Saginaw pump conversion - Parts and specs list! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and read many threads but never found any specifics on what pump to use, what belts, etc. So two afternoons, 4-5 trips to several different parts stores, and many beers later, here is what I came up with.

This is for doing a Saginaw power steering pump conversion in a completely desmogged FJ60. NOTE: specs on belts for a smogged truck will be different.

Parts:
  • 4+ Saginaw pump bracket from MAF (LINK)
  • Saginaw pump from a 1970 GM pickup (keyhole pulley mount type, with reservoir)
  • Wide belt pump pulley from MAF (LINK)
  • Toyota box to Saginaw pump (metric to standard) conversion hose from JTO (LINK)
  • One 11/16"x54" v belt
  • One 11/16"x51" v belt
  • Dexron ATF fluid - about a quart

I'm not going to go into specifics, but here is the basic procedure in case it's useful:
Prep: Mount the pulley to the pump and the pump to the bracket (it's easier to get at the bolts with it out of the car). It's also a lot easier to get at everything if you remove the big fresh air intake hose from the filter housing before getting started.
Step 1: Remove both outer belts (can leave A/C belt on if you have one).
Step 2: Remove the high pressure hose from the pump to the box. Place a pan and/or towels under the car as you'll obviously leak some fluid. Be very careful not to let gunk get in the box.
Step 3: Remove the idler pulley or cored air pump and entire bracket - you won't need it any more.
Step 4: Remove the entire steering pump bracket. Do not bother trying to remove the OE steering pump from the bracket - you won't be able to get the inside bolt all the way out as it binds against the manifold. At least mine did.
Step 5: You should now have a completely bare front, d/s of the engine. The 4+ bracket mounts to the front two head studs. These are torqued to about 85 lbs., so you'll need a breaker bar. Remove the studs (when engine is cold).
Step 6: Place the bracket with pump in the car and thread the head studs back in until finger tight - you'll need to mess with the alignment a bit. The pulley on the new pump needs to align with the inner pulleys on the crank and water pump.
Step 7: Once you've got it aligned, tighten down the head studs a bit so it doesn't move. place the longer (54") belt over the steering pump pulley, inner water pump pulley, and inner crank pulley. Spin everything to make sure it's still lined up properly. The belt should be perfectly centered - not riding up the edge of any of the pulleys.
Step 8: Install the new high pressure hose between the pump and steering box. You should be able to thread both ends in pretty easily with your fingers (you'll figure out which end is which, metric vs. standard). Tighten with wrench (obviously).
Step 9: Re-torque the head studs (85 lbs.) and tighten the belt via the new 4+ bracket, and cinch all bolts on the bracket down tight.
Step 10: Place the shorter belt over the alternator, outer water pump pulley and outer crank pulley. Tighten via the alternator. You should have both belts running the water pump.
Step 11: Fill saginaw pump to cold full line. Jack up the front of the truck and cycle the steering wheel from lock to lock 30-40 times, checking the steering fluid level (should not let it get below cold full). Put the cap on, start up the motor and do the same with it running (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it).
Step 12: Lower the car and clean up your crap - you're done.

This is an after-the-fact write up, so I apologize if I left anything out. I didn't think of doing this until I was done, which is also why I didn't take pictures.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
looks like a great list...
The conversion line for toyota to saginaw is a joke....
They are in deed the same fitting.... no need for the conversion as your toyota line will screw into saginaw. it'll save a few bucks.

I have had many a beer at "Sullys, Snow Goose Tavern" as well as the old "buckaroo"
I had a blast in seattle when I was there!!!
:beer:

[*]Toyota box to Saginaw pump (metric to standard) conversion hose from JTO (LINK)

When I put my Saginaw pump on, the stock hose screwed right on the back of the Saginaw pump. No converter / replacement hose necessary.

I had heard that, but my original hose was starting to crack so I decided to replace it. Technically the Saginaw pump is a standard size fitting, so it's off by a very slight amount, which could POSSIBLY lead to leakage in the future. Figured I'd just do it right. :)

The mid to late 80's GM trucks were metric from my understanding.

Do you knw if this conversion works on a non desmogged truck? I ask because i am having problems getting the new bracket to mount on the 2 head bolts because there is all the spaghetti hard lines in the way.
lines.jpg

Do you knw if this conversion works on a non desmogged truck? I ask because i am having problems getting the new bracket to mount on the 2 head bolts because there is all the spaghetti hard lines in the way.

On my rig I used the smog pump bracket to work off of. On my sons I used the stock p/s pump bracket to build off of. You have stock power steering right?

I have stock power steering but i bought this bracket to make life easier on converting to a saginaw pump. The OEM is leaking all over everything. I am going to desmog anyways which will eliminate the lines. Thanks for the reply. I guess as much as this mod is talked about not that many people have actually done it. And why Man-a-Fre doesn't say anything about this is another question, which i will be getting to the bottom of.

Check Freds40 Sag install. https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/221512-freds40-builds-60-a-22.html

It starts on post #429 and has a link to another mod. Invloves some scrounging but keeps the smog pump operational. I think i used the stock pully when I did mine.

Anyone having trouble with the belt sizes from the first post. The length, 54”, seems to be too long to take the slack out with the JTO bracket.

I’m assuming my Saginaw pulley is slightly smaller. Just planning on swapping the 54” for a 52”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom