S.O.S: Anyone wanna help me finish rebuild my 2f? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had this same issue when trying to get my lc home. I looked at the uhaul trailers. I’m not sure what a lc weighs but I think it is more than the capacity. Others I’m sure will know more on weight and towing than myself

I had this same issue when trying to get my lc home. I looked at the uhaul trailers. I’m not sure what a lc weighs but I think it is more than the capacity. Others I’m sure will know more on weight and towing than myself
what did you end up doing

Hey guys,
I know I know, it’s been 3 months and I haven’t posted an update. I wish I was the a****** here but machine shop is JUST NOW about to send me the quote over for what they want to do on the engine.

I will post the quote update on here, and we can all look through it together. I’m debating if the costs are high to go with cheaper pistons ETC.

The reason I’m posting is because the machine shop and mechanic want me to put a sniper kit. They are highly insisting on it.

My issue is, they want me to put money down now and well, I can barely pay for the rebuild (3800 approx) so I’m likely going to have them out the malfunctioning carb back on. I want to do the EFI myself too, later on.
——-
In other news, In my time of pondering and hitting my head against a wall at my parents house waiting for my only car to be done, I’ve come upon the idea that I should just become a mechanic.

If there’s this much ****ery in the industry, people can’t find parts, there’s a shortage of mechanics etc there must be an opportunity here etc.

I have an interview Friday to become an apprentice tech/front desk person at a mechanic shop here in Idaho hurting for someone. I liked the mechanic and am talking to the owner Friday.

I’ll try to work on the truck after work etc. I have the idea of having the mechic in SoCal literally just install the rebuilt engine, bolt everything on running or not, and I’ll just throw it on a uhaul or have it shipped home so I can tinker on it with this other mechanic (he knows cruisers) I don’t want to keep paying someone to do it.

I guess waiting 6 months and having my d*** in my hand gave me some important time for reflection.
I’m planning on staying at this mechanic shop anywhere from 3 months to a year so I can move up the ladder in the industry and from there using this experience to work at a place that makes cruiser parts like some of the vendors on here and doing some business side stuff for them and use my business degree then. I feel like I don’t know what I’m talking about because I haven’t worked on cars before so that’s why I figure working at this shop is a good Segway. I have ideas for different parts/Lc business ideas from an academic perspective but I really don’t know what I’m talking about is what I realized. My solution to learn what I’m talking about is to become a mechanic for awhile and learn how cars work. This is my thinking as a naive 25 y/o, and I wanted to run it by you guys and hear informed thoughts on it, if I’m going down a dead end road or perhaps paving a new one I guess we’ll find out.

Curious if you guys have any advice on any of these topics -sniper kit - shipping car without being tuned - places to work to get experience etc.

Pretty excited for what’s ahead, it’s cool that I’ve come up with a larger goal out of all of this, and im hoping my current actions might teach me skills that can feed into a business career in cruisers. I’m also debating looking for jobs at cruiser devoted shops or machine shops, but I’m out of time and money and seems like I have to be local for a while so I can use the family car. If you know a guy in the western US tho hit me up.

Best
Beehanger

My vote: Bail on a Sniper fuel injection system. Your cruiser is a classic- not a modern Frankenstein. The FJ60 runs GREAT on a clean carburetor and refurbished cylinder head.
Ask @cps432 how enthusiastic he is right about now with his Sniper installation.

While I commend you on your enthusiasm to become more mechanically saavy, 99.8% of us here had ZERO car mechanical experience before diving into fixing up our cruisers.
My guess is what you’re lacking is confidence that you’ll be able to figure stuff out, not necessarily mechanical ability. (How hard is it to pull a wrench?)

I’ll use myself as an example (for inspiration).

I purchased my FJ60 when I was 28 years old. About your age. I’m an old man now.
I had zero experience working on cars except for changing oil in my previous Toyota pickup.

When I test drove my cruiser which was 2 years old, everything seemed great - so I decided to buy it.
The owner dropped off the vehicle a couple days later and I gave him $13,000 cash. Boy was I excited.

Not long afterwards, I discovered that cylinder 4 had zero compression. The valve was burned. I was crushed. Felt like I totally got scammed & ripped off. A fool.

I went to the Toyota dealership and talked to the parts guy and told him my story and my experience.
And you know what he said?

“Engine needs the head rebuilt… and you can do it. LandCruisers are easy.”
I never forgot that and neither should you. So I got myself all the Toyota manuals (mandatory) and slowly started unbolting and labeling everything- until the head eventually came off.
I then took it to a machine shop for them to fix the valves and picked it up, all fixed, a few days later.
Then it was just a matter of bolting stuff back on in the reverse order it came off - and voila! My engine was fixed! And I did it all by myself.

I’m not a genius or anything, definitely wasn’t a straight A student, but I did have a knack for building toy models when I was a little boy.

If you enjoyed making toy models as a kid, you’re more than qualified to work on your land cruiser, because all it really is is just a big toy.

PS installating a rebuilt engine is super straightforward. Yes its very heavy but you’re just lifting it with a rental engine hoist and lowering it into the engine bay then bolting it in. Nothing to it except for the heavy weight to be careful about.

Unless you are very confident in your understanding of combustion engines and you have a fresh 2F that is in great shape I would not recommend the Sniper install. It’s fun and it gives a bit more pep to the engine, but it is not more fuel efficient and certainly doesn’t give more power. DONOT throw a sniper on a worn out engine. You will freakin regret it.

I'm a bit like OSS. I did take auto shop in high school (class of 1977!) and studied (not mechanical) engineering in college. everything else I've learned and think I know about car maintenace I've picked up myself by reading manuals, talking to friends, etc. In all those years, I can probably count on my two hands the number of times I have had to take a vehicle to a mechanic for a repair. But:

• I have never only had access to just one car. The more cars than drivers rule means I have the luxury to fix something and still have a means of transportation.
  • I drive my cars like I want them to last my lifetime.
  • I have spent many years buying many tools.
  • I always read the factory manual. These days I also watch a lot of youtube videos, but I always read the factory manual.
the FJ60 is easy to understand, easy to troubleshoot and easy to work on. It is a great platform to learn on. I do admire your grit. I think a lot of people would have given up long before now. For me, one barrier to your future success may be that your land cruiser is your only vehicle. I would think you need to work towards getting a daily driver so working on your land cruiser will be less stressful. Even if that means getting a second land cruiser, or Datsun 510, or other vehicle that has similar complexity to your land cruier and is inexpensive enough that you can afford to have it as a second car.

Good Luck!

I would go get your car, engine, and all the parts from where they are and bring them to where you live and figure out a solution close to where you are residing.
No way would I want that amount of work done on my car by a shop that is 1500 miles away from where I live if I didn't absolutely have to.

See

In other news, In my time of pondering and hitting my head against a wall at my parents house waiting for my only car to be done, I’ve come upon the idea that I should just become a mechanic.

If there’s this much f***ery in the industry, people can’t find parts, there’s a shortage of mechanics etc there must be an opportunity here etc.

When I was 24 I ditched a budding career in IT go through a mechanical trade school. The lessons I learned, trade schools are a scam. I learned exactly 1 thing for my ~$20k, read the service manual. Seriously, the whole experience was just repeating the same thing over and over again. Once "in the field", I learned that 99% have low, or no, ethics when doing work. I honestly blame the system of having to beat book rate to make a fair income, not the mechanics... but it doesn't change the fact that it's a constant uphill struggle to have a good reputation. ONLY independents (like Trail Tailor, Valley, etc...) ever get a good reputation, and it's almost always because it's 1 person who won't settle for less than the best. And that's the last thing I learned, you have to Really love it to be willing to put in the time it takes. That's a double edged sword though, because you can completely destroy your passion... I know I did. Went from being a avid motorcyclist (went 8 years without a car, 2 wheels only ~ road raced for 5 years, had a half dozen bikes and Loved the community), to now when I haven't even owned a motorcycle in over a decade. FWIW, I went back to IT... where I had no formal education, no certificates, just hands-on education and my last job was as the head of the technology department (now I "make" more money by staying home and doing the things we used to pay others to do).

That said, I think your idea for the next year sounds great. Going your own way with the manuals or working as the shop whipping boy are probably the one 2 good ways in, where you get the Practical knowledge needed, not the theory that has little to do with anything. As OSS said, just diving in works too... I mean, it's broke already, not like you'll make it MORE broken (lol, usually, need a smidge of sense to not do things like hitting sensitive stuff with sledgehammers), might as well try to sort it yourself. Having a mentor you can bounce questions off ought to give you all the confidence needed... and that's really the most important aspect to being a mechanic. Confidence to try.

But I agree, there's opportunity. There are threads on here about people waiting MONTHS to have someone change the oil, at prices I couldn't stomach no matter how much income I had.

When I was 24 I ditched a budding career in IT go through a mechanical trade school. The lessons I learned, trade schools are a scam. I learned exactly 1 thing for my ~$20k, read the service manual. Seriously, the whole experience was just repeating the same thing over and over again. Once "in the field", I learned that 99% have low, or no, ethics when doing work. I honestly blame the system of having to beat book rate to make a fair income, not the mechanics... but it doesn't change the fact that it's a constant uphill struggle to have a good reputation. ONLY independents (like Trail Tailor, Valley, etc...) ever get a good reputation, and it's almost always because it's 1 person who won't settle for less than the best. And that's the last thing I learned, you have to Really love it to be willing to put in the time it takes. That's a double edged sword though, because you can completely destroy your passion... I know I did. Went from being a avid motorcyclist (went 8 years without a car, 2 wheels only ~ road raced for 5 years, had a half dozen bikes and Loved the community), to now when I haven't even owned a motorcycle in over a decade. FWIW, I went back to IT... where I had no formal education, no certificates, just hands-on education and my last job was as the head of the technology department (now I "make" more money by staying home and doing the things we used to pay others to do).

That said, I think your idea for the next year sounds great. Going your own way with the manuals or working as the shop whipping boy are probably the one 2 good ways in, where you get the Practical knowledge needed, not the theory that has little to do with anything. As OSS said, just diving in works too... I mean, it's broke already, not like you'll make it MORE broken (lol, usually, need a smidge of sense to not do things like hitting sensitive stuff with sledgehammers), might as well try to sort it yourself. Having a mentor you can bounce questions off ought to give you all the confidence needed... and that's really the most important aspect to being a mechanic. Confidence to try.

But I agree, there's opportunity. There are threads on here about people waiting MONTHS to have someone change the oil, at prices I couldn't stomach no matter how much income I had.
I went to school for fine woodworking and luthiery. I loved and lived guitars with a passion. I’ve played for 20 years and went $20k into debt to learn how to make them. I loved school and it taught me so much in a short amount of time.

That being said, I finally, after ten years of working in kitchens with my education, finally landed a job working for the most prestigious name in the guitar manufacturing industry and it is killing my passion. I haven’t played a single note in almost a month and I work along side people who’s last job was rolling burritos at Taco Bell.

The guys who work in the custom shop and make $25,000 guitars don’t have much passion for it either and it isn’t very exciting to talk to them about what they do. Doing your passion for a living can be a bad idea. Find something you’re good at and then become passionate about doing it. I’m kinda stuck here for a while until I can figure out how to do my own thing and pay the bills.

The last two posts are stunning in a 'real world' sense. "do what you love and everything is rosy" Well, that is obviously a two-edged sword.

Trade school was a scam - yikes. College degrees 'are worthless' (other threads)-yikes.

Modern culture has certainly played a part in this shift; over bearing expectations and demands for instant gratification and a weird mentality that every effort/comment/accomplishment needs to be met with a negative/judgmental/minimizing response.

It is a cultural war of the minds and we are armed to the teeth. Labyrinthine sleight of hand killing the passion of a workforce (see twittler). Tangible goods and services sold at the lowest price the market can bear chews up workers and spits them out. Max profit above all else. . .

No wonder there is the phenomenon of quiet quitting or the mass resignation when ceos of banks, insurance cos, healthcare corps, energy giants et cetera are gaining huge salaries and bonuses. Record breaking profits (yay XOM :bang: ) and high fuel prices and inflation globally.
:frown:

Good news and bad news guys.
Good news is interviews are going well and one of the shops is a total dream job sistuation where I'd be working with my degree doing business development type stuff for them (they are JDM import for mitsubishi vans), and they'd let me help the head mechanic out 2 hours a day and learn as a favor. It's a startup and my brain loves the creative realm.

The bad news is I just got a very high quote from the mechanic, and it looks like I might just pull the whole plug on the thing and have the cruiser shipped up to Idaho, or have my parents who are already coming back up from cali uhaul it back behind our family truck. Who knows maybe ill fly down if I have to at a later date, or in the next few days before they drive back up and help out. I don't like making my problems other people's problems and shipping the car with all the parts will be a total s*** show but perhaps a necessary s*** show.

Also considering contatcting a mudder to ship it and help out with parts collection, but when I tried that 3 months ago he wanted $2700 to ship it...

What all you guys were saying is very prescient for what's actually happening with me.
Unfortunately they've already started assembling the engine according to the mechanic.

Have a gander if you so dare at the invoices below that I won't dare pay, I told the guy not to go above $3800 or i can't afford it and it seems that's happening anyway.
I'm also considering telling the machine shop to go **** themselves and just pick up the machined parts as well. I guess the silver lining would be I would be doing my own work on the car, and am at home still so would have access to said second car.

I'm going to be optimistic about the s*** show and trust in the process. Seems like everything is coming to a head at once and I'm trusting that that is for a reason. I'll know a lot more in a couple days.
Defintely don't want me to have to leave the first week of work for this s*** show either unless they're really cool about remote work or me starting later or something. At the end of the day its just money, and I feel im uncovering more opportunities in the induustry by the second the worse and worse my situation gets almost symbolically. The struggle journey is the only one worth taking.

Best,
Beehanger

IMG_6641.jpg

imagessss.jpg

$7k is about on par
For other full on rebuilds of a 2F unfortunately. As in everything done. You really get a feel for why when faced with the decision a lot of people just go to a v8 swap

$7k is about on par
For other full on rebuilds of a 2F unfortunately. As in everything done. You really get a feel for why when faced with the decision a lot of people just go to a v8 swap
It’s also why I think that a 2007 or newer GM 4200 would make a great swapper for the 60. It’s like a low cost 1FZFE. In stock form they are a decent power and torque for a 60. But they can be turbocharged too for some big gains.

Good news and bad news guys.
Good news is interviews are going well and one of the shops is a total dream job sistuation where I'd be working with my degree doing business development type stuff for them (they are JDM import for mitsubishi vans), and they'd let me help the head mechanic out 2 hours a day and learn as a favor. It's a startup and my brain loves the creative realm.

The bad news is I just got a very high quote from the mechanic, and it looks like I might just pull the whole plug on the thing and have the cruiser shipped up to Idaho, or have my parents who are already coming back up from cali uhaul it back behind our family truck. Who knows maybe ill fly down if I have to at a later date, or in the next few days before they drive back up and help out. I don't like making my problems other people's problems and shipping the car with all the parts will be a total s*** show but perhaps a necessary s*** show.

Also considering contatcting a mudder to ship it and help out with parts collection, but when I tried that 3 months ago he wanted $2700 to ship it...

What all you guys were saying is very prescient for what's actually happening with me.
Unfortunately they've already started assembling the engine according to the mechanic.

Have a gander if you so dare at the invoices below that I won't dare pay, I told the guy not to go above $3800 or i can't afford it and it seems that's happening anyway.
I'm also considering telling the machine shop to go f*** themselves and just pick up the machined parts as well. I guess the silver lining would be I would be doing my own work on the car, and am at home still so would have access to said second car.

I'm going to be optimistic about the s*** show and trust in the process. Seems like everything is coming to a head at once and I'm trusting that that is for a reason. I'll know a lot more in a couple days.
Defintely don't want me to have to leave the first week of work for this s*** show either unless they're really cool about remote work or me starting later or something. At the end of the day its just money, and I feel im uncovering more opportunities in the induustry by the second the worse and worse my situation gets almost symbolically. The struggle journey is the only one worth taking.

Best,
Beehanger

View attachment 3184154

View attachment 3184160
Landed the job at the dream job shop! 🥳🥳🥳Starting out part time per their wishes for now, very excited. Wrenching a 1-2 hours a day for free training as a bonus for my business side stuff I’ll be doing. For this victory alone I’m glad I stuck with the process, it’s been Brutal being semi unemployment the last few months searching for the right opportunity.

Now getting down to brass tax, I have to come to terms with the fact that I might as well have the machine shop finish the engine. They’re partway thru and having someone liable if anything went wrong would be nice. There will be other engines to rebuild.
I do want to do the work on the truck though, and would probably have the help needed to do so. I dreaded the idea of having a project right but now might be a great time for one, working in the shop after hours, effectively being locked in the toy shop at night.

I bet with manuals and some supervision or tips from the mechanics there I can figure it out over time.

It will probably save me some money and be a great experience to learn.

So if anyone recommends a way to ship my cruiser let me know!

Going to repost last two posts on my other thread as well and write a request in mudship

Beehanger

Congrats on the gig.

But paying nearly $8k for a 2f engine is very far beyond my comprehension.
Not going to pay it! $3400 for the engine rebuild, going to pay for the original labor to pull the engine but will do the rest myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom