Scheel-mann seat install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are a couple of additional pictures that offer some perspective of stock V. Vario XXL height and legroom gained with planted brackets.

I will have a little more detail with a separate thread so I don't clutter up this one.

CF654C0F-F05B-46DA-B90A-DAD63CE36A99.jpeg
4E4CD114-CC49-4AF6-BDDE-BAA689AEE621.jpeg
FC79EFF3-F912-4AB8-9B55-8EFFB647F583.jpeg

Here are a couple of additional pictures that offer some perspective of stock V. Vario XXL height and legroom gained with planted brackets.

I will have a little more detail with a separate thread so I don't clutter up this one.

View attachment 2492171View attachment 2492172View attachment 2492173

HA! That looks great for rear passengers...knew it would be bad, but that is rough.

Spoke with Toby at Scheel-mann yesterday and found out the ONLY difference between the Vario and Vario XXL is the seat back is 3" taller. All else is the same.

HA! That looks great for rear passengers...knew it would be bad, but that is rough.

Spoke with Toby at Scheel-mann yesterday and found out the ONLY difference between the Vario and Vario XXL is the seat back is 3" taller. All else is the same.

Yes if you have a tall person in the front that demands all the room, there is none left for the rear seat passengers. The range of adjustability is another big bonus for the S-M Planted combination for passengers, cargo, and sleeping platforms.

Here are a couple of cheap shots to indicate the adjustment from all the way back to all the way forward. (The seat back is adjusted to a comfortable angle for a 6' person)

5FAA3F45-6232-46F6-A510-E22C5EBCBE64.jpeg
image.jpg

I installed a Vario XXL today. Next to the 2019 Lincoln Continental's 72-way wonder seat, they're the most comfortable this Shrek has ever sat in, long term. I've got L-5/S-1 issues and the 80's 26 year old torture-rack seats were a severe disincentive to long trips.

Observations:
1) the Scheel Mann rails and the Planted bracket holes are off by about 5mm fore-aft from a direct bolt in. I elected to use the second set of holes in the Planted base. I have to send serious props to Toby at Scheel-Mann USA. I sent an email on a Sunday afternoon and had a phone call from him within 15 minutes. We discussed the issue and he green-lit just drilling new holes in the sliders. Handy info for this step: M8 20mm bolts (grade 10.9) with hardened washers and nylock nuts end up being $1/ea at your local Ace Hardware. 19 lb/ft of torque.
2) the seat belt buckle BOLT is a 14mm head....and is 7/16-20 SAE fine thread. A grade 8 7/16-20 fine thread nylock nut is $1.60 at Ace. 32 lb/feet of torque. Access is tight but doable when installing buckle AFTER mounting the seat to rails and rails to base.
3) On the driver's seat left rear corner, there's only about 1 1/2" between the bolt head and the bracket. Solution for this is a Gearwrench to drive it in and a 14mm crow's foot at 90 degrees on your torque wrench. 29 lb/ft here.
4) With the seat ALL the way back and the seat at a normal 10 degree rake, there's only 2" between the back of the Vario and the front edge of the back seat. Of course in that position, at 6'3", I could barely reach the pedals and steering wheel despite orangutan arms! On the opposite end, my 5'1" tall wife could readily pull the seat forward enough for her to reach the controls comfortably
5) I lost no headroom and think I gained about a half inch over the OEM seat.

Assessment:
Why didn't I do this earlier? I can now drive over an hour without regretting the decision, my knee doesn't keep knocking the overdrive switch on the side of the shifter, and there's adequate neck, shoulder, and head support from the 3" inch taller XXL Vario. Seat recline/rake, thigh support depth, lumbar support in both height and depth, and torso bolster are all micro-adjustable by the knobs driving Acme threaded parts instead of a set number of notches.

I haven't wired the heat yet as I plan on reworking the center console, audio, and wiring in the near future.

Not cheap. But it's a quality of life decision. And I'm glad I saved my pennies and made it happen.

Photos: torture rack, new seat (ignore clutter that was moved from the wayback, seat bracket, clearance at maximum rear travel.

IMG_20201223_161338031.jpg

IMG_20201223_154442071_MP.jpg

IMG_20201223_155214116_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201223_155659880.jpg

I installed a Vario XXL today. Next to the 2019 Lincoln Continental's 72-way wonder seat, they're the most comfortable this Shrek has ever sat in, long term. I've got L-5/S-1 issues and the 80's 26 year old torture-rack seats were a severe disincentive to long trips.

Observations:
1) the Scheel Mann rails and the Planted bracket holes are off by about 5mm fore-aft from a direct bolt in. I elected to use the second set of holes in the Planted base. I have to send serious props to Toby at Scheel-Mann USA. I sent an email on a Sunday afternoon and had a phone call from him within 15 minutes. We discussed the issue and he green-lit just drilling new holes in the sliders. Handy info for this step: M8 20mm bolts (grade 10.9) with hardened washers and nylock nuts end up being $1/ea at your local Ace Hardware. 19 lb/ft of torque.
2) the seat belt buckle BOLT is a 14mm head....and is 7/16-20 SAE fine thread. A grade 8 7/16-20 fine thread nylock nut is $1.60 at Ace. 32 lb/feet of torque. Access is tight but doable when installing buckle AFTER mounting the seat to rails and rails to base.
3) On the driver's seat left rear corner, there's only about 1 1/2" between the bolt head and the bracket. Solution for this is a Gearwrench to drive it in and a 14mm crow's foot at 90 degrees on your torque wrench. 29 lb/ft here.
4) With the seat ALL the way back and the seat at a normal 10 degree rake, there's only 2" between the back of the Vario and the front edge of the back seat. Of course in that position, at 6'3", I could barely reach the pedals and steering wheel despite orangutan arms! On the opposite end, my 5'1" tall wife could readily pull the seat forward enough for her to reach the controls comfortably

Assessment:
Why didn't I do this earlier? I can now drive over an hour without regretting the decision, my knee doesn't keep knocking the overdrive switch on the side of the shifter, and there's adequate neck, shoulder, and head support from the 3" inch taller XXL Vario. Seat recline/rake, thigh support depth, lumbar support in both height and depth, and torso bolster are all micro-adjustable by the knobs driving Acme threaded parts instead of a set number of notches.

I haven't wired the heat yet as I plan on reworking the center console, audio, and wiring in the near future.

Not cheap. But it's a quality of life decision. And I'm glad I saved my pennies and made it happen.

Photos: torture rack, new seat (ignore clutter that was moved from the wayback, seat bracket, clearance at maximum rear travel.

View attachment 2533361

View attachment 2533364

View attachment 2533367

View attachment 2533368

Nice write up and report.

I now wish I would've gone with an XXL as I apparently have an "elongated" torso. It is still quite comfy though. I just took my first 3+ hour drive (each way) last weekend and can say that I never had to reposition/move around/squirm/etc the entire time. Quite an accomplishment for me.

Looking at that tag on the Planted bracket, I think the reason you had to adjust holes was because the part number should have "COBRA" in front of it to specifically fit the SM seats. Planted has two different brackets for the 80 Series.

Looking at that tag on the Planted bracket, I think the reason you had to adjust holes was because the part number should have "COBRA" in front of it to specifically fit the SM seats. Planted has two different brackets for the 80 Series.

Ah ha! I've had this bracket for several years and toyed with using recycled BMW seats but never found a set that wasn't a crime scene at a price I was willing to pay. When I sat in a couple of the Scheel-Mann equipped vehicles at Overland Expo East, I had my "accept no substitutes" epiphany.

Nice write up and report.

I now wish I would've gone with an XXL as I apparently have an "elongated" torso. It is still quite comfy though. I just took my first 3+ hour drive (each way) last weekend and can say that I never had to reposition/move around/squirm/etc the entire time. Quite an accomplishment for me.

When I spoke to the guys at Planted (425 Motorsports, for anyone in Seattle) they told me they have to custom drill the brackets for SM install, since the SM pattern interferes with the Recaro pattern that they typically bore. Doesn't cost any more and they have the SM pattern on file, you just have to request at time of order and they'll whip you up a batch.

Ok this is amazing, might have to go to the top of my wish list. Any chance on getting cooled seats?

Ok this is amazing, might have to go to the top of my wish list. Any chance on getting cooled seats?
I wish! That is not an option though. Would require adding one of Mosley Motors setups or similar, and that would seem sacrilegious to some extent. You are supposed to cut the foam a bit to install the pad for those modules.

Observations:

Assessment:

I'm thoroughly happy with my Vario XXLs (and I'm only 5'10"). I think I need to go back and do some torqueing on the Planted bracket assembly, but otherwise fantastic. A trifecta of comfort, support, and cool factor doesn't come often for a fellow L5-S1 problem child.

Despite their large size, we're able to comfortably put a larger, rear-facing car seat behind the passenger side with my wife riding shotgun without any issue. She's probably 5'5" or 5'6".

Up next is a deep carpet clean or replacement and finally wiring up the heated seats and I think we've got this puppy dialed in!

It doesn't show it here, but I did end up having to take off the passenger side arm rest. It just makes contact with the center console.

2E511D9B-6BA1-4E4A-A0BE-72A166F58222.jpeg

]
Up next is a deep carpet clean or replacement and finally wiring up the heated seats and I think we've got this puppy dialed in!

It doesn't show it here, but I did end up having to take off the passenger side arm rest. It just makes contact with the center console.

View attachment 2533765

1) Any chance redrilling and relocating the lid of the console 1/8" towards the driver's side would fix the rub? I'm wondering if the same problem would happen with the Delta VS console....

2) You'd be amazed what pulling the carpet and hitting it with a pressure washer can do for 25+ years of ground in filth. Use the opportunity to put down some hushmat/dynamat type material. Make an over/under bet with the spouse on the oldest coin or dated receipt you find....

1) Any chance redrilling and relocating the lid of the console 1/8" towards the driver's side would fix the rub? I'm wondering if the same problem would happen with the Delta VS console....

2) You'd be amazed what pulling the carpet and hitting it with a pressure washer can do for 25+ years of ground in filth. Use the opportunity to put down some hushmat/dynamat type material. Make an over/under bet with the spouse on the oldest coin or dated receipt you find....

Call it 1/4" to be safe, but not a bad idea. I wonder if my OCDometer would peg knowing that it doesn't line up with the console. With as close as the console is, the lid really does a bang up job as the "new" arm rest. If the CFO (Chief Fun Officer) deems her elbow in need of a plush rest, we must comply.

I never would have thought to fire up the pressure washer. I had only thought to use a steam cleaner or something. Have you installed Dynamat? Concerned the additional thickness would require special placement to avoid seat brackets and the like.

Call it 1/4" to be safe, but not a bad idea. I wonder if my OCDometer would peg knowing that it doesn't line up with the console. With as close as the console is, the lid really does a bang up job as the "new" arm rest. If the CFO (Chief Fun Officer) deems her elbow in need of a plush rest, we must comply.

I never would have thought to fire up the pressure washer. I had only thought to use a steam cleaner or something. Have you installed Dynamat? Concerned the additional thickness would require special placement to avoid seat brackets and the like.

I did it in one of my now gleefully departed German cars. Installation is tedious and requires a couple different sized decent rollers to really get it stuck down but it isn't hard. Plan your work and using newsprint or butcher paper templates beforehand can make the cutting and trimming easier and save material due to the "oops" factor. Regarding seat bases, etc just trim away from the mounting points for seats, consoles, etc. Budget a full day or more to pull the seats, consoles, carpet and clean up 25+ years of dust and grime and then install the material. Have a plan and work it...being 3/4 done and then remembering you forgot to reconnect a wiring harness under the carpet is annoying.

Observations:

Assessment:

View attachment 2533361

View attachment 2533364

View attachment 2533367

View attachment 2533368

Thanks for the write-up. I'll have to look into these. I currently have some older manual seats that were transplanted into my '96 by the PO. I am glad he did that, because the older manual seats give more headroom. But, I could still use some more legroom (I am 6'8"). As long as these don't eat into the headroom, it looks like they could be a nice option.

]

If you look in the first post you can see some pics near the end of the gallery from top down, looking at our console and how it relates to the SM armrest. With our console, there would be no need for the armrest, because of how close it is to the seat.

I utilized the included round switch for the seat heater. Not thinking at the time:bang:, but there was another switch that I could've used in the dash. It controlled the rear heater that I removed years ago and the switch is just sitting there as useful as a blank hole cover. I like the @Delta VS console and if I decide to put a SM shotgun seat in, it looks like your console can be used in place of an armrest for that passenger seat.
IMG_1564a.JPG

I installed the standard Vario F seat, not the XXL. But I have slightly more room than others have posted when seat is adjusted to the rear limit:
IMG_1565a.JPG

And when seat is adjusted for my driving position, not much less than OEM:
IMG_1568a.JPG

For those of you looking for hard numbers to compare leg and headroom of the Vario to the OEM seat, I just took a couple of quick Stanley tape measure eyeball measurements of my passenger (OEM toadstool) and driver's seat (Vario-XXL).

Vario: Seat cushion depth (with thigh rest in neutral shipped position) from front edge to back cushion: 20". Headroom measured as seat cushion at backrest joint to sunroof edge trim: 38" in an eyeballed vertical drop. Gap between back of seat at ~10 degree recline to front edge of back seat at maximum rear travel: 2" Front edge of seat to brake pedal (straight line hypotenuse) is 24" at maximum rearward travel.

OEM seat, front edge to back: 16.25." From seat cushion at backrest to sunroof trim: 37". At maximum rearward travel, gap to back seat is 7".

TL;DR: Compared to OEM, you'll gain 3 3/4" of thigh support, about an inch of head room, and at least 5" of legroom with the Vario on a Planted base.

I made this when asked how they compare to other seats.

Dark blue (adjustable): 22
Light blue: 23.25 (xxl would be 3” longer here)
Red: 13.5
Yellow: 13
Green (adjustable): 18

32FD72F1-DA1B-437E-867E-37BE7FD49E4A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom