Builds Schmutz FZJ80 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somebody once said “welcome to the addiction”. What a colossal understatement! Dear fellow mudders…I know how gracious you all are in welcoming new 80 owners and watching them become consumed with their newfound addiction… Well here I am –another addict! My name is Mike, and I've actually been snooping around MUD for several years now. For a long time I remained an anonymous guest, since I felt unworthy to join you until I actually owned a LC. Happily I met my own qualification last August:). Since then I confess I’ve been reluctant to start a build-thread since I know that realistically my build is going to progress much like a fine wine…very slowly. But I know I will be stoked with the end result, and I’m going to enjoy the whole journey getting there!

Fortunately I have been keeping a build-journal on my laptop all along. How selfish of me though, right? Please forgive me, I will get busy sharing right now. I am just going to copy those entries and post them here retroactively till I catch up with real time…

Actually, before I get started, I just need to get this off my chest: I have never felt so well prepared and well educated before a vehicle purchase in my whole life! I had been reading on this forum long before I ever owned my 80, and I’ve been collecting so much interesting and helpful knowledge, as well as inspiration. So, before I go any further, would all of you reading this please accept my heartfelt thanks for all your contributions to this living, growing virtual encyclopedia for 80 owners. What an amazing resource! Like so many other new members, this forum has already given me insight and confidence otherwise unattainable. I know I will keep loving my 80, not just because it is an awesome truck, but also because I have access to your collective knowledge, experience, and support! So, thank you all!!! Ok, for those who care for a little background, read on, otherwise skip to the next post…

My LC story has been 20 years in the making. My wife and I have always enjoyed exploring the outdoors –especially the more remote corners. Over the years we have owned 3 Toyota pickups, and a Tacoma, which were our ticket into the back country. However, as the kids arrived, (now aged 11, 9, & 6), our needs and limitations obviously changed. In an attempt to address these changes, we bought a ’91 4Runner a few years ago. It was cheap, but mechanically sound. Early on, a deer remodeled the front of it at 55 mph, so I used the insurance money to do a home-made-build that ended up looking like this:

01.jpg

That little 4Runner got us almost everywhere we wanted to go. However, once loaded down with it’s 5 occupants and all our gear…it struggled. It lacked power, got terrible mileage, needed beefier suspension and new gears. Plus it dawned on me that we would soon outgrow it. Rather than put more money into it for a limited time, I began to search for a permanent solution. Enter: IH8MUD. All my research on this site told me that an 80 was the answer to all our criteria and budget. And, as they say: “the rest is history”

Last edited:
August 17, 2014: I am FINALLY the proud owner of a white ‘95 FZJ80. It came with:

157,000 miles of experience

2.5” lift and OME suspension, (850 springs in front, 863 in rear)

285/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR tires

Here’s how it looked when I got it home from Boise and washed it:

02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

I’m only the third owner. PM was negligible, since PO is a 14-year Toyota master mechanic who really looked after it. Since good condition 80s are rare in my area, I deviated from my criteria a little, and chose excellent mechanical condition with no rust over one with factory lockers. Besides, that gives me a little project for later…

September 19, 2014: took the 80 on its first real adventure, up a gnarly little trail to Basin Lake. It hardly broke a sweat, and I think I had a goofy smile on my face the whole time! It feels so much more solid and sure-footed than the 4Runner

06.jpg
05.jpg

October 9, 2014: In preparation for my upcoming Moab trip, and due to all the hype on MUD, I tackled the PHH before I put even put 400 miles on the 80 –just for peace of mind. Silicone hose and clamps courtesy of Napa. As you all know, it took several hours, a pound of flesh, and all the French I know…

07.jpg

While I had the use of a mates lift, I also extended my Diff breather hoses into the engine bay:

08.jpg

I terminated the hose extensions with some small fuel-filters, per someone’s idea on MUD, to prevent the ingestion of dirt and dust. If any of you see a potential problem here with any of my methods, please speak up NOW!

October 23, 2014: For our first real long-distance expedition, my son and I took the 80 on a glorious trip to Moab for some wheeling with friends. It was a great learning experience! I was impressed with what the 80 will do with only a CDL, and non-locked axles. Here’s a few from Chicken Corners:

09.jpg
10.jpg

Day 2 should have tackled Kane Cr, but sadly, one of the vehicles in our party was a stock SUV (the brand is a 4-letter-word), so they decided against itL. Oh well, now I’m ready for water crossings anyway.

Instead we hit Fins’n’Things in the morning –which I can only describe as a roller coaster for off-roaders, and very educational for learning about technical driving in a safe environment. In the avo we drove Top Of The World –amazing wheeling to an awe-inspiring view, which IMO rivals the Grand Canyon for impressiveness!

11.jpg
12.jpg

November 6, 2014: put the 80 in long-term storage mode in my garage, since we will be leaving the country for 5 months. Here’s what I did (thanks to MUD info –but I’ll repeat in case it’s helpful to someone):

• Washed the 80 and its undercarriage thoroughly
  • Filled the tank with non-ethanol fuel (man that’s hard to find here!)
  • Changed the engine oil and filter, and drove it for about ten minutes to disperse the fresh oil throughout the engine. Apparently old oil has acids that can potentially cause harm if left to sit for too long.
  • Jacked it up and put wooden blocks under the axles
  • Removed the wheels, aired them down to 12psi, stored them flat under the 80
  • Put a bag over the tailpipe to prevent critters from crawling into the tailpipe
  • Rolled the windows partially down
  • Lifted the wiper arms off the glass
  • Ensured hand-brake is disengaged
  • Removed serpentine belt
  • Disconnected battery
Left note for myself with the above steps, so I could remember how to reverse-engineer the process when I returned.

November 9, 2014: This has nothing to do with the 80, but we embarked on the mother of all roadtrips today, heading to the southern end of Mexico on a 3,000 mile (one way) journey to Huatulco. Took the whole family and the minivan. I know what many of you are thinking…why the blankety-blank didn’t you take the 80? Truth is, since this was my first time driving through Mexico, importing my vehicle, blah, blah, blah, all those completely unfounded horror stories I’d heard over the years were bouncing around in my head, and I just didn’t want to have my 80 stolen! It took me so long to find a good one in the first place. Plus there was the issue of fuel economy. 26 mpg v 16mpg adds up to a lot on a 6,000+ mile trip. In my defense, while down there we hardly ever left the pavement. In retrospect, I wish I had taken the 80. It sure wouldn’t have rubbed its belly on the 236 topes (speed bumps) we had to straddle just to get there! I still cannot believe that the whole time I was in Mexico I did NOT see one single 80 series LC!!! Can anyone offer a plausible theory on why? Maybe because they’ve all been stolen and sent to Colombia;)

April 7, 2015: reunited with my 80 at last –hooray!!!. Reversed the list from last Nov, and it fired right up :clap:

June 17, 2015: the mountains are calling...Since I take my family on some pretty gnarly trails, and I don’t have lockers, I have to at least have a winch for peace of mind. In a serious recovery situation, my 3 minions aren't much help. So I bought a winch on a recent trip to a city. Up here in the Rockies where we live, our trails are mostly, well… rocky. Big rocks, little rocks, and lots of loose shale and gravel on steep inclines. Most of our wheeling takes place above the tree line too, so fortunately, there is always something to winch off. I welded up a hidden 2” receiver hitch that bolts to the chassis rails behind the front bumper. Then welded up a beefy universal winch mount that can attach there or in the rear receiver hitch. Haven’t had the need to use it yet, but it gives me peace of mind. This is just a temporary setup till I can afford a winch bar one day. Below: those 4 mounting bolts are OEM M12s that used to hold the front recovery hooks on a wrecked 80.

13.jpg

That fairly discreet square hole in the bumper (below) is not visible when the winch is off, since the license plate covers the hole. No worries about the plate when the winch is mounted, because Idaho law does not require a front license plate anyway

14.jpg

Have used these Badland winches from HFT for years without problems. When one is on a budget, they’re better than nothing

15.jpg

June 19, 2015: Took the family on a 4-day expedition up beautiful Sawmill Canyon, in the Lost River Range. Some awesome wheeling up here. At one point had the 80 at 10,117ft ASL. For 20 years I have wanted to take this trail (the 296 off Hwy 28) and so glad I did.

16.jpg

17.jpg

So far this seasons adventuring has revealed a hidden talent: I seem to have a knack for picking routes that inevitably turn into ATV or OHV trails…oops:

18.jpg

The problem with ATV trails is one day I'm going to wish I packed a chainsaw ;)

19.jpg

July 1, 2015: Currently I find myself in the position so many of you have already been in: working with an anorexic budget. Sometimes we have to just patiently dream on…As I contemplate the future, my wish list for this season, in order of importance for my needs, is as follows:

1 –full length ARB roof rack, safari basket style. Had one on the 4Runner. Miss it terribly. Hands-down the single most practical upgrade for our situation. Still not sure if I want the mesh or rail floor…Would anyone like to leave a comment based on your experience with either of the two options?

2 –ARB air compressor. Specifically the CKMA12.
(details here: http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKMA12-P3572.aspx)
I’m constantly airing down to about 15-18psi for wheeling, and then back up to 30-35 psi for highway driving. On board air will be a practical addition to the truck. Plus, it’s a prerequisite to air lockers in the future…:) (My current portable air compressor takes over 6 minutes PER TIRE to air up from 18-30psi. That’s a lot of sitting around at the end of an adventure…which gets old in a hurry).

As I can afford it, or if I find a screaming deal in the classifieds, I will be looking to add an ARB winch bar. I love the ‘expedition’ look it gives. Plus, we regularly encounter deer, elk, bovines and equines crossing the highways around here. IMO the extra protection a winch-bar style bumper provides is a valuable investment if one lives in this country.

Oh, and My Long Term Build goals are as follows, (in the most likely order):

ARB air lockers . Probably start with just the rear. If I get into too many situations where we enlist the assistance of the winch, then I will add a front locker in the future. For those of you who are locked, and who wheel in similar terrain to mine, please give me some real-world feedback: how often do you get into a situation where you have to engage your front locker because the rear locker is insufficient? (If you’re a rock-crawler that doesn’t count, because I am not intending to take my 80 rock-crawling).

Sliders –hopefully before I damage my rocker panels

Tailgate storage box, like Wagongears or the flush-model that @FloridaFJ80 is distributing –see thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gauging-interest-80-series-rear-tailgate-storage.863173/

Snorkel –Because I appreciate the real-world benefits. But also coz they just finish off the whole ‘expedition’ look.

Rear bumper with tire carrier swing-out and drop-down galley bench on the inside. I don’t know that I’ll ever have the surplus funds to justify buying one of these, so might weld one up over the winter…we’ll see

Dual battery system. By the time I get this far down my list, maybe the kids will be old enough not to leave the doors open and cabin lights on. Wait a minute –is that why they make LED lighting?

Auxiliary fuel tank. For longer expeditions. I’m sick of dealing with 5-gallon fuel cans…Since I want a tank to fit where the undercarriage spare tire location, this mod will have follow the rear bumper. These last two items are for longer expeditions that I’m planning far into the future…

July 2, 2015: those with a keen eye may have noticed that the front PS corner is missing off my stock bumper. I bought it that way. Never worried me since I was going to get an off road winch bar. Well, here we are, after a whole year looking at that awful gap, it’s really starting to bug me. I take pride in my 80, and it just looks neglected. So I tracked down Frank, the new owner of the two other 80s in town, and bought the bumper off his wrecked 80. Paid $30 for the entire bumper, although the only useful piece is the PS corner. It took me almost a half hour to disentangle the bloody thing, coz it was all twisted up from the accident. Got it home, and what-do-you-know, it’s not the same depth as my bumper. It’s about 2” narrower, actually, so the corner does not fit properly.

20.jpg

In the end I had to get creative, and I’m not really proud of the final result. However, IMO right now, a modified corner is better than the gaping hole which preceded it. I had to force the new piece to accept the contours of my bumper with some stout rivets:

21.jpg

July 3, 2015: So, what does one do when one doesn’t really have funds to move ahead with the build, but one wants to do SOMETHING to the 80? Answer: one conducts inexpensive cosmetic experiments. In truth, I hate chrome. Everyone is different, and I think no less of people who like chrome. Personally, however, I have never liked chrome. And I don’t even know why. But there it is, hence I have never really liked the only piece of chrome on my 80, which is the front piece around the headlights and grille. This is what I’m talking about:

22.jpg

My mate Brandon, who owns a body shop, gave me a nice recipe for painting chrome when I was prettying up the 4Runner. The method is this:

1. sand the chrome with a fine-grit sandpaper. I used 220 grit wet and dry
  2. wipe off with cloth dampened with denatured alcohol or lacquer-thiner
  3. spray 2 or 3 coats of self-etching primer (I got a can at Napa for less than $7)
  4. apply 2-3 coats of the final color –I like black, in a satin finish
So today, I painted the chrome on my 80. It turned out like this:

23.jpg

And for fun, without the emblem:

24.jpg

Just for kicks and giggles, I covered the valance with masking tape, and sprayed it black too:

25.jpg

I almost think that once the winch bar is on, this would really make the front of the 80 look beefy! But the transition on the sides below the headlights doesn't quite work for me. Therefore, for now the tape has been removed and the valance remains white

July 9, 2015: Still in the cosmetic department, I have been wanting to get my rims powder coated for nearly a year. I have always preferred black rims. Prior to today, the closest powder coater I found is 2 ½ hrs away, which makes the project just a tad inconvenient, and therefore, has held me back all this time. But today, I stumbled across an unmarked local custom shop which can do powder coating for $60 per rim. Price includes sand blasting and a day in the oven to bake off any contaminants pre-powder coating. Choice! I had him order in 50% gloss (since I like the satin black look). Maybe next week I will have the tires removed and drop off the rims. He also indicated he can fab off road bumpers. Will definitely investigate that further.

Last edited:
For the benefit of any mudders in the Missoula, MT area, Clark Industrial (ph: 406-273-6030) does powder coating. They charge $65 per rim to powder coat bare metal or painted rims, and $75 per rim to powder coat chrome rims. That includes sand blasting and the bake process.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom