RUST REPAIR Question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a rust issue on my FJ62. I am not worried about looks but I would like to pervent it from getting any worse. I had an idea of cutting it out then welding some sheet metal in it's place. Does anyone have any pictures, ideas and/or suggestions? Here a picture of my drive side rear fender. :confused:
DSCN0500.JPG

I used fiberglass resin and bondo to smooth mine out and then put fender flares on. You can get brand new panels at www.coolcruisers.com and attach them. You can also pop rivet new sheet metal on but some of the bending might be tricky so you might just attach sheet metal (without the bend towards the interior of the truck) and fill in the rest. If you were restoring to near perfect condition I would go with the panels sold with cool cruisers. I haven't seen a review of them to really know how well they fit.

Thats what I was thinking about doing, just putting straight sheet metal on it. Thanks for the advice...

YOu could also use the "floor pan" kit from POR-15 to treat the rust inside and out then span the gap with fiberglass "paper' and POR-15 Resto-grip (a resin type material). Worked for my tailgate. Saves lots of time and fab work.

Welding in sheet metal in two seperate pieces won't be too hard. The lower piece will be really easy but the upper might be a little fun getting the correct fit. If you do weld in new, be sure the surrounding metal isn't rusted on the backside. If it is, the welder will just blow through. Oh yeah, pattern the new pieces before you cut out the old. trust me.. GOOD LUCK!

do this ;)
rearwheelwellsmall.JPG

Mace -
What's going on with the rear shackles? Are the springs just too long?

temp fix to get the waggon home.

The rear is SO right now. it will be SU when I am done with proper shackles.

Batman,

I'm in the same boat with my recently acquired 60 project...replacement panels from coolcruisers are too pricey for me (did I say I bought this truck for cheap?) and I don't have faith in the longevity of body filler. I'm gonna make sheet metal replacements myself (yeah, XJnation, measure twice, cut once!) and weld them. Also, I plan on cutting the lower portion of the quarter like theferg did on his "blue box", and extending some quarter protection off the rear bumper.
Pass Rear Qtr Rust.jpg

SAS, keep me posted on how thing go. I would like to see your progress. In my case I have to have all the tools first. And I need to think about how I would like to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom