Rust Assessment: 2008 TLC with 90k miles (I'm totally new to J200's) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No way I'd spend $37k for that. I'd spend $25k sure, but $37? No thanks

Yes as someone used to rust, that is in line for an Illinois vehicle.

I personally think it's a not a wise decision to even think of trading a 2019 4R for a 2008. You're gonna loose, then on top the 200 will need work, like all vehicles from 2008 do even if it a Land Cruiser.

Thats a $25-27k truck back in 2020 before all this stupid weird market times.

Right off the bat, you probably need the water pump and rad replaced. And then the rust wirebrushed and painted again.

If it were in the $20s, I'd pick it up and live with the rust, it's not a big deal. But trading a near brand new 4R for that? No effing way. I'd stick with the 4runner in any scenario.

Hope this post knocks some sense into you and this would be a stupid decision if you followed through with it.

Awful market for buyers and you loose either way as a seller and you have to get into another vehicle.

I have no idea where people are coming up with saying a 2008 LC from the Midwest with 90k miles and $37k is an awesome deal. I've been following the prices of 200s since they came out in 2008. In 2011-12, I could grab at retail price basically the exact same LC and miles you posted for $37-41k.

You wanna do what???

I’ve got an LX so no KDSS, and unfortunately no experience that I can communicate here.

I do agree with others that $36k seems steep for that vehicle.

If you’re not in a rush, keep shopping.
Off topic, but IMO this circus with astronomical prices (for everything) will be over and done with by spring at the latest. We’re about to slide into a major economic crisis in the short term, and deals will be available for those with cash on hand.
I agree we are headed for an economic slide, just not that soon. Housing and car sales will be strong through next summer. The supply chain is a year behind on many important components for vehicles,bikes and just about anything coming out of Asia. You say Spring, I say early 2023. I look at supply chains and port activity. We are looking at Feb-March before the U.S ports such as the LA port to get back to normal. Nationally we only have 7 days of cars in inventory, normally it’s 45 and less then a month of houses in inventory for sale. You have one of the biggest demographic buyers aged 33 now getting into the housing market with interest rates unseen in my lifetime. Between rebuilding of inventory and high demand with inflationary prices slowing down until commodity prices come back. It’s a disco party and everyone is all Coked up. Eventually the high will become a big downer. 🤣

To get back on topic, I personally wouldn’t buy the crusty 200 for $37k. Offer, 31k and take the remainder to a body shop to de-crust it and spray it with new rust protection. 😜

That's a pretty normal amount of rust for an '08 that spent its life in the rust belt. It'll come with the usual rust downsides (ex. KDSS valve will be tough to open), but otherwise I'm sure that LC will easily go 10 years without any significant issues.

Rust (in general) is ugly and has its problems, but many people fear it way more than they should.

And I disagree with the notion that a 13 year old vehicle is "old." Few people have any real need to be constantly upgrading their vehicles to the latest & greatest - that's just our brainwashed consumerism talking; inline with buying the latest smartphone every year. Newer and shinier is always welcome, but there's nothing wrong with owning a well maintained & reliable 20 year old car.
Amen to that last statement. A buddy of mine can drive whatever he wants. He drives a 1992 Ford Explorer that he bought new. Still likes it, still looks like new. Sees no reason to change.

My LX 570 just arrived yesterday. I paid 45k for a 2013 with 70k miles.

That was the best deal I could find after shopping (dealers) nationwide for a couple weeks.

I just ended up buying from Vroom. They had a 2011 for only 36k with 100k miles from California that I almost got, but I opted to pay more for less miles.

The price is a very steep but every used car is the same. The miles are low for that age.

The rust looks moderate. The frame looks fine. If you pick it up just start treating it for rust right away and keep it up every year. If you are modding it expect a higher bill for bolt extraction or if your doing the work get good at bolt extraction and re tapping. Get a torch and learn to meditate. Par for the course with any older vehicle in the rust belt.

It's not shot by any means but I would try to negotiate a lower price because of the headaches for any future work.

There are a few reasons I wouldn't buy a vehicle, and moderate to severe rust is right up there with a serious accident. This level of rust will create expensive issues without question - not necessarily ones that would strand you, but lots of "little things" that will be super annoying and never ending. The 2013 I bought last year with 99k on it lived its early life in IL for 2 years, and even though it is extremely clean with virtually zero visible rust, the prior owner was convinced by the dealership to replace about $5k worth of parts including the KDSS pump, LCAs, and whole bunch of other stuff when he asked them to add the little factory/OEM strut spacers. He spent a fortune getting the truck perfect through that service plus new brakes, new radiator, new BBS TRD Pro Tundra wheels and tires, etc. and then was so over it he sold it right when covid started.

I would not suggest getting rid of a 2 year old 4Runner with 14k miles for a 13 year old rusty 200 with 90k miles. The seller may be the nicest most honest person in the world, but he isn't going to be paying the bills once he signs over the title. Rust is always an uphill battle and will create expensive issues without question.

Hey mudders,

I'm considering trading my 2019 4R TRD ORP with 14,500 miles for a 2008 Toyota J200. It's located in Illinois and the interior and paint/body look nearly brand new. My concern is that the vehicle spent its entire life in central Illinois and the chassis looks to have a significant amount of corrosion. I've never owned nor spent more than 5-min in a 200, so I am completely new to them. As such, I don't know anything about what to look for when buying. Everything with this deal seems awesome but the chassis corrosion/rust is a bit concerning to me.

Vehicle Facts:
  • 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Base
  • dealership price is $36,500
  • 90,XXX miles
  • 2-owner
  • Entire life in Illinois rust-belt
  • The interior and paint are literally emaculately clean
  • The previous owner is selling the vehicle on consignment at the local Toyota dealership
    • I have spoken at length with the seller and I trust him
    • By the looks of the interior and paint, the two previous owners took great care of it.

Can you tell me if this rust is anything to be concerned about?
Is the price outrageous for the year/miles/amount of rust?

Save your money

No way I'd spend $37k for that. I'd spend $25k sure, but $37? No thanks

Yes as someone used to rust, that is in line for an Illinois vehicle.

I personally think it's a not a wise decision to even think of trading a 2019 4R for a 2008. You're gonna loose, then on top the 200 will need work, like all vehicles from 2008 do even if it a Land Cruiser.

Thats a $25-27k truck back in 2020 before all this stupid weird market times.

Right off the bat, you probably need the water pump and rad replaced. And then the rust wirebrushed and painted again.

If it were in the $20s, I'd pick it up and live with the rust, it's not a big deal. But trading a near brand new 4R for that? No effing way. I'd stick with the 4runner in any scenario.

Hope this post knocks some sense into you and this would be a stupid decision if you followed through with it.

Awful market for buyers and you loose either way as a seller and you have to get into another vehicle.

I have no idea where people are coming up with saying a 2008 LC from the Midwest with 90k miles and $37k is an awesome deal. I've been following the prices of 200s since they came out in 2008. In 2011-12, I could grab at retail price basically the exact same LC and miles you posted for $37-41k.
Bought my 08 in 12 with 65k miles for $35k

"But I am anal about my vehicles and rust is my biggest pet peeve on a vehicle." If this is the case, I suggest you keep the 4R and skip this LC. In addition to the usual preventative maintenance and initial replacement parts on the '08 LC, you'll have a LOT of time and money invested in fighting your pet peeve, especially since you also live in a salty road area. If rust were something you could live with, then price becomes an issue.

The KDSS valve screws rusted shut are really only an issue if you do suspension work. The system functions fine with rusted valve screws.

Anyone can clean up a vehicle and seem trustworthy. I can't figure out how a consignment transaction would work at a dealer? Who sells the vehicle?

Thanks to everyone that left their opinions and provided advice. I’m particularly grateful for the real talk as I prefer direct and brutally honest feedback.

While I still feel the seller was/is trustworthy and a genuinely good guy (he literally offered to let me stay in their guest suite overnight so I didn’t have to make the entire trip in one day), I would agree that this 2008 probably isn’t the best nor wisest purchase. I would agree that I’d maybe consider buying at $25k, but after reading these comments I’m not sure I could go through with it even at that price. The rust is just killing me on it.

idk what the consignment deal is that they worked out but i think it has something to do with the GM and the seller being friends. The seller is some sort of attorney and owns a newer 200 and a 62, so he’s in the Toyota family and I haven’t been burned by anyone yet. While that may sound naive and foolish, I’ve honestly had nothing but luck when deciding to put my trust in a stranger. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Alas, I have decided to forgo purchasing this rig and will continue searching for 200’s solely in warm states haha.

Thanks to everyone that left their opinions and provided advice. I’m particularly grateful for the real talk as I prefer direct and brutally honest feedback.

While I still feel the seller was/is trustworthy and a genuinely good guy (he literally offered to let me stay in their guest suite overnight so I didn’t have to make the entire trip in one day), I would agree that this 2008 probably isn’t the best nor wisest purchase. I would agree that I’d maybe consider buying at $25k, but after reading these comments I’m not sure I could go through with it even at that price. The rust is just killing me on it.

idk what the consignment deal is that they worked out but i think it has something to do with the GM and the seller being friends. The seller is some sort of attorney and owns a newer 200 and a 62, so he’s in the Toyota family and I haven’t been burned by anyone yet. While that may sound naive and foolish, I’ve honestly had nothing but luck when deciding to put my trust in a stranger. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Alas, I have decided to forgo purchasing this rig and will continue searching for 200’s solely in warm states haha.
I’m sure the seller is a super nice guy… because you are paying $10k over book value on a crusty 13 year old truck. I’d be super nice to you as well.
As to how consignment works, I’m guessing this is how it went down.

- seller- “hey, I want to trade my land cruiser in for a new Toyota RAV4. I have a cross country trip coming up.”

-dealer- “sounds great, we will give you $25k on trade.”

-seller- “I know what I have here… I think it’s worth $36k…”

-dealer- “we will sell on consignment for you and take a 10% commission.”

consignment sales are sweet when you think about it. Dealer doesn't tie up their cash on your trade. If it sells, they get paid, and if it doesn’t, they give the truck back to the seller.

consignment sales are sweet when you think about it. Dealer doesn't tie up their cash on your trade. If it sells, they get paid, and if it doesn’t, they give the truck back to the seller.
Dang, I didn't even know that was possible. That is a pretty sweet deal haha.

I still don't feel there were any ill intentions from the sellers' side because the market is apparently supporting these prices. I don't think the seller is that far off on price based on the current prices Toyota j200s are being listed at. I did take your advice in looking for LX's instead and you were right that I can get a newer, cleaner, low-mileage Lexus for the same or lower price than what the Toyota's are calling for right now. I appreciate you looking out for me and taking the time to share your advice.

Yeah, that’s why I went LX. My options locally were a 2014 with 100,000 miles and a rusty frame for 47k or a 2017 with 78,000 miles for 60k.

KBB says my minivan is worth 10k more than I bought it new for right now…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom