School me on finding a vaccuum leak either carb cleaner or propane??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pretty sure I have a leaking intake manifold on my GM-EFI/2F. Need some advice on how best to find the leak. Carb cleaner seems messy but a handheld propane torch seems a little :eek:

Any help? Thanks...

Either one will work fine. I like to put a hose on the end of the propane torch so I can get the gas into the hard to reach places, like the under side.

PS. You don't light the torch; you just spray the gas.

But if you light it, I guarantee there will be a leak when you are done.

There are two outcomes when testing for a vacuum leak: You either want the idle to speed up, or you want it to slow down.

Testing with combustible substances (WD-40, propane, ether...) will speed up the idle since the leak is richening up the mixture.

Non flamables (water primarily) will cause the idle to slow down since it is more or less sealing the leak and anything drawn in suppresses combustion.

Of course, if you have a smoke machine you don't need either. But who has one of those?

The flamable test is usually more sensitive but you stand the risk of blowing yourself up or burning down your cruiser.........

so...starter fluid + caution + video camera (camera so if it does go disastrous you might make some money off it) on Americas Funniest.......:D

Thanks for clearing that up

:idea:

I hadn't that of the hose thing. I'll keep an extinguisher handy.

"so...starter fluid + caution + video camera (camera so if it does go disastrous you might make some money off it) on Americas Funniest.......:D"

LOL--Grant you are THE optimists optimist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom