Rumble/Vibration at very specific throttle position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just returned from a ~1,500 mile round trip and fought this issue nearly the entire time. I'm getting a strange rumble or vibration when the gas pedal is at a very specific position. It almost feels like running over shoulder rumble strips, but not quite as extreme. It's a full car vibration that is both audible and can be felt in the seats, pedals, and steering wheel. At 60 mph and higher, the vibration happens very consistently when I have the pedal between approximately 10-20% position, but goes away at 0-10% and 20-100% throttle positions. It's a frustrating position for it to happen, because the throttle position where it vibrates is the exact throttle position that keeps the car at a consistent speed above 65mph or so. When I press the pedal above the 20% position the vibration goes away, and then when I release the pedal the vibration occurs as soon as I reach the 10-20% position and goes away when the pedal is released past the 10% position. The vibration obviously also occurs at the same position when using cruise control.

It's a 1998 with 325k. Timing belt was done around 320k, and the suspension is all OEM in great condition.

The day before I left, my mechanic did an oil change and replaced all four corner rotors and pads (OEM). The brakes feel perfect, so it's likely unrelated. However, I don't remember feeling this issue prior to the work, so the brake swap may or may not have something to do with it. I'm getting the tires rotated and balanced today, but this also doesn't strike me as a tire issue, since the rumble is only present during acceleration or deceleration and goes away when coasting, regardless of speed.

Any thoughts or ideas on where I should start working to solve the issue?

U joints first, and front axle half-shafts (CV axles) next. Grease all the u-joints (and splines while you're under there) before considering replacement. If greasing helps (temporarily), then you could have a u-joint on its way out.

Thank you both! Don't know why that wasn't my first thought as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom