Rusty Wagon Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:D I try to keep a sharp eye on what Kevin makes for new products. I think the production seat box will look awesome in Moonshine!!

No doubt about it at all. ;)

i want to go ahead and put in a order for the Under-the-seat awesome storage compartment

Hello Kevin,
Enjoyed meeting you and seeing your rig at OEX.
I like the group pic: Hope to be getting my 60 back from the shop soon so I can start getting some WAGONGEAR for it.
You bet David, nice meeting you as well. It was cool to talk to a few 60 folks in person, not that many of us anymore it seems.

Isn't one of those diesel swapped ladies owned (can't find the thread right now)?
Not sure how to translate your question here? The two 60s on the right have diesels, mine with the HZ and Roseann's with the international. Mekaela on the right has the trusty 2F in her 60. The two 60s on the left are both owned by ladies, so I am the odd man out in that pic.

i want to go ahead and put in a order for the Under-the-seat awesome storage compartment
Wrong thread! :D
https://forum.ih8mud.com/wagongear/595676-new-bolt-version-seat-box-2.html#post7654760

IMG_8134.jpg

".... It was cool to talk to a few 60 folks in person, not that many of us anymore it seems."

Kevin -
What a handsome crew! Now I have even MORE regrets about not making OEX. Next year for sure. :steer:

So are we a dying breed or just ahead of the trend?:deadhorse:

PS Sorry to hear about the engine...ya gotta sell me more parts!

Hi Kevin,
I haven't been in the online ether much lately and was happy to see your reno when I checked back in. Your level of retentiveness impresses as usual! The new body is awesome and I am envious of the color. My door seals are still great, they really help in the awful Bay Area wind, thanks again. Been getting my truck together with stuff from around the shop these last few weekends too (but I am working from the 'good enough' benchmark). May be traveling through Oregon late July for a wedding. If I do I'll drop you a line to see if we have time to meet in person. Best on the newish location and the WG biz, hope that the Expo causes orders to tick up substantially. Aces,
Jeff

".... It was cool to talk to a few 60 folks in person, not that many of us anymore it seems."

Kevin -
What a handsome crew! Now I have even MORE regrets about not making OEX. Next year for sure. :steer:

So are we a dying breed or just ahead of the trend?:deadhorse:

PS Sorry to hear about the engine...ya gotta sell me more parts!
I think it just takes a certain kind of person to stick with these "old" trucks. Kind of an obstinate, stubborn, "real-man" type (as is perfectly evidenced by the photo above, couple of tough-cookies there for sure). :cool:

Hi Kevin,
I haven't been in the online ether much lately and was happy to see your reno when I checked back in. Your level of retentiveness impresses as usual! The new body is awesome and I am envious of the color. My door seals are still great, they really help in the awful Bay Area wind, thanks again. Been getting my truck together with stuff from around the shop these last few weekends too (but I am working from the 'good enough' benchmark). May be traveling through Oregon late July for a wedding. If I do I'll drop you a line to see if we have time to meet in person. Best on the newish location and the WG biz, hope that the Expo causes orders to tick up substantially. Aces,
Jeff
Hey Jeff, I'm right off I5, stop on by if you make it up this way. Might be out cruising around at the end of July though, my folks are supposed to come out and we want to show them around OR a bit.

:cheers:
KR

You've clearly been talking to my wife...

I think it just takes a certain kind of person to stick with these "old" trucks. Kind of an obstinate, stubborn, "real-man" type (as is perfectly evidenced by the photo above, couple of tough-cookies there for sure). :cool:

Strong wimmin intimidate me, but that's often a good thing.

Lois says I am stubborn, when I am actually just dense.:bang:

PS I am signed up (and paid up) for OEX 2013 and Georg says he will let me take the 62 to Mormon Lake if I promise to bring it back :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

is your 60 turbo if so i'd have a look for oil in the intake pipe just had to fit a new turbo to my mums 1HD 80 it was doing the same thing smoke just off idle
how much to send a set of those lift up window down to aus

Yup, turbo. I don't get any more oil vapor in the pre-turbo intake (blow-by) than I have for the past 7 years but I do feel like there is a bit more residue in the post turbo intake than there was before.
I'm actually hoping that it's just the turbo leaking somehow, been saving up some pennies for a diesel compression tester so I can check the cylinders though.

Kevin,
I'll let you know if we will be up there in July, maybe we'll catch you in. It all depends on my work schedule as I'll be traveling home for the first two weeks of the month. Unfortunately I have to work sometime.... Best,
Jeff

So finally have another day to work on the cruiser, addressing the oil burning with a turbo rebuild.

A few weeks ago my friend Ken lent me a compression tester to get that out of the way, luckily the compression was still good, #1 was a bit low as far as compared to the highest pressure, but it was still at 485, compared to the minimum allowed spec of 384. The other cylinders ranged up to 560, everything was quite healthy.

While at it, I noticed that the turbo was starting to give me some visual signs of badness:

IMG_8556.jpg

So, ordered the rebuild parts and sat on them for awhile.
Today rolled around, got to work, started with draining the coolant and I remembered that I never posted a pic of this little mod:

IMG_8748.jpg

It's just an extension tube from the drain port on the rad with a plug in the end.
Drains right into a bucket without a drop spilled. :p

IMG_8749.jpg

On to the turbo:

IMG_8755.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

IMG_8759.jpg

Here is the turbo before rebuild, disturbing bit of wobble:

And after the rebuild, really disturbing bit of wobble:

I just posted up a thread in the diesel section for some advice on the condition:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/605157-advice-condition-turbo-thanks.html

Not sure wether to re-install or not. :bang:

Last edited:
Looks like you already got a reply over in the diesel section!

Thanks for the pictures. Hope your oil issue is solved soon.

Nice little mod on the radiator drain. Now you can change your coolant every day with ease! haha

Looks like you already got a reply over in the diesel section!
Nice little mod on the radiator drain. Now you can change your coolant every day with ease! haha
Yup, we will see what comes of that, could be all set now (fingers crossed) but the numbers are not anywhere near what the book has for spec.

As for the drain mod, that's the kind of thing you think about when doing it; "when am I ever going to use this?" But then when it's there the next time you need to drain the coolant, it's soooo nice. :p

Are you running Toyota pink coolant in your truck?
Yup. They like to call it "red" but pink is a better description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom