Builds Sandy Taupe HZJ75 Troopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time reader, first time caller here. I've owned an FJ62 for past 5 years or so, all kitted out and really an awesome truck. Over the last year I've been on the hunt for a troopy project as I believe it really is the best long distance camping/"overland" vehicle. Turns out in March when the world went crazy, so did the USD to AUD conversion and I just had to jump on one while I had the chance. Luckily this 1994 tan 1hz truck popped up on gumtree and I got to work messaging and trying to convince the seller to help me out getting it to the US.

Luckily the seller was more than happy to work with me and I began looking into shipping. There was a shipping company with an office about 10 minutes from the sellers house, so we agreed to have the shipper handle the transfer of paperwork and money. Sort of an escrow service if you will. It all went super smoothly and the truck was on a boat to Baltimore towards the end of April.

Fast forward beginning of July, it cleared customs with no issues (actually ahead of schedule) and I was taking a ride down to pick it up from the port. What an experience. I'm ecstatic that I did this and even more happy to find the truck in relatively great condition for a 26 year old Aussie Land Cruiser. They don't exactly take it easy on trucks over there. 9/10 trucks are usually hammered or rusty unfortunately. This truck is an original Sandy Tapue truck with a resprayed body. The paint is a 7/10 with some imperfections in various spots. After some extensive searching, I don't believe there is any rust on the body of this thing save for 3 very small holes in the floorpan. Which is wild. I don't see any evidence yet of repairs or patches, and it seems like an incredibly solid base to start with.

My plan for the truck is an Alu-Cab rooftop conversion which is on the way and an eventual build out inside. I'd love to ditch the KutSnake flares and go with ARB, FRP or TJM body painted flares matching the OEM style. Already got in a huge Partsouq order with all the rubber gaskets and missing trim pieces and have also completely gutted the inside of the truck to touch up the surface rust and get it ready to paint the interior.

If anyone is interested in the OEM PTO winch with full driveline and lever as well as the bull bar that came with it, please comment or shoot me a message and I will send you some more photos. Also available are all three rear seats with seatbelts. 2 inward facing benches and 1 forward facing second row.

Enough talking, more photos:

First time seeing it at the port. (note 60 series firetruck in the back)
IMG_4622.jpg

Loaded up and ready for the trip home
IMG_4625.jpg

First order of business was to remove the PTO winch with front bumper and clean everything up a bit.
IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

The bumper and winch weighed just about 250lbs!
61679368546__8534EC14-575D-4537-800A-95489538FC43.jpg

Last edited:
After a day of driving around and getting a feel for the RHD + manual transmission it was time to start digging into the interior to get it ready for paint and sound deadening. This is where I'm currently at on the project. I should be priming the floor and pulling the side glass this weekend. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for a couple weeks and then have to pick back up where I left off.

AfterlightImage.JPG

4O5A6449.JPG

4O5A6447.JPG

4O5A6460.JPG

Last edited:
Slightly off topic -- does that e30 also belong to you? That is such an incredible duo. I'm so jealous I may s*** my pants

Last edited:
Haha the m3 is one of the boss’ collection. They’re such great cars. I have an e36 myself, as well as the wife. BMWs were the first automotive love for sure.

Love the e30 M3, purchased one new in 89, Salmon Silver with grey leather. Sold it in 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom