Scheel-Mann seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefarmer

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I am looking at buying a Scheel-Mann seat for my 80. I am hoping that someone in the central valley of California has one that they will let me "test drive". I am in Visalia, but will drive any reasonable amount. I'm also not above bribing someone with their frost beverage of choice (or something along those lines). Thanks

I just recently discovered them after watching an episode of “Built not Bought” about the Aussie blokes wheeling their rigs. Then I got sticker shock. There was a pic on here recently of the Traveler version which looks great with the tan interior, but with such a shallow seat pan, I really wonder how comfortable it can really be as the Germans are renowned for their stiff seats.

Wrong thread.

Last edited:
Wrong thread.

I just recently discovered them after watching an episode of “Built not Bought” about the Aussie blokes wheeling their rigs. Then I got sticker shock. There was a pic on here recently of the Traveler version which looks great with the tan interior, but with such a shallow seat pan, I really wonder how comfortable it can really be as the Germans are renowned for their stiff seats.
Yup, there is nothing cheap about them.

Comfort definitely changes from one person to the next.

I have been able to drive for 14 hours, I would not have been able to do this in the original reapholstered seats.
I have a bad back. I can only take so much of the stock seat. I have talked to Toby at S-M, and he suggested I try to find one to try. He thinks the lower bolsters might be an issue for me, due to my size.

Yeah I sat in a chair while talking to him at an expo... expensive sit.. but worth it for me.
I'm not opposed to the price, but it would be nice to sit in one before spending that much money. This will be the second set of seats the I have bought. The first were out of a tesla. Comfy, but sit about 3" higher than the stock seat.

A long time ago I developed a bad case of sciatica while driving my from Ottawa to Toronto and back. Stopped for gas on the highway and could barely get out. I was too cheap to spend $$$ on a new foam, so I just threw an old pillow on it. The stk seats are crap though, especially for tall folks like me. The top of the headrest comes to the base of my skull. Will need to upgrade to something though if going to Southwest USA.

A long time ago I developed a bad case of sciatica while driving my from Ottawa to Toronto and back. Stopped for gas on the highway and could barely get out. I was too cheap to spend $$$ on a new foam, so I just threw an out pillow on it. The stk seats are crap though, especially for tall folks like me. The top of the headrest comes to the base of my skull. Will need ti upgrade to something though if going to Southwest USA.
I have 3 herniated disks. I am also 6'3" and 325lbs. You are correct, the stock seats suck for anything longer than a short trip. But it would be nice to sit in one before I pay all of that money.

I can say that they are well worth the big investment. If you have discomfort driving then you are not going to want to spend as much time using the vehicle. I will say that Vario F are what we have found work the best. If you are over 6ft you will appreciate the Vario F XXL.

IMG_9561.jpg

03617F8F-47A6-4F92-8E1A-16CEE7469484.JPG

IMG_1330.jpg

Are you able to sit as high up as the stock seats or do you lose some seat height?

These seats have definitely moved up the mod list after this summer’s driving.

Are you able to sit as high up as the stock seats or do you lose some seat height?

These seats have definitely moved up the mod list after this summer’s driving.
They sit in the factory locations with the planted brackets. You don't gain any height if you use them. I'd bet you can drop them slightly and gain a little headroom if you fabricate your own brackets.

They sit in the factory locations with the planted brackets. You don't gain any height if you use them. I'd bet you can drop them slightly and gain a little headroom if you fabricate your own brackets.
They don't sit any lower? I though that they did. Maybe not much, but I figured that without all of the electrics under the seat that it would.

Went out to measure trucks to verify. They are slightly lower. I measured vertically from the sill/carpet floor pan up to the sliding rails on each seat. The planted brackets sit slightly lower front and back 150cm front/120cm rear. Stock seat sliders 160cm front/140cm rear. Seat volume makes up another 1cm or so between the 2 styles. So depending on how you adjust the seat you may be able to gain an inch or bit more over the stock seats. It wasn't enough for me to really notice.

I'm 6'2 and feel like the Vario F on the planted brackets in the shop truck have enough head room for me. If it was my purchase I'd get the XXL to have a taller backrest.

Stock 80 seats have the headrest sorta between my shoulders and a cramped driving position for long drives.
IMG_2229.jpg
IMG_2230.jpg

Last edited:
Went out to measure trucks to verify. They are slightly lower. I measured vertically from the sill/carpet floor pan up to the sliding rails on each seat. The planted brackets sit slightly lower front and back 150cm front/120cm rear. Stock seat sliders 160cm front/140cm rear. Seat volume makes up another 1cm or so between the 2 styles. So depending on how you adjust the seat you may be able to gain an inch or bit more over the stock seats. It wasn't enough for me to really notice.

I'm 6'2 and feel like the Vario F on the planted brackets in the shop truck have enough head room for me. If it was my purchase I'd get the XXL to have a taller backrest.

Stock 80 seats have the headrest sorta between my shoulders and a cramped driving position for long drives.View attachment 3121127View attachment 3121128t sorta between my shoulders and a cramped driving position for long drives.
That is awesome! Thank you.

That is awesome! Thank you.
Sure thing. If you need anything planted or Scheel man give us a call /email. We are dealers for both. We can also take pictures of Scheel-Mann swatches against stock interior if that helps with color determination. Scheel-Mann has the dark photos on their site which can be hard to determine how that looks in a truck. - Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom