Rusted out rear quarter fix - pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

72Cruiser

I founds one of the sets I made. I'll be happy to sell it to you. I just wanna make sure you understand that the gather joints on the lip will have to be welded and ground down once the panels are welded on the cruiser.

Here is a pic to show you what I'm talking about.

Let me know

krushr

When you welded your patch panels did you cut out the exact piece out and then butt new to old or did you put a backer in? I have seen body shops have a tool to bend an off-set to go behind the metal in flat areas then the surfaces are flush, weld and fill, must be sealed too. Also, seeing as the rear channel used to attach behind your repair as part of the support structure did you just omit that or ?

I basically just butted new to old. the crimping type tool you mention would have been cool - I've never seen one, but it sounds handy.

the rear channel (sill and posts) were replaced with new metal - is this what you meant?

krushr

Yup, that is what i meant. As for the crimptool I am curious as to what the treatment is on the exposed side, welded or just sealed and bondoed.

Kief

it was welded, ground down, filled and sanded. In the first pic that is posted, I actually got a picture of the new metal post piece - its in my hand. You can also see the new rear channel that was welded in - I made it in a horseshoe pattern to give added stability, so the new quarter had good metal all around to attach to.

krushr

hey heepkrusher,

the more i think about it, the less i would like to get your work, and then cut it up, like i would have to do.

sooo, thanks for being willing to sell your stuff (it looks awesome. really.) but i think that i'll pass on this.

somebody else, pick these up.

thanks again,
malphrus

[quote author=72cruiser link=board=1;threadid=11783;start=msg109561#msg109561 date=1077640818]
hey heepkrusher,

the more i think about it, the less i would like to get your work, and then cut it up, like i would have to do.

sooo, thanks for being willing to sell your stuff (it looks awesome. really.) but i think that i'll pass on this.

somebody else, pick these up.

thanks again,
malphrus
[/quote]

Butt fitting panels is a lot more time, in the end its the only way to do metal replacement. Every time you lap joint, you cause a void for moisture.

The heavey gauge Canadian 40 panels are designed to but together including the inner wheel wells eliminating the crappy overlap.

Good work.

Rob

72cruiser

No problem, sorry we couldn't hook up. So far I have found one pair, so they are still up for grabs if anyone wants them.

Radd I agree on the butt joints - definitely the best way to do it.

:cheers:
Krushr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom