running with no AC belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, lost the AC belt on my 89 HJ61 last night. Is there any cons to running without it ( it's -34 today don't think I need AC ) Never gets hot enough for AC in Yellowknife so is it worth taking the compressor out ? That belt doesn't run anything else I'm not seeing does it?:cheers:

Lots of 60 series never came with AC, I wouldn't be concerned. I just retrofitted AC onto my 62, but had to pull the belt (and compressor) because it howled like a banshee, now, I'm once again AC-less.

I ran without mine in my 89 for a while.. just don't turn the ac on. Won't hurt anything

Thanks, mabey when it warms up in June I'll take the whole unit out. Is it pretty strait forward or is there some tricks with hoses ect ?

Howdy! As long as the AC belt ONLY runs the compressor, it is fine to run without the belt. The only bad thing is that the defrosters will not be as effective in clearing your windshield as quickly. Lots of people remove the whole system instead of spending $$ and time to maintain it. John

If you're thinking of taking the compressor all the way out, help save the environment. Get a shop to vacuum out the freon before you disconnect it, even if it is the 'safe' kind.

Ya I have noticed a lack of heat but thought it was just the outside temp. She never got real warm at below -30 temps but if there's a noticable diff when it gets into the -20's I'll have to put a new belt on.

The AC doesn't help with the heat, but it does help with dehumidification (removing the water from the air that causes the "fogging"). When you run your defroster with heat AND the AC on the air first passes over the AC coils cooling the air down. This lowers the dewpoint and water condenses out of the air. The the water is heated back up via the heater core. This raises the dewpoint. This air is now able to absorb moisture that is condensed on the insdie of the windshield.

Most new cars with tight weatherstripping use AC in combination with heat to defrost. With a tight weatherstripping seal and little to no fresh air make up, the breathing of a few passengers will quickly saturate the air with water and the windows will fog up. It's probably less important for a 60-series, because these trucks are not so tight to begin with, but the AC does make the defogger more effective.

The AC doesn't help with the heat, but it does help with dehumidification (removing the water from the air that causes the "fogging"). When you run your defroster with heat AND the AC on the air first passes over the AC coils cooling the air down. This lowers the dewpoint and water condenses out of the air. The the water is heated back up via the heater core. This raises the dewpoint. This air is now able to absorb moisture that is condensed on the insdie of the windshield.

Most new cars with tight weatherstripping use AC in combination with heat to defrost. With a tight weatherstripping seal and little to no fresh air make up, the breathing of a few passengers will quickly saturate the air with water and the windows will fog up. It's probably less important for a 60-series, because these trucks are not so tight to begin with, but the AC does make the defogger more effective.

Thanks 2mbb, no she aint air tight but something to think about

My defroster:

shamwow.jpg

If you're thinking of taking the compressor all the way out, help save the environment. Get a shop to vacuum out the freon before you disconnect it, even if it is the 'safe' kind.

This, please. If everyone let their refrigerant out just once, that would be alot of refrigerant being let out.....I've had this done a couple of times. Even paid extra once for a house call from a local HVAC guy. Did it in my driveway for 50 bucks total. A shop should do it for next to nothing.....

You can run without the belt for a while. But if you want to keep the AC, put a belt back on it and kick it on once in a while. Those compressors can freeze up with lack of use. Then you won't have it if you want it. Sounds like you probably won't ever need it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom