Rust Assessment: 2008 TLC with 90k miles (I'm totally new to J200's) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mudders,

I'm considering trading my 2019 4R TRD ORP with 14,500 miles for a 2008 Toyota J200. It's located in Illinois and the interior and paint/body look nearly brand new. My concern is that the vehicle spent its entire life in central Illinois and the chassis looks to have a significant amount of corrosion. I've never owned nor spent more than 5-min in a 200, so I am completely new to them. As such, I don't know anything about what to look for when buying. Everything with this deal seems awesome but the chassis corrosion/rust is a bit concerning to me.

Vehicle Facts:
  • 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Base
  • dealership price is $36,500
  • 90,XXX miles
  • 2-owner
  • Entire life in Illinois rust-belt
  • The interior and paint are literally emaculately clean
  • The previous owner is selling the vehicle on consignment at the local Toyota dealership
    • I have spoken at length with the seller and I trust him
    • By the looks of the interior and paint, the two previous owners took great care of it.

Can you tell me if this rust is anything to be concerned about?
Is the price outrageous for the year/miles/amount of rust?

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-18.jpeg

Unknown-17.jpeg

Unknown-16.jpeg

Unknown-15.jpeg

More pics

Unknown-14.jpeg

Unknown-13.jpeg

Unknown-12.jpeg

Unknown-11.jpeg

Unknown-10.jpeg

More pics

Unknown-9.jpeg

Unknown-8.jpeg

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-6.jpeg

Unknown-5.jpeg

More pics

Unknown-4.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

That price is stupid high for a 13 year old truck with rust. Full stop.
$25-$28k sounds about right, lc’s are priced stupid right now.

Glitch in the matrix. Duplicate post.

That price is stupid high for a 13 year old truck with rust. Full stop.
$25-$28k sounds about right, lc’s are priced stupid right now.
Based on what I'm seeing online, it's actually right in line with the rest of the market for 200's. The market is definitely nuts right now.

Since there haven't been really any major updates to the functional components of these rigs since 2008, buying a 2008 TLC with 90k is basically the same as buying any year of 200 with 90k miles (aside from the front-end facelift and interior styling/luxury/tech), right?

I will just say this. A 13 year old truck is old. My 2015 lx went into service in December of 15, so it’s now 5 years old. There was a huge difference in jumping from my 07 lx470 to a 15 lx570. The interior still smells new. That’s 7 less years of farts, kiddie carpool, Cheerios, milk spills, etc etc. on the exterior that’s 7 less years of exposure to the elements, rock chips, sun fading, etc etc.

I paid $43k for my 15 lx570 with 53k miles on it in December of 2019. It’s been said for a long time here, “buy the newest, cleanest truck with the lowest miles that you can afford.” I think that’s excellent advice.

That's a pretty normal amount of rust for an '08 that spent its life in the rust belt. It'll come with the usual rust downsides (ex. KDSS valve will be tough to open), but otherwise I'm sure that LC will easily go 10 years without any significant issues.

Rust (in general) is ugly and has its problems, but many people fear it way more than they should.

And I disagree with the notion that a 13 year old vehicle is "old." Few people have any real need to be constantly upgrading their vehicles to the latest & greatest - that's just our brainwashed consumerism talking; inline with buying the latest smartphone every year. Newer and shinier is always welcome, but there's nothing wrong with owning a well maintained & reliable 20 year old car.

That seems like crazy money to me for that rust. I’ve tried dealing with that dealer twice and it was a no go both times. High on price and super low on trade.

Can you even get financing on a 2008 truck? I honestly don’t know. It’s op’s money, so via con dios. But I can tell you this… I paid $7300 for my 01 lc in 2016 and 15k for my 07lx470. Op is dropping $36k on a truck that is one year newer than my 07, and it’s crusty. My .02.

Duplicate

That's a pretty normal amount of rust for an '08 that spent its life in the rust belt. It'll come with the usual rust downsides (ex. KDSS valve will be tough to open), but otherwise I'm sure that LC will easily go 10 years without any significant issues.
Thanks so much for replying. This was the kind of advice/opinions I was looking for. I saw a few threads about the KDSS valve plate and it looks like I'll definitely have to deal with that soon. This will be a daily driver and wont spend much time going on trails or doing heavy offroading. But I am anal about my vehicles and rust is my biggest pet peeve on a vehicle.

What are the consequences of having a rusted KDSS valve? What were to happen if I did nothing about it? Just trying to get a gauge of how soon I would need to address it.

That seems like crazy money to me for that rust. I’ve tried dealing with that dealer twice and it was a no go both times. High on price and super low on trade.
They're giving me $40k for the 4Runner on trade. The salesguy I've been working with has been a great communicator and even sent me all these photos of the chassis within 30min of me asking for them. I generally hate dealing with salesmen (actually just dealerships in general lol) but my experience with email/text thus far has been positive.

Can you even get financing on a 2008 truck? I honestly don’t know. It’s op’s money, so via con dios. But I can tell you this… I paid $7300 for my 01 lc in 2016 and 15k for my 07lx470. Op is dropping $36k on a truck that is one year newer than my 07, and it’s crusty. My .02.
Funny you bring that up becasue I haven't been able to get any bank to agree to financing the full price due to the age and because they go off of NADA which valued it at $28,000 private party.

Also, you're aware that a 2008 is a J200 and not a J100, right?

But I can tell you this… I paid $7300 for my 01 lc in 2016 and 15k for my 07lx470. Op is dropping $36k on a truck that is one year newer than my 07, and it’s crusty. My .02.
I didn't mean for my last message to sound condescending or like I was being snide. I just wanted to make sure since I'm asking about a 200 and not a 100.

Funny you bring that up becasue I haven't been able to get any bank to agree to financing the full price due to the age and because they go off of NADA which valued it at $28,000 private party.

Also, you're aware that a 2008 is a J200 and not a J100, right?
Yes I’m aware that the 100 and 200 are different. I’ve owned them both.
Sooooo, you looking for 100% financing on a a crusty 13 year old vehicle. Good luck with that.
Just for giggles, I wanted to see some comps. Found multiple Lexus around me that could be good alternatives.
Good luck, op!

Yes I’m aware that the 100 and 200 are different. I’ve owned them both.
Sooooo, you looking for 100% financing on a a crusty 13 year old vehicle. Good luck with that.
Just for giggles, I wanted to see some comps. Found multiple Lexus around me that could be good alternatives.
Yeah, again, I apologize if my comment came off as me being a jerk, definitely not my intention at all. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding. I appreciate your input on this.

I've been looking everywhere and this is the lowest mileage/best condition 200 I've been able to find. Have any links to your findings? I'll take to googling for Lexus 200's as well.

Thanks so much for replying. This was the kind of advice/opinions I was looking for. I saw a few threads about the KDSS valve plate and it looks like I'll definitely have to deal with that soon. This will be a daily driver and wont spend much time going on trails or doing heavy offroading. But I am anal about my vehicles and rust is my biggest pet peeve on a vehicle.

What are the consequences of having a rusted KDSS valve? What were to happen if I did nothing about it? Just trying to get a gauge of how soon I would need to address it.
I’ve got an LX so no KDSS, and unfortunately no experience that I can communicate here.

I do agree with others that $36k seems steep for that vehicle.

If you’re not in a rush, keep shopping.
Off topic, but IMO this circus with astronomical prices (for everything) will be over and done with by spring at the latest. We’re about to slide into a major economic crisis in the short term, and deals will be available for those with cash on hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom