Builds Schmutz FZJ80 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Followed all that up with a hard shell Turtle Wax treatment. Really does wonders to preserve the paint, even if it is only done once a year. The results are extremely pleasing.

0B359E43-9060-4461-B8B8-2D75BB66E259.jpeg

D810A928-15F6-46A2-9C13-F6248186BD31.jpeg

F7550743-141A-4C12-86CF-FFA246BE0063.jpeg

318496A1-DDC9-4A49-BAFB-742554D89D1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Today marks a sad milestone in my build story —I sold my beloved 80 😢

I know this may seem abrupt to those of you reading this thread. I'll explain later, if you're interested. I offered her for sale last Friday, June 11 —first here on MUD, of course. Here she is, shortly before leaving with her proud new owner, heading for new adventures in MT, with 175,053 original miles on the odo.

0829F67E-4EC9-4B3D-85B2-610CD871C4B1.jpeg

I have never actually felt sad before, watching one of my vehicles drive off with their new owner. But he seems like a really decent bloke who will treat her with respect yet still use her for what she was designed (and built) for.

Andy, here’s to your new addiction 🥂
I wish you many, many happy times and great memories with this wonderful 80! I hope you join the MUD community so we can keep up with your adventures together!

Last edited:
And thus ends my FZJ80 build thread.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the journey. It’s been an absolute pleasure. I have learned so much, not just about these awesome trucks, but about off-roading and wheeling in general. Thank you to this wonderful community of passionate and generous enthusiasts for helping me enjoy this adventure. You helped me years before I ever drove an 80, so that I could buy mine with absolute confidence. And you helped me build my 80 into an awesome adventure partner that my whole family enjoyed. I really hope another 80 awaits me in the future. In the meantime, hope you don’t mind if I stick around on the forum…

—Mike

I know selling my 80 seems awfully abrupt.

If you’re interested in knowing why, then please read on…

If not, then thanks for your support in reading this far 😊

One of my favorite quotes goes like this: “Life happens while you’re making other plans”

Well… there’s a multiplicity of factors converging and overlapping at this point in time in my life that have contributed to this premature end to my 80 ownership. In no particular order here are some of the major ones:

(1) Health. As much as I love my 80, I love my wife even more. In recent years her back injury has prevented her from fully enjoying our wheeling and camping experiences. Sadly the wheeling portion in particular has become too violent for her spine. Don’t get me wrong, she’s a trooper!And she doesn’t ever complain. But I can see she suffers at times in her efforts to be a good sport. Since we’ve always enjoyed exploring and wheeling together, I imagine that it would be kind and reasonable on my part to find some quiet locales that can be reached more comfortably for her, rather than pursue primitive trails. In which case perhaps a stock vehicle would suffice for us? Let’s face it, that would almost be a waste of an 80 😱

(2) Life-change event. NO, we’re NOT pregnant! 😳 My wife’s parents will be moving in with us. Their age and health make it a struggle to care for their own home two-and-a-half hours away. Fortunately, we get along super well. We’ve been offering for years that they may join us when they’re ready. Well, they have confessed that they are ready now, and the sale of their home actually closes this month. However, this combining of households means we likely will have to move to a more suitable home. Outrageous real estate prices in our area may even mean we have to look out of state 🤷🏽‍♂️ Currently we’re exploring options…

(3) Car Lot syndrome. We have too many vehicles! As of this morning, my wife and I owned three —the 80, a full size truck, and a minivan. My son just got his first wheels last September (an ‘89 1st gen 4Runner 😁). My daughter is saving for her first. And Mom’n’Dad will bring at least one vehicle. Seems most practical (and economical) to consolidate our three vehicles down to just one that will do a bit of everything —mild off road capabilities + occasional heavy towing + daily driver with reasonable economy. Any suggestions? How many of you are thinking “DUH — just keep the 80!” ? I said “reasonable economy” 🤣 Anyway, one down —two to go.

As you can tell, none of those factors on their own are enough to warrant selling the 80. But when combined, and they all overlap, then it may seem more sensible. Plus, there are other factors too, that I won’t disclose, but I promise they have nothing to do with any issues with the 80 itself. Bottom line is, I'm trying to make the best decision I can for now. What sucks is, I know I'm going to regret it! 🤦🏽‍♂️

The irony here is that our family really loved this 80! She’s part of the family! The lion’s share of our favorite memories over the last 7 years revolve around things we’ve done with this truck. Also, looking back over the last few years on this thread, isn’t it obvious that I haven’t done very much in the way of “build-worthy” additions? Just a bit of tinkering really. You may wonder why? I’ve been contemplating that same question for a while now. It certainly wasn’t deliberate. It’s just that we reached a sweet-spot where the 80 performed everything we required of her so well! We have been completely satisfied with her and have honestly not felt the need to add anything. Of my initial wish-list items, a snorkel would definitely look kewl, but no deep river crossings ever came our way. Our style of wheeling doesn’t require lockers. I mean, some of the trails we have done were truly epic —especially the ones in Moab (Kokopelli, Hell’s Revenge, Poison Spider Mesa and Top of the World three times). How many unlocked ’modified stock’ vehicles for under $20k are there that one can load up with the entire family, drive 7 hrs down to Moab, wheel on 6-rated trails for a week, and then drive back home another 7 hrs without breaking a sweat? Of course, who am I kidding, these 80s are so über-capable anyway. And I always wheeled her with care and respect. The only two times in 7 years I’ve gotten her properly stuck, the winch came to our rescue. And I don’t think lockers would have helped anyway in those situations, because ice was involved. So it’s hard for me to justify the expense of installing lockers. She would have looked really good with 35s, but these Wrangler tires just won’t die! Honestly, I’m till sitting on the fence with what my next choice in tire size would have been… 🤔 Anyway, my original point is that it never felt like she lacked anything that we needed. She really was perfect for us in her current configuration.

The only addition that I would have made this season is a 270-degree batwing awning. We don’t always have trees around to which we can anchor our red neck awning (tarp) 😂

And all this time we’ve owned her, nothing went wrong. Looking back over the last 7 years, the only “repair bills” were two rear hatch struts in 2015 and the minor AC system fix this spring. That’s less than $200 in repairs for 7 years of ownership and wheeling!!! Everything else has just been regular PM or mods. She is such a fantastically sound, reliable and dependable truck. I have so much trust and confidence in her that I honestly wouldn’t hesitate to load up the family tomorrow and drive her… well, anywhere. Except, now I can’t drive her anymore 😔 [big sigh]

It was @cruiserdan who said “my relationship with my 80 has been one of the most satisfying parts of my life”

I remember reading that on this forum long before I ever owned my own 80. And now I truly understand what he meant!

And that is a nice high point to leave with.

Well Mike, family first always…even before 80s. Unless it’s a cherry, 1000mile, 94, 6M1 80. :flipoff2:
Hope the best for you and yours, best of luck finding real estate that won’t break the bank and facilitate your merging families. You’ll be back to an 80, I’m certain of it.

I just had an horrific thought…. Now that I am currently Cruiserless, 80less, am I supposed to change my avatar? I mean… technically that’s not my 80 anymore 😔

I’m not really sure what the etiquette is for this situation 🤷🏽‍♂️

I just had an horrific thought…. Now that I am currently Cruiserless, 80less, am I supposed to change my avatar? I mean… technically that’s not my 80 anymore 😔

I’m not really sure what the etiquette is for this situation 🤷🏽‍♂️
There is no formal etiquette for this but I know what I would do; make a different avatar. I hope you're not experiencing seller's remorse. Though I'd understand if you were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom