Saw this 79 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_3237.JPG
IMG_3238.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG
this looks like a 79 series pickup yes? Came across it for the first time in Costa Rica. This thing was awesome. There's gotta be a way to import these to the US.

What if we imported it without an engine?

Where did you take that pic?

Was it plated out of CR?

Importing one sans engine wouldn't get you any closer to being able to legally title, and register, one in the US as the frame is the serial numbered part.

However bringing in body parts isn't illegal.

Jeremiah Proffitt bought several new 70 series single cab bodies a few years back.
As of this time last last year he still had a few left.

You could plop one on an 80 and be good to go...although that doesn't give you 4 doors.

Christo Slee used one to build this:

Slee Off Road Combines the Best Toyota Parts in One Land Cruiser

I'd love to have a 79 double cab like that. Heck, even going Slee's route and grafting the 79 body to something else would be great.

I wonder if that is stock. The rear doors look like from a troopy. I think this is stock.

c5ab698623bc8ed10736418cd3a918d8.jpg

Where did you take that pic?

Was it plated out of CR?

Importing one sans engine wouldn't get you any closer to being able to legally title, and register, one in the US as the frame is the serial numbered part.

Jeremiah Proffitt bought several new 70 series single cab bodies a few years back.
As of this time last last year he still had a few left.

You could plop one on an 80 and be good to go...although that doesn't give you 4 doors.

Christo Slee used one to build this:

Slee Off Road Combines the Best Toyota Parts in One Land Cruiser
That is taken here in Costa Rica. It's costa rican plates.
Ah slee offroad, I remember them from a long time ago. Bookmarked that article. I'm going to build some FJ43s next but I think I'm adding this to my bucket list of projects.
Maybe retrofit the crew cab 79 to a tundra or something...

Last edited:
I wonder if that is stock. The rear doors look like from a troopy. I think this is stock.

That's a custom dual-cab made in South Africa. The original photo is a factory dual-cab 79. Troopy's do not have rear doors.

Automotive parts that are not DOT certified must be 25+ years old to be legal.

Such a beautiful truck.

OE currently has the rear doors with the radius on the lower rear, maybe that is a conversion?

LandCruiser 70 Prices | Toyota Australia

That is taken here in Costa Rica. It's costa rican plates.
Ah slee offroad, I remember them from a long time ago. Bookmarked that article. I'm going to build some FJ43s next but I think I'm adding this to my bucket list of projects.
Maybe retrofit the crew cab 79 to a tundra or something...

Right on, cool!

A 79 is 1790mm wide according to Mr. T., a Taco is somewhere around 1889mm, 1910 for a TRD (flares) and the Tundra is approximately 2029mm. Hmm...Taco frame with a S/C motor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom