Sag pitman arm rod end info request

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by scotia, Feb 17, 2009.

1. scotia

scotia

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey all

I wouldlike to replace the saginaw pitman arm tie rod end. Does anyone have a part number for one that can be purchased at a local parts house?

This will be for a stock steering rod on my 40 to the pitman arm. I did not want to wait around to oder one from the popular guys. No offense though as time is an issue. Thanks

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

These two separate statements in your question do not add up.

How do you have a stock steering rod on your 40 series connecting to the Saginaw pitman arm?

I am not aware of a metric tie rod end piece that threads into the original Land Cruiser drag link from the tie rod to the Saginaw pitman arm. Along with the thread issues of the stock steering rod when trying to use the correct piece for a Saginaw pitman arm, I am not aware of a stock steering rod that was on the 40 series that would be close to the proper length. Further, the taper of the Land Cruiser tie rod end does not get secure into the taper of the Saginaw pitman arm.

:meh:

3. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All:

I would suggest pulling the existing TRE connected to the Saginaw pitman arm and take it into a good auto parts store and start trying to find a match.

Start trying the TRE end for a GM one-ton pick-up, or a Jeep J20 pick-up, etc.

Good luck!

Alan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. K2KK

K2KK

I had that same set up. My po set it up and I had problems with the whole set up staying tight. I tried pressing bushings in and when that didn't work I made some shims and added them to no avail. Same with the arm on the ps side. After every run it was loose. I ended up re tapering all my arms with heavier ends and rods.

5. fieldsken1

fieldsken1

Media:
    Albums:
    how about a heim joint

6. scotia

scotia

Media:
    Albums:
    As it turns out, it is a downey drag link. So with that said....any local parts house part numbers for a new rod end? Maybe a year make and model that will work?

7. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

1979 CJ-7 with power steering...

8. shelfboy1

shelfboy1 SILVER Star

back in the 70s we used a 70 olds cutlass pitman arm and it worked fine on a stock 40.i believe this was the recomended arm in the manafree catalog .downey used a tie rod threaded metric on 1 end and american thread on the other.either way both kits bolted up good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.