Saving The Old Rustbucket--My 1982 FJ40 Tale (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IH 25 Somewhere Between Fort Collins and Cheyenne

1911;737 7644 said:
Suggested sound track: "Ten Degrees and Getting Colder" by The Great One :) , Gordon Lightfoot.

gordon lightfoot 10 degrees and getting colder live in concert bbc 1972 - YouTube

Excellent choice. What happened to Lightfoot? Is he retired?

Speaking of ten degrees and getting colder, I forgot to post this...Interstate 25, north of Fort Collins.
Wyoming IH 25 Snow-3.jpg

Great Writing! thank you...

Juan
1970fj40
1978fj40
1994fzj80
1983fj43(sold)

Lee,

Don't get me wrong as I'm really enjoying the story but, WE NEED AN ARMY UPDATE!

Sorry, my wife and I have been worried all weekend. Thanks!

Excellent choice. What happened to Lightfoot? Is he retired?

According to the interwebs he has a touring schedule that extends through September of this year, despite suffering a stroke in 2006. He's 73 years old.

Thanks

That's a fine collection but keep in mind that all those tunes are Townes covers. For your next purchase I'd highly recommend Live At the Old Quarter, TVZ at his best. It was an epic performance.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just purchased it and will listen to it all tonight while I clean 2F engine parts and dream of my next road trip. :clap:

Lee,

Don't get me wrong as I'm really enjoying the story but, WE NEED AN ARMY UPDATE!

Sorry, my wife and I have been worried all weekend. Thanks!

Here's what I know as of this afternoon. According to the pulmonologist my Dad's condition has not improved since his hospitalization last Tuesday. He's still being treated for pneumonia and a right chest pleural effusion. As you can imagine, pneumonia is rough on a 91 year old and he was already frail before this came up. He had a thoracentesis (pleural tap) last Thursday and 2.3 liters of fluid were drained from his pleural cavity. The fluid buildup has recurred and they're doing a second tap now, as I write this. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that he's confused about where he is and why he's here so there isn't much conversation. He is lucid at times but isn't able to speak more than a few words without gasping for breath. He sleeps most of the time but periodically will open his eyes and ask a question. Late last night a nurse came in to check his vitals and when she woke him he seemed agitated. He asked if his "boy" was here. That's me, still his boy. She pointed to me and that seemed to ease his mind. I'm not goin' anywhere.

As I keep saying, and I can't say it enough, thanks to all of you for your concern and well wishes for Army. Keep them coming.

Pleural effusions are no fun - hypoxia makes old people confused.

Give Army my best wishes. We're all thinking positive thoughts here.

Thanks for the update, wish we were closer so we could pull a bedside shift. Please know we are all pulling for both of you. Don't know if Army is a fan of hospital flowers, so is there anything we can send that he'd enjoy?

Lee...still praying and thinking about ya'll

Best wishes for Army coming from NH. He's got to get better so you can take him on a road trip! Although in something a bit more senior citizen friendly than an FJ40 of course. Army sounds a lot like my grandfather. I sure miss him.

Lee, I went through the same thing with my Dad, an 8th AF, Army Air Corp WW2 B26 pilot....sounds much like army, even though I did Viet Nam and Desert Storm, It couldn't come close to matching what those guys went through in WW2, when the decision finally had to be made, it came to quality of life and how he lived all those years, short. to the point, no time for BS, if you didn't have anything to say worthwhile keep your mouth shut.....sounds a lot like Army to me....advice? Respect the way he lived and if the time comes,give him that respect...my heart is with you..been there done that...Lee....PS, tell the old bastard to fight like hell

Boy, dittos on the best wishes. Went through that to the last breath with my Dad. Miss him bad but he had a good long life and lived it honorably. Like so many of us here I pray for both of you. Keep the faith.
Mike

Wow, just Wow!

I just spent an entire day glued to my laptop. Your writing is incredible. I can't believe I just read 23 pages of a story about an old rustbucket, and have not been introduced to the old rustbucket yet. Your story telling abilities are amazing. Any chance i could invite you to every campfire ever lit. I was about to say every campfire I ever have, but I don't want to be selfish as the entire world deserves to hear you tell your tale!

My best wishes go out to Army! Make the most of this time my friend. I never got to "say Goodbye" to my dad and that has always and will always be a huge regret for me. My point being you are in the right place, and like others have said, tell him to fight!

Your story has touched me on many levels, and brought out many emotions and memories.

I will now look forward to the rest of this story, and meeting an old rustbucket, once you get there. Please don't rush. Your story is now on my daily check list.

Again, you are an amazing storyteller!

One more thing, just curious but what does your son do up here in Nanaimo?

Best Wishes!

Brad

Hope everything is going all right.

Wow, just read all 23 pages in one go. Thank you so much for sharing your stories.

Give Army my best wishes. He will pull through. He is tough as nails, they don't make'm like that anymore.

Army Update

Up to the minute report from the hospital. Army seems to be beating his pneumonia. The pulmonologist says he's turning the corner and his lungs appear to be clearing. Yesterday he was chewing out his nurse, which usually means he's feeling better. On Tuesday they found a new problem, a small blood clot in his left internal jugular vein, so he's still confined to his bed and not liking it one bit. The doc doesn't seem to be alarmed by the clot. They're treating it with meds and hope it'll break up without surgical intervention.

I'm still reading him your posts each day. He's a humble man and continues to be flattered by all the attention. Thanks again to all for your support.

Lee

40 Tech: Sorry, I got nuthin. The rustbucket tale has taken a back seat this week, but I hope to have the Sheridan, Wyoming chapter finished soon. Workin' on it, a few words at a time.

Man , that update made my whole week ! I spent several months last fall dealing with my own father and some pretty serious strokes , those nights in the ICU were no fun . Against all odds he's bounced back and out running around like nothing happened .

Army's generation is just a different breed , almost super-human by today's standards . I'm sure he'll just surprise 'em one day and get up and just leave...
Sarge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom