Sand Ladders, its a good item to buy it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
hi to all, even if we never use it ,the sand ladders,but its a nice looking item for the roof rack,or its a waste of money :rolleyes: . The steel ones are used ,but the aluminum are brand new and more expensive:idea: what did you think.

OKoffroad.com 4x4 Recovery - Sand Ladders

hi to all, even if we never use it ,the sand ladders,but its a nice looking item for the roof rack,or its a waste of money :rolleyes: . The steel ones are used ,but the aluminum are brand new and more expensive:idea: what did you think.

OKoffroad.com 4x4 Recovery - Sand Ladders

I have a heap of sand driving experience after working as a mechanic for a 4x4 hire company for Fraser Island. I used to go over there every week to recover vehicles from there.

I have never used sand ladders but there has been times during really soft, dry conditions where they would've been handy. Most times though dropping the tyre pressures right down and being in the right gear at the right time is all you need to get through.

If you have a powerful lightweight rig with good sand tyres I'd say you wouldn't need them but if you have a heavyweight rig that is down on power and normal tyres I'd say get them if you want a bit of extra insurance.

Have you seen the MAX TRAX sand ladders? Bit expensive but work well.

https://www.maxtrax.com.au/

BTW Most of the pics on the site with white sand are taken on Fraser Is.

there are also these plastic drain covers that are used for this app

I was thinking of trying to make some sand ladders. Anyone know a good way to go about this? Ideally I'd like them to be strong enough for bridging...

If you are only going to encounter very thick, soft sand (without other vehicles around,) once in a Blue moon, don't waste your money. Just drop your tyres to about .8 bar and even .6 in an emergency but then avoid sharp turns and you should be fine...

If you are only going to encounter very thick, soft sand (without other vehicles around,) once in a Blue moon, don't waste your money. Just drop your tyres to about .8 bar and even .6 in an emergency but then avoid sharp turns and you should be fine...

x2. I fully agree. A little momentum and high RPM's is all you need.

If you don't know where you are going, it is worth walking and scouting the length of deep, soft sand. As well, scope any potential stopping points along the way.

As soon as you feel the cruiser not getting traction, STOP trying. It only makes it worse. You can high-center on sand quickly.

The sand ladders are only good to get you going/moving. Once you are moving, you will need to know where you can stop/slow down if necesarry.

Sand = air down..

You will be fine

I dunno not for everyone. I almost got stuck on a beach a few weeks back (yeah dumb I know... it looked like there were tire tracks down there...). When your truck is your home and the tide is coming in, you sure wish you had sand ladders right then!!

Anything that spreads out your weight across the low-traction surface will help.

I've seen local folks cut out the bottoms of plastic beer (or soda) crates. It isn't a large rectangle of plastic, but about 18" x 12". I watched an Imperial (beer) 2wd pickup do this one day, got right out of a stuck, no problem at all.

I would bet that if you connected two of them end-to-end, with some rope or something, that you could get even more of a running start.

Sometimes it takes surprisingly little get get moving

We have the ok offroad aluminum sand ladders. They're nice. Super light.. i would never consider the steel version. Too damn'd heavy.

Oh by the way, i'll admit it.... waste of money, never used them. Glad they're there. Maybe im just a good driver in the sand?

I've used an old alum extension ladder, taken apart and put on each side. tied a rope to the front of each ladder and the rear bumper. after you get going drag them along until you reach solid ground

I've used an old alum extension ladder, taken apart and put on each side. tied a rope to the front of each ladder and the rear bumper. after you get going drag them along until you reach solid ground

no kidding... that thing didn't fold like a taco when you drove over it...?

In a worst case scenario, you might need something, other than digging, to help you get out.

In the "tide coming in" scenario I mentioned above, we used beach logs. This didn't work very well, but it did work. The logs kept breaking, flying away, and lodging themselves against my suspension, making me wish I had sand ladders. If I come across some, or something similar I'll be buying some. Specifically I've read great first hand reviews of the waffles from people who've *REALLY* used them.

In the "tide coming in" scenario I mentioned above, we used beach logs. This didn't work very well, but it did work. The logs kept breaking, flying away, and lodging themselves against my suspension, making me wish I had sand ladders. If I come across some, or something similar I'll be buying some. Specifically I've read great first hand reviews of the waffles from people who've *REALLY* used them.

Were you aired down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom