Intermittent lack of throttle response in '99 LX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I have a long term problem with my 99 LX470 (245k miles) similar to other problems described here, but maybe not 100% the same. Occasionally, upon starting I get poor throttle response as if I am not even pushing the pedal down at all. It will, generally, begin to accelerate after a few seconds. It tends to be more noticeable from a stop upon initial depression of the pedal, with no gain in rpm or revving at all until it "kicks in." The point at with it does engage is varied, and within the same trip it may come and go. It idles fine, although it has died a few times when this is happening. I have had it into the shop twice and they said I had a code for a throttle position sensor, which they replaced. That didn't change anything. Brought it back, same code, so they replaced a connector on the throttle mechanism somewhere and checked the wires. No change. All I had tried previously was replacing the gas cap and running a bottle of Heat through it because I was guessing water in the fuel (although you'd think bad fuel would affect idle as well.) Some possible clues:
-Check engine light usually does not come on, but has several times.
-The problem will go away entirely if I shut the truck off and start it again, even when it is really acting up.
-It idles fine.
-It has progressively gotten worse over several years.
-It does not seem to happen when the cruise control is on.
-Just the other day I had a strange experience where this was happening, so I put the cruise control on. It maintained speed fine, but when I got into town and slowed down, check engine came on (orange) and I had no power at all, but the truck was still running. I tried the cruise again but it didn't work. I pulled over and it was idling higher than normal, and when I would put it into gear it with lurch violently and drop RPMs but still no throttle response at all. Restarting the truck fixed the problem, although check engine stayed on.

I'm weary of taking it back into the shop without an idea of what to try next because it's getting expensive to keep trying things that don't fix it. There is a Toyota dealer in town I could take it to but they are even more expensive and it's a rural area without a lot of older 100 series running around, so I don't know if they would have experience with this isssue.

Anyone experienced anything similar, or even better, fixed anything similar? ;) Thank you!

Hello!

I have a long term problem with my 99 LX470 (245k miles) similar to other problems described here, but maybe not 100% the same. Occasionally, upon starting I get poor throttle response as if I am not even pushing the pedal down at all. It will, generally, begin to accelerate after a few seconds. It tends to be more noticeable from a stop upon initial depression of the pedal, with no gain in rpm or revving at all until it "kicks in." The point at with it does engage is varied, and within the same trip it may come and go. It idles fine, although it has died a few times when this is happening. I have had it into the shop twice and they said I had a code for a throttle position sensor, which they replaced. That didn't change anything. Brought it back, same code, so they replaced a connector on the throttle mechanism somewhere and checked the wires. No change. All I had tried previously was replacing the gas cap and running a bottle of Heat through it because I was guessing water in the fuel (although you'd think bad fuel would affect idle as well.) Some possible clues:
-Check engine light usually does not come on, but has several times.
-The problem will go away entirely if I shut the truck off and start it again, even when it is really acting up.
-It idles fine.
-It has progressively gotten worse over several years.
-It does not seem to happen when the cruise control is on.
-Just the other day I had a strange experience where this was happening, so I put the cruise control on. It maintained speed fine, but when I got into town and slowed down, check engine came on (orange) and I had no power at all, but the truck was still running. I tried the cruise again but it didn't work. I pulled over and it was idling higher than normal, and when I would put it into gear it with lurch violently and drop RPMs but still no throttle response at all. Restarting the truck fixed the problem, although check engine stayed on.

I'm weary of taking it back into the shop without an idea of what to try next because it's getting expensive to keep trying things that don't fix it. There is a Toyota dealer in town I could take it to but they are even more expensive and it's a rural area without a lot of older 100 series running around, so I don't know if they would have experience with this isssue.

Anyone experienced anything similar, or even better, fixed anything similar? ;) Thank you!

I experienced the exact same issue yesterday.

I replaced the throttle body, no issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom