Salome /Harcuvar/Harquahala mountains. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim S.

SILVER Star
Threads
Want to explore the above areas and do some dispersed camping. Tried searching for threads on the area but didn't have much success. I would welcome suggestions from anyone who has been out that way.

What are you wanting to see out that way? I've been to the observatory (linked above, thanks, Medtro) and done some camping on Harquahala road south of the freeway, which is a lot of open country. I think it's 583rd Avenue, technically - but it's been years since I was out there. Hopefully, I can provide some pointers, as it's remote and you won't find a lot of traffic unless you head up to the peak.

the road up Harquahala Peak is worth it for the views - done it once years ago in the Blazer, not difficult

there's a lot of flat and agricultural land in the area - the mountain ranges to the north are more scenic - I always wanted to check out Alamo Lake but have yet to go there

Thanks for the replies. We haven't spent much time in that part of the state. We might do Harquahala Peak and then head either towards Alamo Lake or go west to the Kofa Wildlife Refuge. It's a nice time of the year to enjoy the desert.

Thanks for the replies. We haven't spent much time in that part of the state. We might do Harquahala Peak and then head either towards Alamo Lake or go west to the Kofa Wildlife Refuge. It's a nice time of the year to enjoy the desert.
The area around Alamo I find sorta boring. Could be fun to drop by the Swansea Ghost town site, or to the McGuffy Cabin on the north side of the Bill Williams river. (It was only about 2.5 feet deep a few weeks ago to cross)
Or KOFA.
Kofa is great. I'd head that way. :)

The more I listen to you guys I'm thinking Kofa. I have read up on the area a bit. Any must see things?

Medtro, thanks for the link^^.

Many years ago I would explore a bunch of that country and Saddle Mountain area comes to mind. There is or was a trail around the Mountain, we found quite a bit of petroglyphs and also there were open mines in the area. This is SW of 411th ave and Salome Hwy. We also explored into the Belmont Mountains. With the CAP canal there are only a few crossings north from I 10 took 411th ave North to Camelback and west then North and located a bridge across that dumped us back in there. can spend days out there exploring.

The more I listen to you guys I'm thinking Kofa. I have read up on the area a bit. Any must see things?

More from our trip there last year. : soaztim: KOFA Wildlife Refuge, AZ

DSC00705.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom