Rust Prevention for Untreated Steel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My GX470 has steel sliders and front and rear bumpers from Coastal Offroad that seem to be only be painted and not very robustly protected from salt or otherwise rusting. Last spring I lighted sanded and hit a few of the worst spots with some rust prevention spray paint but of course the rust is now back. I previously completely covered the underside of the vehicle with Amsoil MP which has done agreat job on all the treated areas.

So what do others do to protect exterior steel that you don't want to cover with something like Amsoil MP?

Since the sliders at least are welded on they're going to need to be treated in place so something like powercoating isn't possible. Paint places I've talked too recommend Line-X. Local Line-X dealer wants $1000 to treat the sliders on the vehicle or $3000 for the sliders and the front and rear bumpers and they warned they can't fully coat the reverse side if completed on the car. Hard to accept $1000 to treat the sliders even given a new set wouldn't cost a lot more and i could find something with a better finish on it.

Have others tried Line-X or other spray on options that might last a couple-few years at least?

IMG_0524.jpg

Last edited:
corrosion rates are partially inversly proportional to uncovered area. that is the smaller area exposed, the higher corrosion rate. that's why pinhole exposed area leads to through the material pitting.

Moral of the story: ensure total coverage....or leave all uncovered.

that's not my story and i'm not sticking to it :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom