Rusted out rear quarter fix - pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my first attempt at posting a pic - this was what we did to fix the rusty rear on one of the 40s. this is before - pretty typical rust spot from what I have seen

Krushr

here's what it looked like mocked up - man it was a perfect fit - I was amazed

How did you make the curve in the replacement sheetmetal? My bro's rig has the exact same problem. BTW, nice job
Thanks,
Brian

That looks perfect. You should be very proud. Did you extend the bumper too to remount the tail light? How many years experience welding do you have. Thanks for making me extremly jealous.

thanks Brian

just bend the sheetmetal (it is very pliable) using the rear qtr of the cruiser as a template - just clamp on the edge closest to the rear door and bend it. Once it starts to form up, just put it in a vise and carefully manipulate it to get the correct curve. It was just a matter of trial and error: bend a little, check for fit, make adjustments......check for fit, bend a little, make adjustments, etc.

Sorry for the non-scientific answer, but it was a non-scientific process.

I made some extras once I got going to use up the sheetmetal. IF I can find them tonite I'll post some pics - If you're in need of some let me know and I'll make you a deal on a set.

Krushr

cruiserwanted - nope I didn't do any lengthening to the bumper, just painted it - those are OEM lights on a 73 - I think there should be a reflector on the bumper itself but I doubt that will ever happen

my crew chief is the master welder, I just melt stuff together in places noone will see

krushr

How did you mkae the rolled liP?
or did you just keep the original rolled lip?

Looks good!

klunky

leave enough at the bottom of the piece to form a lip
hammer that bottom couple of inches over a small diameter metal pipe to form the break
where there is a curve, you cut the metal lip out in very small triangles and essentially fold it over - kind of like reupholstering furniture - gather the metal - alll of these gather joints will have to be welded and ground down to a finished state

be sure to leave enough metal to bend into a lip - extra isn't bad, just use a metal cutting cookie to trim it to size

krushr

Looks good...

:beer:

Man.....that's some NICE work! I'm going to have to do the same thing as soon as I get to that point of my project. Thanks for the pics and the description.

BTW: How much do you want for another set? :D

thanks guys - glad you like them :beer:

I think it would be worth my time to make them for 75 bucks per pair. I'd like to do it for 50 per pair, but I don't think thats enough. Then again I don't want to seem as though I'm ripping people off :(. What do you guys think?

They would need to be shipped from the Columbus Ohio area also

krushr

thats an idea - maybe if I sell 50 sets I can finish the Richard Petty Cruiser :D

hey heepkrushr,

can you send me some of them bad boys? what's your address?

when can you have some ready? also, how far to the inside do they extend? like all the way to the sill or not?

thanks man,
jonathan
jmalphr@clemson.edu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom