Scheduled Maintenance Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.copanomediagroup.com
So I bought a new GX460 2022 from a dealer back in the fall and have already had my oil changed and tires rotated at 10k miles. As I approach 15k, I'm wondering if I need to do anything and can skip the 15k check. I got my oil changed less than 2 months ago. These 5k intervals seem overkill for a new vehicle, as I mostly drive on the highway and very occasionally go offroad. I get oil changes and tire rotations, but I usually rotate at 7.5-10k miles. I have attached what the booklet from Lexus says. Any thoughts?

IMG_0268.jpeg

Every time I go in for my oil change, (8-10k miles) my mechanic does all that inspection anyways and keeps me appraised of anything I should know about. For him that's part of his service, no extra. AND he's reasonably priced!
Too bad your not near him.

On all of the new vehicles we've bought I always skip the small/moderate scheduled maintenances and just take them to the dealer for the "big" 30/60/90k services. To be honest, most of the things on that list could easily be checked as a DIY with climbing under the vehicle to do things like make sure your CV boots aren't torn. Some of the other things....like chassis and exhaust bolts being loose....I've never had happen on a newer vehicle, so they are a questionable need IMO (although they are usually checked for the "big" services).

FYI - I usually do oil changes every 5K on my vehicles, but they are driven hard. I know lots of people like the 7.5K or even 10K OCI but oil is cheap and I want my vehicles to last as long as possible. The 7.5K or 10K OCI is really for "perfect" driving conditions (basically interstate cruising), any appreciable in-town driving will reduce the oil life.

On all of the new vehicles we've bought I always skip the small/moderate scheduled maintenances and just take them to the dealer for the "big" 30/60/90k services. To be honest, most of the things on that list could easily be checked as a DIY with climbing under the vehicle to do things like make sure your CV boots aren't torn. Some of the other things....like chassis and exhaust bolts being loose....I've never had happen on a newer vehicle, so they are a questionable need IMO (although they are usually checked for the "big" services).

FYI - I usually do oil changes every 5K on my vehicles, but they are driven hard. I know lots of people like the 7.5K or even 10K OCI but oil is cheap and I want my vehicles to last as long as possible. The 7.5K or 10K OCI is really for "perfect" driving conditions (basically interstate cruising), any appreciable in-town driving will reduce the oil life.
I agree with you but just wanted to confirm my assertion and see what someone like yourself does with the GX.

I will keep an eye on the 30/60 and 90k marks!

Definitely get new Denso filters, direct from a dealer (your local dealer or online through a real dealer website - not eBay/Amazon where counterfeit Toyota filters abound). OEM Denso filters are cheaper than aftermarket.

For my 0W-20 vehicles I've always used Mobil1 Advanced Fuel Economy full synthetic, which is $28/5-qt jug from Wal-Mart (by far the cheapest place to find it - oil is about the only time I go to Wal-Mart). Mobil1 makes the Lexus/Toyota oil you get at the dealer. Although the formulation for the Toyota oil might be a bit different, the normal Mobil1 0W-20 is an excellent oil (zero problems in my Mazda and Subaru with higher mileage) and will work just fine in your GX.

Get a Fumoto valve to replace the plug and then no need to remove it. Just open the valve. I’ve been running them for years.
Totally agree with this. Easier and cleaner than a traditional drain plug. Also helps if taking a sample of oil (ie Blackstone used oil analysis, etc) or if you overfill and need to drop a small amount, which I did just last weekend.
Between the Fumoto and a filter wrench, you’ll be surprised how easy an oil change can be.

Do all the GX owners manuals state to inspect the active height control fluid? I thought that was anbLX only thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom