SAS SAS #8 Official Page 08/05/2024-08/09/2024 (6 Viewers)

Vote for this years color for shirts and trail flags

• • Sky Blue

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • • Pollux Orange (vote for this please)

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • • Capri Blue

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And new/refurbished hardware = torque 💯!
I get all new OEM hardware for every project when it’s available. i’m certainly not going to put dirty junk back in, and cleaning old hardware is the most time consuming part of every project. Plus the fresh hardware is shiny!

@ThatKOAGuy The torque markings are because I have the memory of a goldfish and would otherwise 100% forget if I tightened a bolt or not haha.

I get all new OEM hardware for every project when it’s available. i’m certainly not going to put dirty junk back in, and cleaning old hardware is the most time consuming part of every project. Plus the fresh hardware is shiny!

@ThatKOAGuy The torque markings are because I have the memory of a goldfish and would otherwise 100% forget if I tightened a bolt or not haha.
No worries, my memory isn't much longer. I used to repair CNC machines, we had to put torque markings on everything. It just reminds me of my previous life.

I will extend this and add… being new to the FJ40, I didn’t understand that 1980s changed hardware in August 1980 when I got brake parts a few years ago.

Thus any 60 series (or 8/80+ FJ40) with rear drums looking for OEM brake parts. Lets me know if interested- prefer to sell complete if possible - I’d be willing to sell at what I paid 2 years ago plus shipping.

Found a few shots from last year.
1710863007758.jpeg

1710863050541.jpeg

1710863090157.jpeg

Anybody have any experience with one of these?

I found out the other day I hadn't used any credit card points in quite some time, I loaded up on Cabelas gift cards. Once they show up I was planning on getting the Garmin unless somebody says don't
Then I'll just blow $1500 on ammo. 😆

I found out the other day I hadn't used any credit card points in quite some time, I loaded up on Cabelas gift cards. Once they show up I was planning on getting the Garmin unless somebody says don't
I actually field tested one and shot a small campaign for them. It’s pretty powerful. It has a lot of the same features as OnX hunt (plus a ton more) and it’s satellite based so it works everywhere.

Pretty cool piece of kit. Big though.

I actually field tested one and shot a small campaign for them. It’s pretty powerful. It has a lot of the same features as OnX hunt (plus a ton more) and it’s satellite based so it works everywhere.

In my tundra for size ref

1710894683111.jpeg

That settles that.

I was looking at the 8" model. My thought was to put a plate at the top of the windshield frame using the rear view mirror mounting holes to do so. Use the plate to mount an AMP ball.
I need to inspect those mounting screws first to see if they are up to it.

Then it would occupy the space between the glass and the top. Plus, I think I remember GPS doesn't have a problem with fibreglass, (but it does with carbon), so the add on antennae shouldn't be necessary. Glare should be minimal so long as at least one or two tires have terra contact yet.

There's an acre of room up there, plus out of sight, out of mind a tiny bit when some POS is looking to get rapid onset lead poisoning whilst eyeballing my stuff.

That settles that.

I was looking at the 8" model. My thought was to put a plate at the top of the windshield frame using the rear view mirror mounting holes to do so. Use the plate to mount an AMP ball.
I need to inspect those mounting screws first to see if they are up to it.

Then it would occupy the space between the glass and the top. Plus, I think I remember GPS doesn't have a problem with fibreglass, (but it does with carbon), so the add on antennae shouldn't be necessary. Glare should be minimal so long as at least one or two tires have terra contact yet.

There's an acre of room up there, plus out of sight, out of mind a tiny bit when some POS is looking to get rapid onset lead poisoning whilst eyeballing my stuff.
Sounds like a plan. I don’t recall glare ever being a problem, it is very well made and thought out.

I had it mounted in a ford transit and shot in 7 different states in some remote AF places over the course of a month and a half. My favorite feature is the land ownership identification, sort of like OnX but worked better. Was able to see what was private land and what was public use so I wouldn’t incur any of my own ROLP.

In my 40, I have my phone mounted via a magnet on the top of the windshield frame to the left of my rear view mirror. Got a 10’ cord with a right angle plug and a bunch of adhesive cable organizer tabs and ran it back around the passenger side of the frame to the 12v outlet. It’s pretty clean and hardly noticeable. Just a thought there.

From what I remember, the mounting options that came with it were pretty extensive. I had the larger (11”?) model which felt extreme at the time but I quickly got used to it and certainly missed the unit when I had to send it back.

The other piece of kit I had were the 3 different InReach deals. Those were really handy in that I could check in with my wife via text anywhere, did require a subscription but that could be turned on and off as needed.

Lastly, there is a bit of a learning curve with the subject at hand. Initially I just plugged it in and just had it there for images I was shooting. Once I realized how powerful it was I really spent time getting it setup and it saved my bacon several times.

HTH

Fun fact @RevISK , you can hook up to four cameras to the unit.

I just ordered two. One for the back, and one for an approach camera on the front.

That's really cool.

I'm curious how the weather portion of it works. I'm not sure I have a use for the Inreach functions outside of that. In the early stages of planning a trip to Alaska possibly in 2026, some of those features might be worth the subscription there

Fun fact @RevISK , you can hook up to four cameras to the unit.

I just ordered two. One for the back, and one for an approach camera on the front.

That's really cool.

I'm curious how the weather portion of it works. I'm not sure I have a use for the Inreach functions outside of that. In the early stages of planning a trip to Alaska possibly in 2026, some of those features might be worth the subscription there
Wow, didn’t know about that feature.
That is cool.

My vote is on Ammo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom