Safely adding 3 or 4 point seat belts to a FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been putting off shoulder belts for years but my kids have grown up enough that I have them cruise around town with me in the passenger seat. It is high time I up the safety factor from the 1976 lap belts. I am leaning towards adding the "Humvee" surplus belts commonly found on the interweb. I have also considered a 4 point harness but for daily driving duty it seems like a little overkill and a bit of a hassle.

I picked up a roll bar clamp from a late model 40 with the welded captive nut for the upper bolt. I imagine the other two points should be to the tub not the seat itself?

I searched and didn't see much in the way of a "how to" add them... did I miss a thread?

Any lessons learned from other 'mudders before diving in? This isn't something I want to screw up. Is there a better option than the Humvee option? Do I want front or rear seat belts? I imagine I want plenty of length.

I will be adding a full cage in the next year or two and may consider a roll bar mount then, but I would like to get them installed asap into a mostly stock 40.

Looking at this kit...
s-l1600.jpg

I once had 4 point lap/shoulder belts in my Landcruiser, I found that I could not lean forward to shift gears/transfer-case (which happens all day long when wheeling) with the shoulder belts attached, sooooo aborted the gal dern things.

I just installed the Humvee belts in mine. They're just ok. Overally, way better than the stock lap belts, but I still have some fab work to do to get them really working right. I'll post pics later of where I mounted things if you want them. I'm not sure if anything else is significantly better, and the price was right, so I'd probably do them again, but...

Main gripes:
  • Reciever piece is too short to mount to floor, but too long to mount to seat frame.
  • Belt retractors suck. Get used to seat belt all over the floor.

I just installed the Humvee belts in mine. They're just ok. Overally, way better than the stock lap belts, but I still have some fab work to do to get them really working right. I'll post pics later of where I mounted things if you want them. I'm not sure if anything else is significantly better, and the price was right, so I'd probably do them again, but...

Main gripes:
  • Reciever piece is too short to mount to floor, but too long to mount to seat frame.
  • Belt retractors suck. Get used to seat belt all over the floor.

This is helpful, I hear they're sensitive to being 100% at a 90* angle? Was that your experience?

I'd love to see your pics if you have the time, thank you.

D28B8687-7A24-4DDC-A206-247A0D724C02.jpeg

Here is the bracket I made for the driver side. Just angle iron cut with a grinder. I tied into the OEM roll bar mount on the bottom and the captive nut in the tub rail. Rock solid and just about perfect angle for the retractor.

The issue is mostly with the top. I bolted the top mount to the roll bar, as my hard top doesn’t have the mounting spot on the B-pillar. Even if it did, it sucks to have to remove the seatbelt to take the top off. As it is, it sits at a weird angle and doesn’t let the belt slide freely enough to retract easily.
C7C8D813-5011-4FD4-B7E5-5CEA6D7FE763.jpeg

I mounted the DS receiver on the floor using the seat mount bolt. It has to point to the rear, so I zip-tied it to the seat to keep it where I want it. Not ideal or permanent, but ok for now.
010D4F06-E747-488A-822D-46460FC2797E.jpeg

For the PS, I mounted it to the seat. Not happy with this one either, but you can see how there really isn’t enough length to reach many other places.
5F0CEFD2-A554-4AFB-9072-E3893222DA04.jpeg

F8DD47A0-6B47-4426-B732-F1F9D5E6F43A.jpeg

7FF807C8-A9CD-4584-939E-C9DC71D03968.jpeg

No problem. I think the bolts for the rear heater could be a good spot for the receiver mounts, but you'd need to add some reinforcement under the tub. I'm not too happy with any of the mounts being attached to the seat frames, as the whole frame would very likely pull free from the tub in a bad wreck. The seat frame reinforcement under the tub is minimal and not confidence inspiring. Mouting things independently from the seat frame would be ideal, but an engineering challenge to overcome. And, maybe not worth the effort. As has been brought up on similar 'MUD threads before, we aren't really making the FJ40 a safe vehicle to drive, just a little safer to drive. I'm hoping I can time my bad accident for a day when I'm in the 100.

I have humvee belts also and yes the retractors suck but you can adjust them. I have got around to doing it in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom