Running board removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally removed the running boards and tail light armor from my 80. I think it looks pretty good after shedding a few pounds! Next to go is the brush gaurd, but it will probably stay on until a new bumper comes along.

Here are a few before pics:

image.jpg

image.jpg

....and a few after shots:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think it looks much better, thanks for all the suggestions from you guys to get rid of it. What do you think?

The only real downside to the removal....no more running board poses!!!
image.jpg

I have the same piece of cardboard under mine. ;)

You just need to get a pair of sliders to stand on and you can do slider posts instead. Plus, you might want to remove the brush guard, I have heard guys talk about having A LOT of damage done to the front end when they were in a wreck and most of the damage was from the brush guard. Food for thought. You have to love the white color on the 80's congrats.

Looks good, but I would get some sliders to protect your rocker panels and definitely remove the brush guard. If the front bumper gets banged up it is not a big deal since it sounds like you plan on getting a new one in the future anyway. If the brush guard gets hit however it may cause damage to the lights, turn signals, hood, front quarter panel etc. Search "damage multiplier" on mud and see why people recommend removing the brush guard.

Did anybody ask if she does a lot of rock crawling ? Do they even have trails like that in Hawaii ? If not then there isn't much need for sliders. Especially when they would have to be custom fabbed or shipped across the channel.

Yeah that's funny...
I just took mine off this morning.
According to my calculations, I would say they are about 40 lbs each & at 1 horse power per 7 pounds that's like, well about, em a gain of 100 horsepower...
20150815_181648.jpg

Last edited:
@Aloha Jen we see lots of pics of you but I want to see one with grease on your knuckles. Feels nice to "make it yours" does it not? Im glad to see the progress. Truck looks great.

Did anybody ask if she does a lot of rock crawling ? Do they even have trails like that in Hawaii ? If not then there isn't much need for sliders. Especially when they would have to be custom fabbed or shipped across the channel.
No rock crawling, not too many places here for that...at least on Oahu. And true, shipping would be allot.

Almost feels like you got a free lift without the running boards I bet!
Yeah, lost some weight and got a couple inches of lift in just the right places....on the truck that is, wish it was that easy for me to do the same!

@Aloha Jen we see lots of pics of you but I want to see one with grease on your knuckles. Feels nice to "make it yours" does it not? Im glad to see the progress. Truck looks great.
Fortunately I havnt had to do a lot of work on it since I got it just a few months ago, plus I am not very knowledgable under the hood and would probably wear latex gloves to avoid the greasy knuckles. But I think I hear what your saying....less pics of me as a proud LC owner posing with my 80 and more of just my greasy knuckles.

Lol. I wouldn't want you to stop taking the proud 80 owner pics. I guess my point was it feels nice to work on it in any capacity. For what it is worth I wear those blue gloves as well when I work on mine. Take care.

I'm with half k cruiser, I haven't been to hawaii, but I kind of doubt rock crawling is a big activity there. I'd just enjoy having less plastic and weight hanging off the cruiser.

Ford Island! Nice pics here. Don't see too many 80 enthusiasts on Oahu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom