going to parts.
Not trying to be evasive, I just tend to forget things.

Well I tore the third out this weekend to see what happend and the ring gear a few teeth gone and the bearings from pinion at the bottom ,the cage torn up , few teeth on pinion missing .. nothing out of the norm from the pinion shaft shearing and the gear falling in the dif while the truck was still rolling and then draging it up on the trailer in four whithout the rear wheels turning,?

79 should be the standard 4 speed tcase. I believe it was 1980 when the 40 got the Split tcase.

79 should be the standard 4 speed tcase. I believe it was 1980 when the 40 got the Split tcase.
I agree. Splitcase rolled out in late '80 I think, I know that by '81 it was standard equipment.

If the t/case and rear axle are toast it sounds like a perfect time to go with a centered rear axle and the t/case of your choice.

x1000- even a taco rear-end would be a good upgrade

i think if you had a long wheelbase then you could get away with a centered rear t-case output and a LC rear axle

205's are cheap, and strong as hell...also heavy as hell and not so great on crawl ratio but if he's got a sm420 or 465 then the ratio diff between a lc t-case and a 205 wouldn't be a big deal

i DO think if you get another case and get the case and nosecone savers for it you'll be fine though

x1000- even a taco rear-end would be a good upgrade

I snapped a taco rear axle like a twig. I think they are weaker than a LC axle
(or mini axle actually)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom