school me on compressors and nailers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking to get a compressor and nailers to do handywork around the house. what brands to choose, which brands to avoid? looking at a kit that includes the compressor, brad nailer, finish nailer, and staple gun. is this the way to go for a novice or do you have any other suggestions? hp requirements for the compressor?

thanks...

If you go with a Costco or some big-box-no-brand set, you miss out if there is a warranty problem. Although the tools are the SAME ones ( packaged differently), a brand name stamp will get you repair info.
That said...
i have had luck with Bostich tools. Some of mine are over 20 years old, and i use them all the time. Porter cable...different story. the wear out too fast.

Get a compressor that is oil lubricated. I have a Dewalt compressor which was made by Emglo.

For $299ish, you can't beat the Porter Cable nailer/compressor combo kit at Home Depot. The nailers are great for what they are made for and even though the compressor is a bit of a turd for garage/shop use, it is nice to have the little pancake compressor to work in the house. You don't need oiled engines and big tanks for nail guns.

I've remodeled a good portion of our house with the PC kit ~ all new doors, new floors, new trim, windows, window trim, etc. Easily some of the best $300 bucks I've spent. Separately, the guns in the kit price out at over $500 with no compressor.

x2 on Porter Cable- I've used them for years and never had a failure of any kind. They have good prices and are fine for hobbyists and weekenders.

I avoid Cambel Hausfield like the plague.

-Spike

Get a compressor that is oil lubricated. I have a Dewalt compressor which was made by Emglo.

x2 oil lubricated is the only way to go in my book

x2 oil lubricated is the only way to go in my book

Meh. Too heavy IMO for a sometime-use air-nail compressor. If you're running 2-3 guys 8 hours a day 5 days a week, yeah. I've had a Cambell Housfield (did I mention to avoid them like the plague? Yeah, I do own one of their tools) 2 gallon oil-less compressor for over 12 years, and it still does the job it was intended to do. IF that is ALL you intend to do with it, they work fine. If you might use the compressor to air up tires, or (God forbid) run air tools, then buy an oil lubricated model for sure, and nothing less than 20 gallons- bigger is better.

-Spike

spike you have been very lucky then if you have got that much life out a oil-less. I am a carpenter have i see these oil-less burn out all the time. I can see how it might be ok if you use an oil less it for a small nailer only a few times a year tho

I can see how it might be ok if you use an oil less it for a small nailer only a few times a year tho

There's the key. I have 3 compressors- a shop stand-up, a 30 gallon portable, and the wee oil-less. For occasional use with nailers, the wee one is nice 'cause its easy to set up. If I were to have only one compressor, it'd have to be the 30 gallon oiller. The nice thing is that with some of the package deals, the small oil-less compressor is practically free, so it doesn't make sense not to have one.

-Spike

ok, ordered the bostich kit with 2hp/6 gal oil-free compressor, finish, brad, and staple nailers, includes canvas pouch and some other swag. should arrive in about a week. looking forward to using it soon :D

thanks to all for your input!

IMHO Hitachi is the only way to go for framing and coil guns (IE siding roofing pallet). I have two hitachi framers and they are great, i use them daily and occasional smack them against studs or plates to get them to move never broken one. I cant say anything about there new aluminum mag guns stick with the NR83A2. For finish guns or brad nailers I would go with hitachi or porter cable (cheaper but ok). for compressors you get what you pay for. I have seen a great many cheap compressors burn up granted you probly wont use them all day long running multiple guns. I suggest getting an emglo or new dewalt made by emglo the old sppedair models are good hitachi also makes a good compressor.

For those running cheap. I just grabbed a Harbor Freight 2hp 8-gallon oiled compressor for under a $100. Seems to work well and ran enough air to work a texture gun without pausing to build pressure.

I just textured a small bathroom with my Porter Cable pancake compressor. It cycled alot, but it got the job done. I almost traded that little compressor away this summer, but I'm kinda glad I still have it. Wheeling a big compressor into the house is a PITA. This little hummer is easy to set up and does just fine on small jobs. I'd still like to get a big, oiled compressor for the garage, however.

I just textured a small bathroom with my Porter Cable pancake compressor. It cycled alot, but it got the job done. I almost traded that little compressor away this summer, but I'm kinda glad I still have it. Wheeling a big compressor into the house is a PITA. This little hummer is easy to set up and does just fine on small jobs. I'd still like to get a big, oiled compressor for the garage, however.
Portability always comes in handy. Nothing beats the big honker in the garage when you need it, but having some small and portable for little jobs is a big saver too.

Portability always comes in handy. Nothing beats the big honker in the garage when you need it, but having some small and portable for little jobs is a big saver too.

Which brings up a very good point. IMHO, you really do need at least 2 air compressors. Big one in the garage/shop and small portable one for other projects.

Which brings up a very good point. IMHO, you really do need at least 2 air compressors. Big one in the garage/shop and small portable one for other projects.

Or more...counting rig systems or CO2!

Or more...counting rig systems or CO2!

CO2 is nice option also. I keep a 20 lb CO2 tank to blow dust out of stuff. Don't need to wait for the compressor to run and build pressure.

CO2 is nice for putting out fires too.

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom