Rust prevention options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this, but I couldn't find a fitting category.

I have a 100 series land cruiser with minimal surface from a salt free city. However, I plan to do a lot of driving in snowy areas, and I know I'm gonna expedite the rust.

I'm looking to do 2 things:

1. Find the best option for my situation. I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is a restoration service or something else. This is entirely for preventive measure, although it'd be nice to take care of some surface rust while I'm at it.

2. Find a shop that deals with this properly. I've seen firsthand people flipping these vehicles, and one of the things I notice is that they paint the undercarriage. As a skeptical person, I don't know if I can trust that they're doing it properly. It's one of those things where you can cover up a bad job (or no job at all). Do you know any places that do these things you can trust?

I've also thought about doing this myself, but I'm just investigating other options at the moment.

Wire wheel and frame paint the rust spots and then later on soak everything inside the frame outside and in the drain holes on the body panels with lots of fluid film. Best thing you can do to prevent the rust is spray off the outside of the frame and flush the inside out as often as possible in the winter

Fluid film is one of the best rust preventatives out there. You can do it yourself with spray cans from any auto parts place or on line.

For my 4Runner I think I used 5 cans, maybe 6. Get a pistol grip for spray paint cans at any hardware store and spray away! Clean the bottom prior to spraying, like at at a car wash that has hand held sprayers.

The benefit of spray cans is that you spray, toss the cans in the trash and you are done. With four vehicles I bought a sprayer that I have to schlep out of the garage, hook up, load the spray gun and put everything away.

I also found less mist from the spray cans as they are lower pressure. The whole process is pretty easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom