Sand Ladders, its a good item to buy it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Were you aired down?

Uh, I didn't actually that is a point. It was a long drive on the road back to where I needed to go, and although I did have a compressor with me, it was a big hassle to get it out...

I suppose that would have helped a lot...

Uh, I didn't actually that is a point. It was a long drive on the road back to where I needed to go, and although I did have a compressor with me, it was a big hassle to get it out...

I suppose that would have helped a lot...

Last time I got stuck on a beach with an oncoming tide,I dropped the tyre pressure to 5 psi. It was the only way it would move but it saved my ass

no kidding... that thing didn't fold like a taco when you drove over it...?
No, works quite well, If there is not a ditch or dip in the sand that you are going over, the ladder won't bend. Side rails spread out the weight and the rungs stop you from digging in. Sure wouldn't us it as a ramp or bridge over something.

my question is why couldnt you use the aluminum atv latters they use to load a quad in the back of your truck? if anything they would be just as strong as the normal latters

my question is why couldnt you use the aluminum atv latters they use to load a quad in the back of your truck? if anything they would be just as strong as the normal latters

Weight. Some of those are quite heavy in comparison to a sand ladder.

No, works quite well, If there is not a ditch or dip in the sand that you are going over, the ladder won't bend. Side rails spread out the weight and the rungs stop you from digging in. Sure wouldn't us it as a ramp or bridge over something.

I was more wondering about the rungs bending sideways, especially with skinny tires, but I guess that's fine too from what you say. Real interesting, cuz I have been thinking about working out a ladder for the roof rack or RTT. Now suddenly it could do double duty as sand ladder... sweet...! :)

Five Star Bi-Fold Aluminum ATV Ramp — 72In.L x 40In.W, 1000-Lb. Load Capacity, Model# 400 | Folding Ramps | Northern Tool + Equipment

or

6' Aluminum Bi-Fold Ramp, Atv, Extreme Max at Sportsman's Guide

same price as the steel, cut off the hinges and away you go. buy 2 tri-folds with 2 buddies and you get 3 sets...

only 25lbs from what i've seen or even 18lbs somewhere around in my searches. Now that I've heard some of these others experiences, I'm grabbing two of these ramps, one as a rack base and the other as sand ladders.

like the rope drag technique.

I have two steel landing mats. I have used them as ramps, and to get extra traction in soft ash at the Lost Forest, Oregon. :cheers:
Naveed pics 120.jpg

I have used the floor carpet mats and they actually worked; the maxtrax would be cool but they are expensive

honest i wish i had pictures from that day it was super soft sand very hot ;dug a path and used the floor mats ( carpet) laid outboth front and back and used the rear cargo floor one for the front and it worked.

i want to get a winch b/c now when i go i am very cautious and avoid the super soft stuff. I dont want to get an arb bumber b/c of the weight issues would love to add just a winch but i think to get a strong enough winch some thing has to be done upfront. here in the usa toyota does not offer a front winch package one thing i noticed is that those ladders also work as good shovels:clap:

lets straighten this out

so here in Oman, where desert - sandy dune kind of desert - is the norm i have learned many bits and pieces previously unknown to me through direct experience - firstly - while i am currently preping my fj45 troopie i am enduring a feat of patience being forced by predicament to drive a 98 cherokee - with aptly named 'super digger' tires....and after getting seriously effin stuck more times than i would ever care to admit - i have learned a few things from the yocals...firstly - and im talking in sand sand, not sand with rock or hard sand - but in sand sand....like you would imagine in a desert....anyway - before hitting it put your pressure down to no more than 20psi - then when you get stuck and desperate you can bring it down further - but anything lower than 10 and you really run the risk of having your bead bust off your rim further worsening your little predicament....so as soon as you start digging in with one wheel [as will happen], stop! - and tell yourself to write down: 'i need to invest in diff lockers for my stupid sand sinking-in car' ... now that thats done - get out - reduce your pressure - keep it in first [if you have an auto you're extra hooped] and keep the wheels going as long as you're moving a little - but if they are digging then you're there to stay - and if this has happened your silly little sand ladders are probably of very little use - and by this i am speaking only form personal experience as i come from the same mid set that when one gets stuck that they need to stick all kinds of random crap under the wheels - you should see my floor mats - looks like i have hosted formula-one races at my feet....where as in reality you need to increase your tires footprints and reduce the weight on them - and you need lockers as stock diffs are actually designed to get you more stuck once you start getting there...so - now you're wicked stuck - and therefore the only thing to due is to winch yourself out - oops - only you're in the desert with nothing to attach to - no friends - and as a matter of, no winch! - and no big gay pull-pall because you're too realistic to spend 500 bones on a fancy shovel...hmmmm...now what - good thing you brought your hi-lift jack with something to stick under it - now - jack your rig up in which ever corner its stuck - stick some new stuff under it - make sure none of the wheels are buried - and take off foo!

all there is to it.

ps - NO ONE here uses silly sand ladders - the only thing i would ever consider them for would be to protect my windows [but if you protect those windows - how do you protect the others?] or to use as portable benches and the such - unless they were strong enough to use for bridging - which the normal ones arent....

so - if you have sand ladders dont come to oman - they will laugh at you.

ps - NO ONE here uses silly sand ladders - the only thing i would ever consider them for would be to protect my windows [but if you protect those windows - how do you protect the others?] or to use as portable benches and the such - unless they were strong enough to use for bridging - which the normal ones arent....

so - if you have sand ladders dont come to oman - they will laugh at you.

Classic..

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about ;)

:beer:

It was my understanding that tall skinny tires were best in the desert.

check out ihana.com ... those guys used their waffle boards and sand ladders a LOT. When you need em you need em. I think it's true though that most people will never need them and should not bother carrying them around... they're a tool for those who are frequently on rough/loose terrain in the middle of nowhere with no help. Weekend wheelers really probably don't need to bother with them, as they're likely in a convoy and can go home at the end of the day.

Last edited:
this might be a stupid question, but i do not own a set of ladders and dont know any one who does. i also spend a lot of time in the desert and sand, but its mostly beach sand which changes consistency a lot. heres the question, once you get the ladders in place and you finally get rolling in the sand sand, how do you recover the ladders without stopping and getting stuck again? is it a two person job where one grabs the ladders and runs to jump in? i just have this picture in my mind of having to use them over and over again until firmer sand is reached. i dont know, like i said ive never used them or seen them in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom